SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Gah, it's dead, Jim (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230641)

Onkel Neal 04-09-17 07:49 AM

So, couldn't get the PC to work properly so I reinstalled Windows 7 from the disc. That went well, but I whiffed by the step where it mentioned partitioned drives. So not it appears the PC has a drive C: with 280 free GBs and a Recovery Drive E: with about 350MB and only 55 MB free. And it appears when I add files and installed programs to the PC, it adds them to the E:drive, which is rapidly running out of space.

So now I am looking for a way to change the size of the partitions. But hey, it runs fast like it used to :)

aanker 04-09-17 11:04 AM

Is the Windows directory and Program Files - Program Files (x86) on Drive C: ?

It should be booting to Drive C: and Programs should be installing to Drive C:

That is the objective. If Windows etc installed to drive C: it should be relatively easy to get it to boot to drive C:

It shouldn't be booting to drive E: and Programs should not be installing to drive E: either. Drive E: or drive D: is the recovery drive.

It's hard for me to give advice over the internet. Hopefully the Guru's will chime in.

Onkel Neal 04-09-17 12:16 PM

Oh, were spot on, the first time I reinstalled Win7 yesterday, I breezed through the screen about where to install Windows.

I reinstalled again, this time I selected C: and all is good. PC is fast and nice again.

aanker 04-09-17 12:38 PM

Great news!

McBeck 04-20-17 02:48 AM

Was it possible to boot to a Safe mode?

GT182 04-24-17 12:52 PM

Neal, I just went thru that a couple of weeks ago. 2nd time this year. It was probably Ransomeware that hit you. It's nasty and you can't do a thing but reinstall the OS. Or if you're near one, go to a Microsoft Store and let them do it. They can save everything you have after they get rid of the virus. It will cost you 49.99 but it's well worth it.

I go it from downloading a piece of software from a website I thought was safe.... and it usually is. When I did the install it took over and I was scrod. These AHs are hacking good sites and putting their crap in software files we download and think are safe.

Rockin Robbins 04-24-17 03:15 PM

And that's yet another reason to run Linux. No ransomware!

Gilbou 04-26-17 08:40 PM

On my own system I did an install of the OS (I'm using 8.1)
Then I did an "image" out of it which goes into a USB key (I got a 128 Gb but the backup uses FAR LESS than this)

Every year I reinstall my system from the image.
All data/programs are stored in separate disks and the only needed thing is to update the drivers for the graphic card.

Re-imaging the disk from the USB is 5 minutes.
So all the install/configuration part is only done once.