SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Bernard is back! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131992)

edjcox 03-15-08 10:13 PM

Bernard name translated

:cool:

Bernard Von Unfal

Bernard of accidents

kinda cute...
:rotfl:

Sailor Steve 03-15-08 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rykaird
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnee
Maybe I'm dumb - but whats the significance of this? I've been plaing the SH series since it first came out and this doesn't ring any bells.

Bernard is the German equivalent of Gilligan.

He is one of the more indispensable members of the crew, because he's the guy you blame for every stupid mistake you make.

It all started one sunny day in the SH3 boards, when a ferret named Dowly needed a name for his newly-founded Humorous Pictures thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=84773

One simple joke and a legend was born.:rock:

Task Force 08-20-08 01:31 AM

:huh: I think UBI is finaly paying attention to us, they used something we made up.:huh: (i think)

Sailor Steve 08-20-08 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Task Force
:huh: I think UBI is finaly paying attention to us, they used something we made up.:huh: (i think)

UBI has always paid attention. When people were complaining about the 'babysitter' Crew Management system in SH3, one player said what it really needs is a 'Watch Bill' automatic rotation system, since that's the way it works in real life; and look what turned up in SH4. They read these threads, and they pay attention to what the players want.:sunny:

LeeVanSpliff 08-20-08 04:08 AM

Gotta love UBI for including a joke like that ... it won't mean a thing to most people but it'll put a smile on subsimmers faces.

I always want to name my German captainsafter Karl Heinrich, Graf von Altberg-Ehrenstein, Lieutenant-Commander in the Imperial German Navy from H.P. Lovecraft's submarine short story "The Temple". Unfortunately there aren't enough characters for that.

Short story can be found HERE if anyone is interested.

SteamWake 08-20-08 09:19 AM

[quote=Sailor Steve]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Task Force
They read these threads, and they pay attention to what the players want.:sunny:

Strangley enough most were complaining that Bernard was on their boat and they got us back by making him the Captain :p

Now I know that Bernard was a 'stand in' for the american version of the same sort of thing... now what was that? Jonah? Murphy? cant remember.

Dowly 08-20-08 09:26 AM

Soo, can I get... say... 10% of what Ubi got off SHIV? I mean, being the daddy-o of B and all. :hmm:

As a side note, Bernard's 3rd birthday is just around the corner, 25th of September. :up:

Sailor Steve 08-20-08 10:00 AM

He seems to be quite precocious.

frenzied 08-25-08 02:13 AM

Bernard even made it onto the Bismark!
I was watching 'Sink the Bismark', and at about 20 minutes the German Admiral and Captain on Bismark are given a weather report, and the Admiral says "Thank you Bernard" to the reporting officer. Now we know the true reason the Bismark was sunk...

Brag 09-13-08 04:45 PM

This is absolutely hilarious. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Task Force 09-13-08 11:16 PM

I just was playing around with my new boat, Went and checked my crews names, and there he was, Bernard was in my list.:huh: :rotfl:

spike12 09-22-08 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake

Now I know that Bernard was a 'stand in' for the american version of the same sort of thing... now what was that? Jonah? Murphy? cant remember.

I think It was Dimsdale:hmm:

Task Force 09-22-08 08:08 PM

I think we oughta make a new one up for the allies, gotta sound like Bernard.(Not Barney I dont like that dinosuar):rotfl:

Sailor Steve 09-23-08 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake

I think It was Dimsdale:hmm:

No. Dinsdale was British; a character from Monty Python.

Task Force 09-23-08 06:24 PM

Try a search.;)