SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Command Aces of the Deep and Win 7 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168641)

Feuer Frei! 04-28-10 07:55 AM

Command Aces of the Deep and Win 7

I'm so close to getting this to work, but it trips over on me with a sound-related error.
What i've read so far is that sound is not going to be possible with this game (?) to run it.
To disable sound before running it, create shortcut to desktop of aodcd and put "-s" (to disable sound) after aodcd.exe
Well, it spits up a a error saying not correct path or something like that so can't use that option atm.
Anyone got this thing to work on Win 7 64-bit?

IanC 04-28-10 09:33 AM

CAOD is very picky when it comes to sound cards. I got mine to work in XP by disabling my sound blaster and letting my mother board sound take over (or the other way around, I don't remember).

Dan D 04-30-10 09:29 AM

Hi, I have just installed CAOD on my new netbook with windows 7 and the game is running.

I am new to Windows 7, but here is what I did:

right-click game icon, click "property", click "compatibility" and there you

1) click "windows 95 compatibility mode" and
2) click "265 colours",

save changes and start game.

The error message "sound related error" does no longer occur.

At least, I think that was what I did. Like I said, Windows 7 is all new to me.

I love it: COAD on my little netbook.

Feuer Frei! 04-30-10 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan D (Post 1378369)
Hi, I have just installed CAOD on my new netbook with windows 7 and the game is running.

I am new to Windows 7, but here is what I did:

2) click "265 colours",

save changes and start game.

The error message "sound related error" does no longer occur.

At least, I think that was what I did. Like I said, Windows 7 is all new to me.

I love it: COAD on my little netbook.

Thanks Dan D, i'll give that a go when i get a bit of time. :up:

Feuer Frei! 04-30-10 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! (Post 1378452)
Thanks Dan D, i'll give that a go when i get a bit of time. :up:

It works! Problem solved, many thanks Dan D! :yeah:

Dan D 05-02-10 12:57 PM

You're welcome!

Enjoy!

Nippelspanner 12-21-10 12:40 PM

I have Win7 (64bit) and no luck with CAOD. When I try to install it (setup.exe) he is moaning that I do not have a 32bit system. When I try to launch the AODCD.exe, he is talking about an error (missing shell.dll)

How did you guys installed this at all? I would love to play AOD again, still the best subsim of all times...

Any tips? :cry:

fitzcarraldo 01-12-11 07:15 AM

Hi, mates! I want to install my original AOTD in W7, but the setup.exe file donīt work with W95 compatibility, 256 colours and administrator rights.

How can I install the game? I want to "extract" some sound stuff and graphics for making mods for my SH3.

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Anton88 02-23-11 01:20 PM

Whoever still has problems with Command Aces of the Deep let me know, I might me able to help.
I made mine working just fine the other day - on Win7!

fitzcarraldo 02-23-11 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton88 (Post 1604169)
Whoever still has problems with Command Aces of the Deep let me know, I might me able to help.

Great!!! Can you post a "tutorial" fot that? Iīm nostalgic of the old good times and I want to play a campaign in my laptop (W7).

Many thanks and best regards!

Anton88 02-24-11 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 1572578)
.... I want to "extract" some sound stuff and graphics for making mods for my SH3.

Many thanks and best regards....

:)

What do you want to extract from the game?
I'm trying to extract the Emblems or add new ones but I dont know what file/folder they are located.

I also want the torpedo impact sound in Aces of the Deep - its way better then SH3. Maybe you can help me find that, It's not in any format that I know of..
cant find it
:cry:

fitzcarraldo 02-24-11 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton88 (Post 1604958)
:)

What do you want to extract from the game?
I'm trying to extract the Emblems or add new ones but I dont know what file/folder they are located.

I also want the torpedo impact sound in Aces of the Deep - its way better then SH3. Maybe you can help me find that, It's not in any format that I know of..
cant find it
:cry:

Iīll try with your instructions, and after, Iīll extract some stuff, if itīs possible.

I think (I donīt remember it), the sound files are "wav".

I have the original CD with mediterranean expansion, but the problem is the game is uninstallable. SETUP.EXE donīt work with W7 (compatibility W95, 256 colours).

The files in the CD are compressed; I canīt extract they. But Iīll try with your method. Thanks for PM.

Regards.

Fish In The Water 04-07-11 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1376172)
CAOD is very picky when it comes to sound cards.

Very true...

Great sim, but it was designed at just the wrong time in the evolution of sound cards. I've spent what seems like countless hours trying to come up with working configurations on various systems (some with success and some not).

That being said, I'm glad to hear reports of success on Win 7. Good news! Very encouraging indeed!! :rock:

ironcoffins 12-16-12 09:40 PM

help....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton88 (Post 1604169)

hi folks.. tried what you said.. but it still won't work. 256, win 95 and admin rights. ???? ideas?????

Dan D 12-18-12 03:07 AM

So you tried this?:

"install game,

2) click "265 colours",
3) save changes."

You have made sure that you really have saved the changes, and the game still wont start?

Simply ignore the error message "sound related error" if it pops up and don't use the voice recognition while you are playing the game, that makes the game crash.

What happens if you try to run the game? What error messages do you get?

Nippelspanner 12-18-12 05:29 AM

Mh, I still have an .exe file installer for AOD+Addon (not CAOD) that comes together with the correct/compatible version od DosBox. It worked fine for me after many other versions did not. I installed, launched and played. Sound, music, all was there.

If interested and your tries fail, tell me.

How is the legal status of this old Gem anyway? Is it legal to get it from abandonware pages and the like? I mean you cant buy it anywhere except used at ebay (sometimes).

If this is legal/fine with Subsim, I would load it up and publish the installer.

Sailor Steve 12-18-12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nippelspanner (Post 1977778)
How is the legal status of this old Gem anyway? Is it legal to get it from abandonware pages and the like? I mean you cant buy it anywhere except used at ebay (sometimes).

If this is legal/fine with Subsim, I would load it up and publish the installer.

I'm not sure, but asking that question publically at Subsim is problematic in itself.
Quote:

We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of warez, abandonware, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq....ules2_faq_item

I don't believe you've crossed that line just asking about the legal status. I'm reporting the post, not to get you in trouble, but as the most effective way of finding out. That should get a quick response from Neal. :sunny:

Nippelspanner 12-18-12 11:18 AM

You are right, sorry.
I am really not even sure what the games status is. Is it considered abandonware?

Hope someone knows.

Onkel Neal 12-18-12 07:42 PM

Steve, thanks for allowing me to help with this issue. Nipplespanner, I really salute you for your love of the classic games. :salute: Go ahead and post your.exe file installer for AOD+Addon.

Yes, historically Subsim has been very careful to honor copyright and intellectual property rights of game makers. I'm sure you understand how important it is to be on the right side of that. The rules here do not allow linking to or discussing unlicensed games and programs, it's been that way since 1999. I think if you were to ask, people would say, "Oh, yeah, Subsim has been a stickler for standing up for game makers and not allowing the forum to become a hive for illegal download activity."

However, PC games were still relatively new in 1999. Today, a game like Aces of the Deep is 20 years old. You are correct, the game has not been for sale new by Sierra for many years. The company that owned the rights to the game, Sierra, was absorbed by Vivendi, and that company taken over by Activision. Both of the former brands have disappeared. As Wikipedia states:
In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, sharing of such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights.
I honestly do not know the true legality of allowing an .exe file installer for AOD+Addon to be available here. I can say sincerely, I do not think it is a problem. I do not think there is a concerned party who would be injured by it.

I would like to amend the rules to state that "Abandonware: games that are over 10 years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question."

Time change. I've been told even the Constitution of the United States has been amended a few times. Subsim's rules regarding piracy, illegal game downloads, cracks, and other similar contrivances for current, recent, and commerically games that are widely available; and non-abandonware, will remain in effect.

Sailor Steve 12-18-12 08:14 PM

Thank you, Neal, for clearing that up. I'm sure it will make folks interested in the older games happy.