SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   The gawd-almighty merged DRM in Silent Hunter V thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160764)

Akula Osis 02-20-10 02:23 PM

This release will be a wait and see for me, I'm in no rush to endure the frustration of dealing with this insanity :damn:

Gabucino, your rant really made me laugh. But the bottom line, is whether they like your language or not, your a paying customer and have showed loyalty through your purchases. Can the copies you've purchased not be played on a regular PC?

These DRM discussions always drive me insane, I change my hardware components almost monthly as they go onsale. Are they not smart enough to figure out hard core gamers operate in this fashion?

Sniper297 02-20-10 02:25 PM

"That's the plan", they never heard the old adage that "no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy"? I'll be voting with my wallet - I'm not buying it.

Buck_O 02-20-10 02:36 PM

Its too bad it comes to this, (DRM) I don't like it, but I can certainly understand UBISOFT's position.

I know that if I created something (weather that be art,music, a computer game a book etc...) & put my heart into it, for both love of creating & for a profit; and then people started stealing it. Then I would go to great lengths to protect it. If I could not do that, I mean protect it & get a profit out of it, then I suppose I would give up. After all I have a family to feed like the rest of us.

I know from personal experience that many of our younger people (my children of whom I've spoke at great lengths to about this) do not understand the cause & effect of stealing intellectual property. Do it enough and the effect is a decline in quality.

The best anyone can be at anything, is highly motivated by money $$$$. And computer games fit nicely into that statement.

That is why most of the greatest creations the world has ever seen has come out of the United States. The country has created a haven, for people to create & make a profit. That is being chipped away at today... but I digress.

UBISOFT has to make a profit in order to continue making games of the quality that the Silent Hunter series has given us. Obviously that profit is being threatened by thieves, thus we now have DRM..

I strongly suggest that you support creativity. Buy it! the art, music, games, etc...and give the maker a good price for it, or else, if the artist can't make a profit, ...we all loose, and games like SH5 get a anti-theft collar like DRM or worse they may go the way of the dodo bird

zakarpatska 02-20-10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck_O (Post 1274864)
That is why most of the greatest creations the world has ever seen has come out of the United States. The country has created a haven, for people to create & make a profit. That is being chipped away at today... but I digress.

Which creations were you thinking of? On my short list for the greatest inventions (creations?) would be the car (Germany, 1880s), the steam engine (England, 1690s), the train (England 1780s), the electronic digital computer (England 1943), nuclear fission (Italy, 1932), telescope (Italy 1600s), screw propeller (Austria-Hungary, 1820s), Diesel engine (Germany, 1850s), piano (Italy, 1690s), reinforced concrete (France, 1850s), steel (Turkey or China, roughly 2000 B.C.E), etc. I guess it depends on what you consider greatest or what qualifies as a creation.

One the Americans I admire, Jonas Salk, does not seem to have had profit as his primary motivation though he gave to the human race more than most. Something to think about.

Perhaps you were thinking of Al Gore and the Internet?

Uber Gruber 02-20-10 05:28 PM

Quote:

"We know that requiring a permanent online connection is not a happy point for a lot of PC gamers, but it is necessary for the system to work."
Looks like PC Gamer got stuck with a lemon. The usual 2D suited type regurgitating the DRM 'official' position just like a lackey.

Its all about the system boys....sod the customers.

Nutters!:haha:

jwilliams 02-20-10 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck_O (Post 1274864)

UBISOFT has to make a profit in order to continue making games of the quality that the Silent Hunter series has given us. Obviously that profit is being threatened by thieves, thus we now have DRM..

I strongly suggest that you support creativity. Buy it! the art, music, games, etc...and give the maker a good price for it, or else, if the artist can't make a profit, ...we all loose, and games like SH5 get a anti-theft collar like DRM or worse they may go the way of the dodo bird

I'm not against Ubisoft making a profit, nor am i against them protecting their software.

But what I am against is buying a product that I can not use or causes so much annoyance thats its almost unusable.

If Ubi's servers are down im unable to use my product, if the server goes down while playing i could posibly lose my time spent playing since i last saved. And if i decide to play again in 5 years time, ubi's server may not be there to allow me to install the product.

IanC 02-20-10 05:37 PM

You know, I'm actually starting to wish that SH5 would come out on console. I mean, it would remove the whole DRM thing right. :hmmm:
Naww nevermind, I'm talking crazy, I need some sleep...

jwilliams 02-20-10 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1275073)
You know, I'm actually starting to wish that SH5 would come out on console. I mean, it would remove the whole DRM thing right. :hmmm:
Naww nevermind, I'm talking crazy, I need some sleep...

What makes you think console's dont have DRM??

Quote:

Microsoft STILL has yet to fix their DRM licensing issues for Xbox Live Marketplace downloads, locking many people out of the content they've paid for. So when your 360 gets the RRoD, they will fix it, but in the process break everything you've downloaded from XBLM, leaving it to you to spend months on the phone with XBL Support.
http://my.imaginationispower.com/archives/000870.html

Prob not as bad as DRM on pc, but im sure it will be in a few years.

tommyk 02-20-10 06:00 PM

Quote:

"We know that requiring a permanent online connection is not a happy point for a lot of PC gamers, but it is necessary for the system to work."
The system knows what is best for you! :) Who will they blame for low sales figures? :)

Catfish 02-20-10 06:15 PM

Another idea for a newspaper DRM :

http://chimptron.com/?p=30

Read-me not headquarters :rock:
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Greetings,
Catfish

Arclight 02-20-10 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyk (Post 1275105)
Who will they blame for low sales figures? :)

Blame Ubi, just like we do! :lol:

Oh, wait... well, they could still blame Microsoft, maybe EA or Activision. :hmmm:

tommyk 02-20-10 06:26 PM

> Newspaper vendors to stop piracy with invisible ink

haha, catfish, you made my day. :up:

JScones 02-20-10 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyk (Post 1275105)
The system knows what is best for you! :) Who will they blame for low sales figures? :)

Will be interesting how this pans out. I'd love to hear the Ubisoft spin doctors explain the cause if SH5 sells poorly *and* isn't cracked. They can't blame the pirates then...

...although I have a feeling that they will still somehow find a way (my guess is somehow connecting the inevitable cracking of AC2 to SH5)...

Indiana_Jones 02-20-10 07:01 PM

I was gonna buy SHV & was so looking forward to it, but I will not allow myself to buy a game with a such a fascist DRM system. :nope:

-Indy

Onkel Neal 02-20-10 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann (Post 1274368)

So for now, the nutshell version:

UBISOFT SUCKS... and the DRM is the idiots way to nuke whole villages to kill lone insurgents.

Good post Mookie.

(No offense intended Neal, I really like you... but it is in yours and Subsim's interests to defend Ubisoft's use of said DRM w/SH5.

I'm not sure how that's in my interest. You think Ubisoft has done me any favors? :DL