SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [REL] "New" old unit: Queen Mary ocean liner \ troop transport (Reworked 2017 edition) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233268)

VonDos 10-06-17 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517228)
That's a deal that I would jump on VonDos, accept Kendras offer, before he realizes the troubles he is getting in :D

More than OK for me.
PM Sent to Kendras =)

@Gap, thanks for your description!

Kendras 10-07-17 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonDos (Post 2517282)
More than OK for me.
PM Sent to Kendras =)

PM sent ;)

Kendras 10-07-17 03:25 AM

Ready to work ! :)

https://i.imgur.com/28KoPcj.png

Kendras 10-07-17 03:38 AM

@gap: With your method, how do you think it's possible to have a halo effect around the portholes ? like this:

https://i.imgur.com/F9L9IOT.png

gap 10-07-17 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517293)
Ready to work ! :)]

Wow, that's a super detailed plan :up:

Portholes are FUBAR in the model exported from SH5. all their poligons are edge-splitted, and this fact can complicate your work, besides unnecesssarily increasing the number of vertices and edges. I could weld them, but since you are totally reworking them, maybe it is easier for you to create a new porthole model from scratch, that you can duplicate n times. Only the porthole "glass". I have already fixed the "frames"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517296)
@gap: With your method, how do you think it's possible to have a halo effect around the portholes ? like this:

I think that can be done, but you should make each porthole bigger than its frame. The portion sticking out from the frame could be made transparent or it coul be painted black in the day texture, whereas the night texture would look similar to the last picture you have attached :hmm2:

VonDos 10-07-17 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517310)
Wow, that's a super detailed plan :up:

Portholes are FUBAR in the model exported from SH5. all their poligons are edge-splitted, and this fact can complicate your work, besides unnecesssarily increasing the number of vertices and edges. I could weld them, but since you are totally reworking them, maybe it is easier for you to create a new porthole model from scratch, that you can duplicate n times. Only the porthole "glass". I have already fixed the "frames"

I think that can be done, but you should make each porthole bigger than its frame. The portion sticking out from the frame could be made transparent or it coul be painted black in the day texture, whereas the night texture would look similar to the last picture you have attached :hmm2:

Hi!
Will not halo be visibile on the other side of the ship, throught the hull?

gap 10-07-17 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonDos (Post 2517317)
Hi!
Will not halo be visibile on the other side of the ship, throught the hull?

I don't think so. Can you see city lights through objects?

Kendras 10-07-17 07:27 AM

I've added position lights.

https://i.imgur.com/FQLYDX8.png

Kendras 10-07-17 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517226)
After that, you should duplicate the object, assign a different material to each of the two copies of the porthole-glass-object, and re-group the two of them in a single object.

How to do that ? :damn:

gap 10-07-17 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517355)
How to do that ? :damn:

Simple.
  1. Select one of the two objects in body selection mode.
  2. Switch to face selection mode.
  3. Right click on the geometry window.
  4. Right click on 'Material' in the following context menu.
  5. Enter the new material name.
  6. Undo the selection (space bar).
  7. Repeat the steps 1-5 for the other copy of the same object, using a different material name.
  8. When you have finished, select both objects in body selection mode.
  9. Right click on the geometry window.
  10. Choose 'Combine' from the context menu.

Done :up:

gap 10-07-17 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517353)
I've added position lights.

Are those halos particle effects, or they are from an emissive material?

Regarding navigation light colors, I think you can refer to the following website (see this drawing for light visible angles)

http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php

Its information is based on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea first adopted in 1977. Prior to that, I think each country was free to apply its own regulations, but I think most countries stickied to the English maritime Law that the current regulation is largely based on.

Kendras 10-07-17 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517359)
Are those halos particle effects, or they are from an emissive material?

From an emissive material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517359)
Regarding navigation light colors, I think you can refer to the following website (see this drawing for light visible angles)

http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php

Its information is based on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea first adopted in 1977. Prior to that, I think each country was free to apply its own regulations, but I think most countries stickied to the English maritime Law that the current regulation is largely based on.

Well, same problem as for sectorial lighthouses : the halo is always looking at camera, we can't control that. :-?

---

Else, the city light trick doesn't work for me.

gap 10-07-17 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517365)
From an emissive material.

So emissive material's halo is automatically calculated... who knows, maybe also night lights have the same effect, without need of painting the halo on the texture :hmm2:

Quote:

Well, same problem as for sectorial lighthouses : the halo is always looking at camera, we can't control that. :-?

Is the halo from emissive materials visible through objects? If not, you can achieve the effect by creating proper ship lantern model with the proper emissive faces angles :yep:

Quote:

Else, the city light trick doesn't work for me.

Can you give me some details?

Kendras 10-07-17 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2517366)
So emissive material's halo is automatically calculated... who knows, maybe also night lights have the same effect, without need of painting the halo on the texture :hmm2:

Not at all ! There is an emissive halo texture painted on a square model (+ "Look at" controller attached), in addition of the lantern object (with an emissive plain color texture).

Quote:

Is the halo from emissive materials visible through objects? If not, you can achieve the effect by creating proper ship lantern model with the proper emissive faces angles :yep:

Not visible throw objects, but the problem is that the halo is 3 times bigger than the lantern.

Quote:

Can you give me some details?

1. opened lantern object in wings
2. duplicated it
3. combined together
4. exported twice (the second with same name + "-uv2")
5. copied the 3 nodes from harbours_kit.dat (with ctrl + C)
6. changed all id
7. imported both model at same time
8. both textures linked to this model
9. imported new textures : day texture which is dark green, and light green for night light. This second texture never appears at night or day.

gap 10-07-17 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2517369)
Not at all ! There is an emissive halo texture painted on a square model (+ "Look at" controller attached), in addition of the lantern object (with an emissive plain color texture).

:up:

Quote:

Not visible throw objects, but the problem is that the halo is 3 times bigger than the lantern.

But you can remove the halo effects, or make them smaller, don't you? If navigation light's halos were that big in reality, it wouldn't be possible to screen them off at certain angles :yep:

Quote:

1. opened lantern object in wings
2. duplicated it
3. combined together

Did you assign different materials to each copy of the original lantern, before combining them in a single object?

Quote:

4. exported twice (the second with same name + "-uv2")
5. copied the 3 nodes from harbours_kit.dat (with ctrl + C)
6. changed all id
7. imported both model at same time

Make sure that S3d, in the Uv map previe section, diplays two map channels for the recently imported object.

Quote:

8. both textures linked to this model

Also make sure that you didn't accidentally switch the two matirials: their position matters.

Quote:

9. imported new textures : day texture which is dark green, and light green for night light. This second texture never appears at night or day.

Try making the dark green texture not so dark, and the light green texture very bright and vivid, like lime green...