SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Elder Scrolls V in the works - direct sequel to Oblivion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177327)

Drewcifer 02-08-12 09:10 PM

This isn't a duplicate post. I love Skyrim....... I will be playing this game for so long....

Arclight 02-08-12 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1835683)
Well, it was a great idea. Go the minecraft way and add tons of recipes the player
can find by testing. :yep:

Wouldn't anything craftable show up in the menu? :06:

Provided one meets the prerequisites.

Drewcifer 02-08-12 10:14 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamesp...ynote20120208/

Awesome Live feed of todd howard right now, just showed off werebears, winged vampire lords, dragon mounts and a giant mudcrab.. no promises that they will see the game for free or DLC or EVER.. just stuff they are playing around with he has let the team run wild and just do whatever they want and see what is good.... the trees shedding leaves and stuff looked really good.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...esda-game-jam/

For those that missed it here is a brief article detailing the features shown and pretty much almost certainly SOME of it will find its way into the game at some point. As Todd Howard pretty much made it clear they had to refine and cut down the content to get it out on shelves... and now the team has settled back in to working out the ideas they wanted to implement but couldn't make work, mounted combat, etc.

frau kaleun 02-08-12 11:14 PM

Finally got all my mods rechecked and reset and was able to load the game but something with the new textures must've changed the stuff for Daedric armor, my sex-ay Daedric look is gone even with that mod enabled and all the tex files in place. Now I'm back to the old look which is way too dark and heavy after what I was used to. Ugh.

Other than that it seemed to run fine altho I didn't go outside my house so we'll see. Couldn't do much more tonight than make sure it loaded with everything in place.

BUT I WANT MY PRETTY PRETTY ARMOR BACK. :wah:

frau kaleun 02-09-12 10:30 AM

I doubt many of you read fanfiction (and I usually don't read much) but this has made me LOL more than once.

Everyday I'm Shufflekiin

It could use a little polish IMO - or rather in the opinion of my Inner English Teacher - and the first chapter didn't really hook me hard but by the time he got to Helgen I was in for the duration. Some really wonderful and hilarious turns of phrase and liberties taken with a few of the NPCs he meets along the way. Meeting the Greybeards in the last chapter posted really had me rolling, I wish he'd continued with it but... oh well. :DL

soopaman2 02-09-12 01:11 PM

I am loving the steam workshop for mod installing.

As a longtime player of all Total War titles, Europa Universalis 3, Hearts of Iron 3, Civilization etc. I love the easy modding. No need for additional mod managers, unzipping and complex file managment. Unzip here, and delete this, twirl 3 times then restart your computer, pray it works with windows 7, and dont fart while the game is loading or it will crash.

Just subscribe and install, it self updates too.

I am loving it, I can't wait until more meaningful mods show up on it.

And dont give me the Nexus mod manager crap, it stinks compared to the steam workshop. Sometimes simplicity is best. Just need a search function, and a steam subforum to advertise new mods and features.

Your opinions?

I am currently playing as an Adeptus Astartes (race)

Ducimus 02-09-12 01:23 PM

Skyrim nexus has been sucking from the get go. Just too much traffic. Getting mods off of it is like pulling teeth. Althoguh this may have changed with the launch of steam workshop, taking some of the load off of nexus. Personally, ill probably use either one and not playing favorites. I don't even use any of the mod managers at all. I use freaking JSGME ! :haha:

frau kaleun 02-09-12 01:33 PM

I am just manually downloading stuff from the Nexus site, looking it over, and then setting it up for enabling via JSGME. I'd rather know exactly what is being added and be able to remove it easily if there's a problem. It looks to me like getting a mod through Steam involves "subscribing" to it and then Steam is fiddling with your game automatically every time a new version of the mod is uploaded whether you want it or not. There are some great looking mods in the SW already but I want to control the downloading and enabling, so... thanks but no thanks. :cry:

Edit @ Duci: that's odd, I've never really had a problem getting mods off Nexus. Maybe once or twice I waited a few extra seconds for a download to start, but that's it.

Ducimus 02-09-12 01:50 PM

Check out what bestheda did in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

frau kaleun 02-09-12 02:00 PM

Skeletal butler? WAAAAAAANT!!!:wah:

We'll see how devoted he is when I run out of bone meal for my potions. :O:

Dowly 02-09-12 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 1836052)
Check out what bestheda did in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

Yeah.. pissed me off. :x

Arclight 02-09-12 02:53 PM

Sort of... if they can do all that in 1 week then why the H isn't it in the game? :doh:

Just put it in an optional bonus package or something, I'd pay for it.

Krauter 02-09-12 02:55 PM

Quote:

What if we worked like that more often
You'd get your games done in a complete manner lacking any bugs and with a lot more content and a fan base that would sacrifice their first born to play your games...

:damn: The fact that they realise they can do this in one week yet they still don't release amazing stuff like this on release is so frustrating..

Oberon 02-09-12 04:32 PM

Yes, some of that would be nice indeed. Mounted combat for one. :yep:

Hopefully we're looking at some stuff that'll make it into a DLC in the future.

Ducimus 02-09-12 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krauter (Post 1836096)
You'd get your games done in a complete manner lacking any bugs and with a lot more content and a fan base that would sacrifice their first born to play your games...

:damn: The fact that they realise they can do this in one week yet they still don't release amazing stuff like this on release is so frustrating..

You know, there is a rational behind it. It kinda figures they'd think of a bunch of stuff up on their own. Thing's that we'd all want. Mounted combat, or one example straight from Todd Howards mouth is having horses carry things for us. Yeah they can do that too. Why didn't they? Something he calls "The spotlight". Where you focus the players attention. See the whole speech/presentation he gives here (the above video i posted was only 5 minutes of a 40 minute speech)

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamesp...eynote20120208

Takeda Shingen 02-09-12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krauter (Post 1836096)

Yeah, because Skyrim is so shallow and unplayable. I thought they gave us a pretty amazing game and found it very interesting to see how they go about working on and thinking about these sorts of projects.

Ducimus 02-09-12 05:33 PM

In that video i just posted above, he pretty much said in black and white, "we can do anything, we just can't do everything".

Drewcifer 02-09-12 06:17 PM

fact is you will see some of that stuff make it over in patches and DLC period.

If you watch the whole video basically they had a plan, designed a game and focused down on the main goals and knocked out an amazing game... then once it was released they of course had the game jam what your seeing is once again the creativity of the whole team going solo.

That being said its a company that charged for horse armor, I have NO DOUBT at all that the suits at beth are going to say keep that skyrim team together and knock out a bunch of those features... keep on milking our costumer base because they WILL pay.

And truth is, yep I will, damn right 4.99 for a dragon mount sure, 2.99 for mounted combat yep. I won't even complain you know why?

Because Beth isn't EA, they didn't add multiplayer in, or change the Elder Scrolls, sure Skyrim is dumbed down since Daggerfall or Arena, but what game isn't these days its a fine line between appealing to new costumer base and keeping happy your long time core player base. A line they walk well without hurting my love for the game, or them.

+Customer, I have no idea why I misspelled that twice.

mookiemookie 02-09-12 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewcifer (Post 1836213)
fact is you will see some of that stuff make it over in patches and DLC period.

If you watch the whole video basically they had a plan, designed a game and focused down on the main goals and knocked out an amazing game... then once it was released they of course had the game jam what your seeing is once again the creativity of the whole team going solo.

That being said its a company that charged for horse armor, I have NO DOUBT at all that the suits at beth are going to say keep that skyrim team together and knock out a bunch of those features... keep on milking our costumer base because they WILL pay.

And truth is, yep I will, damn right 4.99 for a dragon mount sure, 2.99 for mounted combat yep. I won't even complain you know why?

Because Beth isn't EA, they didn't add multiplayer in, or change the Elder Scrolls, sure Skyrim is dumbed down since Daggerfall or Arena, but what game isn't these days its a fine line between appealing to new costumer base and keeping happy your long time core player base. A line they walk well without hurting my love for the game, or them.

+Customer, I have no idea why I misspelled that twice.

Good post. I'll gladly buy any and all DLC for Skyrim on day one in order to support Bethesda as they've consistently done a great job with TES games over the years. That being said, I read an interview not too long ago and it sounds like they've learned their lesson from the horse armor debacle....

Found it. It was Ken Rolston, the lead designer of Oblivion. When asked about the horse armor:

Quote:

I innocently thought the horse armor was awesome.
Christiana, the lead animaotr then, LOVED horses. Loved them to pieces. And I thought she made a loving tribute to the glorious appearance of horses.

Okay. We didn't yet really understand how DLC work, and how users would use and value them. It was the Dawn of a New Age.

I love making money. But I love it when the user LOVES paying the money... when he gets as much pleasure from paying for his loot and he does for playing with it.
While he doesn't work at Bethesda anymore, I think the lesson was still learned.

Besides, they've already stated that the DLC for Skyrim is going to be few and far between, but they're going to be substantial add-ons. I would wager that some of that stuff is going to make it into an add-on in the future. I'm sure they had lots of good ideas that had to be shelved for later add-ons due to time constraints. I'm glad they narrowed their focus and got things (mostly) right.

Dowly 02-09-12 08:22 PM

My new best friend, Bob :O:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/50...0D626B47F3180/