SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Glorious Great Game - a PoN MP AAR (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215212)

ikalugin 10-12-14 03:19 AM

How about glorious Russian Empire? After all it was us who has defeated that rather short Corporal that terrified the rest of Europe. (I refer to the 2nd post in the thread, writen by Oberon).

And yes, we did play the great game.

Betonov 10-12-14 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikalugin (Post 2250700)
How about glorious Russian Empire? After all it was us who has defeated that rather short Corporal that terrified the rest of Europe. (I refer to the 2nd post in the thread, writen by Oberon).

It's AI controlled. If you have the game and can regularly (tops 48hours) turn in your turns, you can play the glorious empire of the Russians.
The treaty of the three Emperors only has 2 Emperors at the moment.

ikalugin 10-12-14 05:19 AM

I guess I would cheer from the side lines :)

Betonov 10-12-14 06:13 AM

Russia has a similar situation as Austria, you'll spend more time keeping the Empire together than just cheer at sidelines :)

ikalugin 10-12-14 06:46 AM

Which is strange, as this is not really historic as far as I remember (in 19th century that is).

Oberon 10-12-14 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikalugin (Post 2250700)

I'm waiting for Russia to start antagonising my Afghan border, but so far the Tsar has been quiet...which is just as well since I'm busy getting lost in the Burmese jungles... :dead:

Oberon 10-12-14 10:40 AM

Britain cannot into jungle:

http://i.imgur.com/oBYevDx.jpg

Betonov 10-13-14 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikalugin (Post 2250742)
Which is strange, as this is not really historic as far as I remember (in 19th century that is).

It was a daily routine for every empire back then :03:

Bloody idiot, I was producing 5 times the amount of cotton needed by my textile mills, but I wasn't exporting any :/\\!! And the booze, and the fruit and the cattle :/\\!!
The increased export from Austria should make me some money and destroy the world economy :oops:

Betonov 11-07-14 03:01 PM

I think the Crimean war just started

Oberon 11-07-14 05:15 PM

The United Kingdom find ourselves in a quandry. Whilst on the one hand we feel willing to assist the Ottoman Empire against this unprovoked attack by the savage Russian beast...however on the other hand we do have to remember that it has not even been a year since the Ottoman Empire savagely attacked our friends in Greece.

As such, the United Kingdom is inclined to monitor developments closely.

(that, and I have no idea how the combat in this thing works, and I'd probably just wind up in a war against Russia that I cannot win)

Betonov 11-07-14 05:39 PM

How this game ridiculously follows history, you should win this war just by taking Sevastopol and nothing else. I'm also guessing that by occupying 3/4 of Russia and nothing in Crimea means you loose it.

I wonder if Austria gets a CB to assist Russia. Russians tried to get Austrians on their side. Caused a lot of resentment because Austria decided to stay out of this war, despite Russia helping them pacify a Hungarian revolt just years earlier.

Oh, and I decided to start writing this AAR as an AAR. Trough the eyes of different people in the Empire, chronicling event's trough their own eyes.

Betonov 11-08-14 04:06 PM

January 1852.
I arrived almost a month ago. I slipped trough the border at new years. And about time. I hear there's a war between Russia and the heathens to the south. A band of gypsies helped me cross and now I live in a place called Galicia. I may try to find a job in Lviv when the snow thaws.
But for now I'll just stay in this village. The people are nice and my late husband worked as a Russian-German translator and he taught me the language.

I hope trading the double eagle of the Romanovs for the double eagle of the Habsburgs wasn't a mistake.

Svetlana Tikhomirova, 21 years old, newly arrived in Austria

More PoN AAR to come, adventures of Svetlana and stories about an Austrian officer, Czech policeman and a Slovene artisan living in the chaos known as 19th century Austria

Oberon 11-08-14 04:36 PM

Nice! :yeah:

Perhaps I should do something similar... :hmmm: I shall ruminate on it. :yep:

Betonov 11-09-14 09:56 AM

March 8th, Prague

All is calm despite the war just over the borders. Some elder folks need calming down, They're still jumpy every time a major war starts, the French Corporal is still alive in their memories. Plus, we're not even involved this time. Other than that, everyone keeps going about their business.
the ''most esteem'' businesmen are complaining, there's not enough investments made into their industry. I heard what industrial centers look like in England. Lets keep Prague clean. And I should have them arrested, how can they say they know more than our Glorious Emperor.
Crime is low, only a few thefts, no murder since the new year incident. Had to intervene a brawl yesterday. Lucky for me, the instigator was my neighbor, who I dislike. He looks at my wife funny, now he just looks funny.

It's good to be the law.

Eugen Liška, officer of the Imperial Gendarmerie, Prague

Betonov 11-14-14 04:11 PM

March 25th, 1852, classified

That's that. I have finally disgraced my family. Marshal von Radetzky does not take kind to junior officers giving better advice. His litanies are but a storm in a teacup compared to Fathers speeches of our glorious ancestors, the battles we fought against the Turks, Prussians and Napoleon. He can't keep quiet how my grandfather lost his leg at Austerlitz like being maimed is some strange form of medal. And Him, esteemed Father, Herr Oberst Otto von Fürstenberg, the greatest warrior of them all. Earned medal after medal in training maneuvers. Got a personal letter from the Emperor himself after he fell of a horse and broke his leg. I believe he uses this letter to help him perform at his mistress house.
I wanted to be a doctor to help people, not be a part of the same meat grinder that went about it's bloody business since Kane and Abel.
Next stop Galizia as an assistant to a garrison medic. The situation in Russia could mean I'll have to sow guts back in to my peers bellies. Sickening.

Leutnant Klaus Heinkel von Fürstenberg, former I. corp. regimentsartz, now assistentartz

Betonov 11-20-14 03:07 PM

May 5th 1852, Zhirovnica

I hate my father in law. That pompous son of a milkmaid. Just because he worked as a merchant sailor in the English fleet he thinks he'll make englishmen of us all. Talking about their great factories day and night and all I hear is ruin and smoke and making us artisans into animals or beggars. I'll stay a blacksmith. I work at home and feed my family. No need to go die into one of those ''factories''.
And all of that poisons my wife. She started talking about sending our soon to be born child to school to be an engineer. And I'm supposed to work with metal until I die behind the furnace ?? NO, this nonsense stops after she gives birth.
But I'll give one thing to the old owl. He was right when he said that the iron road would bring me fortune. I made a nice sum of money making nails for the railroad tracks. Too bad that money is already in the tuition fund for the child. Foreign nonsense.

3 more months.

Janez Kovač, blacksmith

Betonov 11-22-14 02:12 PM

May 30th 1852, Praha

The death of Prime Minister Felix Schwarzenberg earlier this month did not stir the anarchists as we feared in the Gendarmerie. There were odd students having a march down the Wenceslas Square, some nationalist agitators failing to get the attention of sober passer by's and a drunker national hero here and there. All of them were apprehended and sent home in the morning with a black eye and a fat fine for agitation.
After the executions in 1848 the Emperor is playing it nice. And thank the lord for it. What I witnessed 4 years ago still gives me nightmares.

Eugen Liška, officer of the Imperial Gendarmerie, Prague

Raptor1 11-22-14 05:11 PM

Le Moniteur Universal
May, 1852

http://i.imgur.com/RgFzt5R.jpg

A bloody two years since French troops first entered Tunis at the start of the Greco-Ottoman Crisis, Muhammed II, Bey of Tunis has finally surrendered his rogue army and agreed to recognize French interests in Tunisia. Under the terms of the Treaty of Bardo, signed in the Ksar Saďd palace between representatives of the French Republic and Muhammed Bey, the French government has agreed to recognize the Husainid Dynasty's current rule in Tunis in exchange for the demobilization of the former Tunisian army and relegation of foreign affairs and defense responsibilities to the French Republic. The French Consulate in Tunis has assured us that this would allow France to best protect Tunisia from any further attempts at Ottoman expansionism.

Général de division Pierre Bosquet, who took command of the French Army's Algerian Division at the start of the year, has refused to comment on the Army's inability to bring about a decisive conclusion to the campaign prior to his appointment.

Oberon 11-23-14 08:34 AM

The Times
Monday 7th June 1852

http://www.vallejogallery.com/artist...d%20e-mail.jpg

Following reports of dreadful massacres in the siege of Guilin, the War Office in Whitehall has confirmed that it is sending forces to Asia in order to 'protect British interests in these troubled times'.
The official denied reports of tension with Burma, insisting that Britain would follow 'to the letter' the agreements forged in the peace treaty between Britain and Burma signed last year.
Field Marshal Viscount Hardinge is said to have boarded the fleet lead by Rear Admiral Sir Reynolds at Portsmouth on Friday which will set sail later this month.

Betonov 11-23-14 09:11 AM

June 3rd 1852, Lviv

They say children are no longer allowed to work in the factories. I'll just have to buy a newspaper to see for myself. If it's true then coming here was not a mistake. I saw hundreds of children missing limbs from textile mill accidents or burnt faces from industrial furnaces. Now my child will not suffer the same fate.
I start a new job next month at the local clinic. A lot of my countrymen from Russia pass Austria on their way to America and need to be treated. Knowing Russian got me a job as a nurse. It's army run but I hope nurses are not required to know the army drills. I don't know how to salute.

Svetlana Tikhomirovova