SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Kerbal Space Program (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200091)

Spike88 12-06-12 10:32 AM

KW Rocketry does add some nice engines to the game, but the 3M engine choices are a little lacking. Also, the mod seems to remove the textures from the launch tower for some reason.

Lionclaw 12-06-12 10:45 AM

Launch tower without texture is a bug in 18.1 I believe.
I have it as well.

Spike88 12-06-12 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionclaw (Post 1971357)
Launch tower without texture is a bug in 18.1 I believe.
I have it as well.

Ah, turns out .18.1 broke it.

Arclight 12-06-12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 1971322)
Actually there is a bug in the new version, where the big engine tends to overheat more than intended when attaching it directly to the huge orange tank. Try putting the small, grey one on top of the engine and you will notice a difference in the engine behaviour.

I know, it's taken into account. You only have to throttle back a tiny bit which lets you burn longer overal, works out fine. Using the smallest tank just above the engine causes excessive movement of the engine, to the point I'm afraid it will come off. Think the smaller tanks don't have as much structural strength. (besides that the flexing happens at joints, so less components is better) :hmmm:

Lionclaw 12-06-12 02:00 PM

Yeah, when the tanks start to dance it's a sign of bad things to come if you're unlucky. :O:

Task Force 12-06-12 02:06 PM

Task Force Space corp. proudly presents... the Doomed space junk deluxe mk 2!
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...e1/DSJDMK2.jpg

Made it to munar orbit with fuel to spare! kinda.
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...rce1/Orbit.jpg

Better than the DSJD prot Mk 1 that could only seem to get into orbit around the sun.

Stealhead 12-06-12 03:28 PM

So when designing a rocket/spacecraft how to I align something like say a control surface? Lets say that i want to align a control surface with the edge of a wing.How do I do that?(there must be some key that lets me rotate items as I like rather than having to be stuck with what the game sort of auto picks)

I know about the symmetry button and the angle button.Another example one of the egress ladders you must be able to align them as you wish as well.

Lionclaw 12-06-12 04:05 PM

With the WASDQE keys you can adjust the part's rotation.

And when holding Shift you can adjust in small increments.

:)

Stealhead 12-06-12 07:27 PM

Ah thanks I only messed around with the design part for 10 or 15 minutes the other night.

Spike88 12-06-12 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arclight (Post 1971404)
I know, it's taken into account. You only have to throttle back a tiny bit which lets you burn longer overal, works out fine. Using the smallest tank just above the engine causes excessive movement of the engine, to the point I'm afraid it will come off. Think the smaller tanks don't have as much structural strength. (besides that the flexing happens at joints, so less components is better) :hmmm:

Use moar space tape.

Also, Lock your gimbal during take-off.

reignofdeath 12-07-12 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno_Mariner (Post 1971319)
I've been working on getting a circular orbit with "Givemevodka III" and well... my very first 'successful' Orbit ended up as an Elliptical Orbit.... :doh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ticalorbit.jpg

I can't get the rocket to stay where it should be while I'm adjusting, but I'll get there... (using trial ver til I can afford the better version) :hmmm:
Checking back on it before I posted, it seems to have worked, I'm still in the orbit track, guess it's successful on the part that I actually entered orbit... :huh:

You do know the mechanics of how to enter an orbit right??

1. Fire straight up (I go to about 25k)
2. Turn towards 90* (East) at a 45* angle for a while (Gravity Turn)
3. When your AP reaches a desired height (Lowest is 70km I believe) cut engines (x) and float to your AP (IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE POINTING AT EXACTLY THE 90* (East)
4. When you reach the Apoapsis (AP) Full throttle and go into map view and cut engines when your PE reaches the same height
:salute:

Good luck out there!

Geno_Mariner 12-07-12 03:56 AM

I really don't know the mechanics (Obie did explain some.. xD), I tried watching a few Youtube vids and following what they showed but yeah, my rocket kept drifting so much til it exceeded 100,000m before I even got to orbit... :oops: The elliptical orbit eventually ended in distaster as soon as it got to the Peropsis, something happened to the structure and I heard some explosion while I was chatting to someone else, checked back to see the crew KIA. Since I couldn't find the time warp, the orbit lasted nearly 1.5 hours or so :huh:

Thanks :D I shall give this another go til I get a perfect orbit!

Nippelspanner 12-07-12 04:22 AM

@Lionclaw
I totally love your designs, very nice, clean and functional! :)

I just posted some of my stuff, including a link to my program for the rest of this year in the screenshots thread. :yep:

Lionclaw 12-07-12 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 1970514)
Loving the lander Lionclaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nippelspanner (Post 1971702)
@Lionclaw
I totally love your designs, very nice, clean and functional! :)

I just posted some of my stuff, including a link to my program for the rest of this year in the screenshots thread. :yep:

Thanks guys. :)

I like the station you've made, clean thought out design. :)

And that "Krussian" module, can't see all the details. But from the bottom part of the ship where it's angled out and the solar panels it resembles the Soyuz spacecraft. :up:

Geno_Mariner 12-07-12 10:24 AM

Severvaya made her first orbit. And it looks a bit better than Givemevodka's last orbit but still not perfect... :hmmm: Working on it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...firstorbit.png

reignofdeath 12-07-12 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno_Mariner (Post 1971692)
I really don't know the mechanics (Obie did explain some.. xD), I tried watching a few Youtube vids and following what they showed but yeah, my rocket kept drifting so much til it exceeded 100,000m before I even got to orbit... :oops: The elliptical orbit eventually ended in distaster as soon as it got to the Peropsis, something happened to the structure and I heard some explosion while I was chatting to someone else, checked back to see the crew KIA. Since I couldn't find the time warp, the orbit lasted nearly 1.5 hours or so :huh:

Thanks :D I shall give this another go til I get a perfect orbit!

Another tip, to help circualize your orbit, when you are at the Periapsis or Apoapsis, to raise the one opposite of it, burn prograde (The direction you are heading it looks like the tail of a plain with a circle (green) on your navball) and to lower it burn retrograde.

The explosion I believe is a bug from a while back, that shouldnt happen if it didnt hit anything.

Go to KerbalSpaceProgramForums and look at all the how tos there, learn orbiting,

THEN getting to the Mun (Its easy, orbit easterly and burn prograde when the Mun 'rises' above kerbin (AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT) ,

Then learn orbital rendevouz (Because as soon as you get 18.1 with docking, youre gonna want to know) and try to get good at it. But work on the basics first getting cirular orbits (or whichever orbit you want for that matter) is the basics.

Keep asking qeustions too :salute:

ON ANOTHER NOTE..

It seems like actually building something to go up into space is a bit tougher via .18, Idk if it was me being used to SundayPunch packs or what but man its tough.

Oberon 12-07-12 12:39 PM

Speaking of rendezvous:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1...enshot15uo.png
Bob and Jeb in a second successful rendezvous, now with extra docking! :rock:

This is a good thread for rendezvous and docking:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ial-request%29

Stealhead 12-07-12 02:38 PM

How is the Kerbal engineer mod supposed to work? I place the chip on my craft but it does not seem to do anything is there some way to activate it?

I see on the file page that it is for 0.17 it does not work yet with 0.18.

Spike88 12-07-12 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealhead (Post 1971957)
How is the Kerbal engineer mod supposed to work? I place the chip on my craft but it does not seem to do anything is there some way to activate it?

I see on the file page that it is for 0.17 it does not work yet with 0.18.

Probably broken for .18. It should open a window when you place it on your ship.

Stealhead 12-07-12 11:24 PM

In the KSP forums the mod developer said that he thinks it has something to do with how the GUI works with 0.18.