SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   SUBSIM mobile phone thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155969)

Gerald 12-15-10 04:15 AM

What do you pay for, Android 2.1? An estimated....

antikristuseke 12-15-10 10:07 AM

nothing, its a free software update, the phone itself cost me 50 euros and I pay 12 euros a month for unlimited internet access + free calls in the providers network, calls to other cell networks cost about 0.04 euro a minute.

Feuer Frei! 01-02-11 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1553895)
I'm disappointed with my E72.

The chat is no longer working

I couldn't log in whatsoever.

The browser sometimes won't load and often end up with remote server closing message but It's Opera fault to a degree.

Default browser and Opera often yield memory full message when they are the only one app running :damn:. This is no business phone.

Hmm, new phone?
Reason i ask is, i have a e71, have had it for about 2 years now, bought it new, am aware that a firmware upgrade is available for it. And because of this (i'm almost certain) it's doing some weird things like: telling me to put sim card in when in fact sim card is in, alarm not going off (dam near slept in today for work) and phone freezes up on me for a few seconds before being responsive again...
Maybe yours is too? Hence the 'playing up'?

Feuer Frei! 01-05-11 11:10 PM

HTC HD2

Ok so i just bought this phone and it's a really nice phone, big big screen, plenty of features, i'm liking it a lot so far.
Anyone else have this phone?
I'm thinking the only (so far) annoying thing is that when you are 'sliding' up or down to look for a selection, you inadvertantly, more often than not accidently select something you don't wanna, being a touch screen and all...
soo, question is, how to avoid that?
Stylus?

Castout 01-06-11 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! (Post 1565120)
Hmm, new phone?
Reason i ask is, i have a e71, have had it for about 2 years now, bought it new, am aware that a firmware upgrade is available for it. And because of this (i'm almost certain) it's doing some weird things like: telling me to put sim card in when in fact sim card is in, alarm not going off (dam near slept in today for work) and phone freezes up on me for a few seconds before being responsive again...
Maybe yours is too? Hence the 'playing up'?

Actually the phone is fine mostly and it's not acting up just that the browser that I use which is Opera often makes memory full error message and a o lot of time just wouldn't want to load anything.

For some reasons I do not understand any chat software wouldn't work on my phone too. I tried using 2 different chat programs but they always tell me that either my username or password is wrong when in fact they are correct!

The push email is still working alright though.

Edit: congrats on the the new phone. Personally I prefer buttons but I'm kind of enthusiastic about Android too.

OneShot 01-06-11 03:59 AM

In early 2008 I got myself an E90 as replacement for my Nokia Communicator 9500. Untill then I changed my Handy every 2 years and mostly had Nokia Mobiles. Since then I got a Palm Pre which I used for about a year before buying a iPhone 3GS after getting an iPad. So far I'm quite happy with both - there are only 2 complaints ... the iPhone cannot be used as a WLAN Hotspot (got myself a mobile cheap 3G/WLAN Hotspot for that) and both devices go through their batteries very fast.

Still I'm happy to have both of em ... and actually having both opens up some interesting possiblities given you use certain apps.

Feuer Frei! 01-06-11 07:30 AM

For those of you who also have the HTC HD2, and Accidental Link activation when scrolling, which so far really annoys me with this fone:

HKLM/System/GWE/Touch/Filter/Minimumtaptime
Change from 0 to 30

works a treat!

Onkel Neal 02-13-11 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk (Post 1511330)
Three weeks ago I got the HTC Evo. It is absolutely brilliant!

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-cont...-b-300x504.jpg

That may be my next phone, does it have apps?

Jan Kyster 02-13-11 02:37 AM

:o wow! some of these phones...!

Have had this one for years... working fine... easily runs 14 days without a recharge...

http://www.util21.ro/relaxare/poze/t...nokia-1112.jpg

And it has different ring tones! http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...lies/dopey.gif

convoy hunter 02-13-11 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Kyster (Post 1596724)
:o wow! some of these phones...!
And it has different ring tones! http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...lies/dopey.gif

How modern:O:!

convoy hunter 02-13-11 03:04 AM

I 've got myself a p1i in 2006 it is still working but I cannot use its WLAN 'cause modern routers have different types of encrypted codes.
http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/rv/e/mobil.../300x225_2.jpg

CaptainHaplo 02-14-11 12:07 AM

I've had a samsung reclaim for a while now - solid phone for what I need. I thought about going "fancy" with smart phonea hero, but a friend had one and she had nothing but problems with it. Besides, I don't need "apps" - I spend too much time dealing with the phone as it is.

The reclaim can do the basics, surf the net, text, and wonder of wonder, make and accept those weird old school things call "phone calls". I will admit the GPS/driving directions have come in handy on occasion.

antikristuseke 02-15-11 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1596714)

Its an android phone, it has more apps than you know what to do with.

AVGWarhawk 02-15-11 02:23 PM

Quote:

It has apps out the wahzoo. So does WM7 so do not shy away from a Windows phone. Android is a great OS. I like it. I like WM7 as well. The key is a phone with some speed in the processor. Let's face it...these are miniature computers! The EVO is up to the task. My wifes newly purchased LG Quantum with the WM7 OS is up to the task. We tried a Samsun Intercept...it was painful man. Dumbed it in under two days.

Word of caution on the touch screen. I have the EVO touch screen. It is not my most favorite for typing. I have tried the new Swype technology with the touch keyboard and it is ok but not something I like either. Take a serious look at a phone with the qwerty keyboards. My wife got the LG Quantum with the slider keyboard. It is a nice phone and comes with the WM7 OS. The EVO comes in a version called the Slide I believe. Also a fast phone. It is a very nice phone overall.

The EVO pictured above and what I have on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the best...9.5! Half a point for the touch screen keyboard. Not my favorite.

PeriscopeDepth 02-20-11 05:57 PM

Quote:

Be sure you have wimax service in your area. I believe you have to pay for a more expensive data plan even if you don't have wimax (Sprint's 4G) available in your area. Even if you do though, you'll probably spend most of your time with with the 4G switched off. My coworker has an EVO and the 4G chews threw battery within a couple hours, even if he's not actively using the device. Still one of the better Android devices out there, though it's getting a little old considering the rate at which new Android devices are launched.

PD

Herr-Berbunch 03-07-11 09:38 AM

Well, yesterday my HTC Hero plunged into a bucket of water for about 5-6 seconds. I stripped the cover, battery, and cards and left it to dry for about 4 hours (there didn't seem to be much water ingress!). Turned it on and it boots into life, woo hoo! Thought I'd got away with it but noticed that it was permanently in 'headphones' mode, so phoned provider as it was fully insured for such an idiot using it :D

Got a new one arriving tomorrow evening, and now - given a little more time to dry out - this one is working just fine!

As much as I love this phone, I was kinda hoping they'd run out of Heros and would have to give me something a bit newer :cool:

Onkel Neal 05-11-12 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1168472)
Post your cell/mobile here. What are you using, what do you like/dislike about it?

I have been using a super cheap Go Phone from Wal-mart for about 2 years, because my last nice phone was drowned on a motorcycle ride. So, I grabbed a $15 phone from Wal-mart and put my chip in it.

Since I am going to the wilds of Denmark next week, I decided to move up to e better phone, one that will work world-wide, has a decent camera, and storage. I chose the Samsung Solstice.

http://www.samsunghub.com/wp-content...T-solstice.jpg

It is very thin and small, so I can carry it in a pocket, as opposed to a belt clip or holster. It has a 2MP camera, takes video, can be expanded to 8GB with a micro-SD chip. The only cons so far is removing the battery cover--definitely not easy, and knowing I am carrying an expensive phone as opposed to my previous "disposable" one means I actually have to take care of it. :shifty: It was nice not having to worry about it. I guess I'll get used to that.

Haha, I'm so funny!

Last night at the teaching sessions I am attending, the instructor was talking about how the schools are encouraging students to BYOT (bring your own tech), mainly bring their cell phones and use them to respond to questions by the teacher. (Which I think is goofy and unnecessary, that's what hands and arms are for. Plus: our school district is impoverished, 80% of the kids get free breakfast and free lunch, so wth are they doing with $400 smart phones? :nope: But that's for another thread,,, ) So, the instructor told the class, let's try it, pull out your phone and text blah blah...

So everyone (over 20 people in attendance) pulls out some version of the iphone or android smart phone exept Der Onkel...

I'm still rocking that Samsung Solstice. :rotfl2:

Herr-Berbunch 05-11-12 09:16 AM

If it works, it works. :DL

I don't quite know how phones in class are supposed to help, does the teacher ask a question and they all Google the answer, and then text it to the teacher? :hmmm:

Whilst we're in this thread, I upgraded in Jan to a Galaxy SII - I'm going to ignore the SIII that is being hyped-up at the moment.

Egan 05-11-12 04:38 PM

Using a Motorola Defy which is a great little phone, even if it comes heavily loaded with Motorola bloatware. I bought it as a replacement for my truly awful Samsung Galaxy and have been pretty happy with it, probably because of the 9 months of hell I had with the Samsung. Only problems with it are the aforementioned bloatware and the fact it can be fairly capricious about sending Emails. Aside from that, it's a great handset and almost as good as my old iPhone was.

andy_311 05-11-12 08:22 PM

Nokia 5800