SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   I don't like it (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133593)

AVGWarhawk 03-23-08 05:55 PM

KL:

Quote:

Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..
Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.

ReallyDedPoet 03-23-08 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I see two installs of the game coming for me.

Already there, separate from the get go with 1.5. Currently enjoying the Fleet
Boats ( have been since 1.0 ) but will try the U-Boats again at some point in time.

RDP

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 06:02 PM

Quote:

KL:

Quote:

Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..
Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.

You know, the limitations as I see them have more to do with limited manpower in certain fields of modding... as opposed to platform problems.

We talk about cloning objects etc with regularity... If I could just make a couple of clones of a couple of the people here... In two years time you could simply flick a switch and sail WWII diesel subs in the nationality of your choosing... with appropriate and FULL historical (dynamic) campaigns.

If this were an FPS... we'd have modders of all sorts running out of our ears... but because this platform is made for the thinking individual... Well you get the idea.

Penelope_Grey 03-23-08 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
I believe the U-Boat should be the U-Boat and the Fleet Boat it's own animal. Any cross-fertilization to make the former sailors of one feel more comfortable in the other is, to my way of thinking, abominable. If you're a U-Boat person, make like Penelope and try to understand the Fleet Boat on its own terms. There will be a protracted period of discomfort because......it's not a U-Boat.

People from Fleet Boats trying out the U-Boat, don't ask for the U-Boat to be made more Fleet Boat friendly. It's a U-Boat and if that makes you feel uncomfortable for awhile, good! I'm enjoying being uncomfortable, without my air radar, without my position keeper, with my disorienting attack screen. I helped lots of SH3 players get their sea legs in a Fleet Boat, so I know the magnitude of the task I set myself. I enjoy that.

I might always be primarily a Fleet Boater. I don't know. But I won't stay out of U-Boats because of some hatred of SH4 becoming another U-Boat sim, because that's not happening. My plan is to have as much fun in both as I can, with the best sub simulator in the world.:rock:

Hi there RR.

Thanks for the show of support. I have to confess I am so used to U-Boats and to the SH3 interface everything else is alien to me. Then again... once upon a time... I had to learn to play SH3 too... I'm thankful I had a good teacher and just the right amount of prodding to get me in the right direction. lol

I actually don't mind the fleet boat at all. True I would rather be in a stinky U-Boat (with a pink wipe your feet rug at the bottom of the hatch of course) but I don't mind a fleet boat these days. SH4 is such a system hog and well... it looks great and all the rest. I keep saying this and I am deadly fecking serious... if ever a super mod like GWX comes out on SH4 that does to SH4 what GWX did to SH3 I will so be there.

And I am not talking about porting SH3 to SH4 that's just a matter of time... I'm talking about an actual supermod for SH4 and the fleetboats. That is what I am talking about. I would dearly love to see that.

Once GWX 2.1 is completed and we can all lay down our arms for a bit I may well experiment with sailing the fleet boats again. Though can see myself going for the odd foray in the IXD2 as well. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Well at least you're honest slupanter. Can't criticise you for that.:up:

SH4 in my opinion, whether you play U-Boat or Fleetboat, takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. And despite many attempts on my part, SH4 just is not second nature to me.

Thank God for that. Woman in submarines i just cant accept it bad omens watch out gwx your days are probably numbered... just call me an old 1940s kapitan:roll:

Calm down kiwi its just a game...right?

Um... there is only one word I can think of in reply to that and its... What??? :hmm:

AVGWarhawk 03-23-08 06:10 PM

@KL:

From what I understand and my extremely limited knowlege of modding other then texure work for RFB, I think Skwajer 3D modding tool has helped quite a few speed up the process. I hear nothing but good reviews of that tool. Currently with our after the war baby boomer Lurker with RSRD handling historical traffic, RFB, TM and numberous others on the long list, the Pacific has come a long way in a very short time. Run any of the two playability mods with Lurkers RSRD, the game reads like the history books.

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 06:12 PM

Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 06:16 PM

Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.

AVGWarhawk 03-23-08 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.

Understood. I spend most of my time reading about the uboats and fleet boats. I never picked up a good book on the other countries involved with the submarines.

As a side note, I purchased a book through Subsim off Amazon, "Nothing Friendly in the Vicinity"......I looked at the inside cover and it is signed by the author:up:

Penelope_Grey 03-23-08 06:20 PM

You may want to read about E11's foray into the Dardinels. :up:

A good moment in British Submarine history...

AVGWarhawk 03-23-08 06:21 PM

Quote:

Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.

We had thought about a separate uboat mod forum but had the same mind set as you. Besides, there are enough forums to look after:o Not only that, exchange of ideas and how to get something working is all that much better. Two heads are always better than one.

AVGWarhawk 03-23-08 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
You may want to read about E11's foray into the Dardinels. :up:

A good moment in British Submarine history...

I was about 2 seconds away from purchasing "one of our submarines' but decided on another. I will grab this one first in the long list of other countries and their submarine service.

MONOLITH 03-23-08 06:29 PM

Quote:

If this were an FPS... we'd have modders of all sorts running out of our ears... but because this platform is made for the thinking individual... Well you get the idea.

Yeah, you're insulting a massive portion of gaming genre.

Brilliant idea.

Not all shooters are created equal. And taking such a blatant swipe at a broad spectrum of the gaming world is pretty ignorant on your part.

And even if you'd like to argue that gameplay of shooters is "inferior in sophistication" to a sim like SH4;

...modding them certainly is not, and modding them is equally as difficult.

And since you know nothing about modding shooters, you might not want to speak about it as if you do.

:|\\

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONOLITH
Quote:

Yeah, you're insulting a massive portion of gaming genre.

Brilliant idea.

Not all shooters are created equal. And taking such a blatant swipe at a broad spectrum of the gaming world is pretty ignorant on your part.

And even if you'd like to argue that gameplay of shooters is "inferior in sophistication" to a sim like SH4;

...modding them certainly is not, and modding them is equally as difficult.

And since you know nothing about modding shooters, you might not want to speak about it as if you do.

:|\\

Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em arcade forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

Given your posting history, I do not intend to enter into a battle of wits with the likes of you.

You are unarmed. It wouldn't be fair.

John Channing 03-23-08 06:43 PM

People here had best remember to keep their tone civil.

JCC

MONOLITH 03-23-08 06:44 PM

Quote:

Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

Given your posting history, I do not intend to enter into a battle of wits with the likes of you.

Heh. I love it when you do this.

You have no idea what you reveal about yourself when you speak this way to other members here.

CCIP 03-23-08 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.
You just might want to stand back and qualify this statement. Very open ended and open for ridicule. Is this were the 'dissing' comes into play from the u boat fan?

I think that's a huge mis-reading of Ducimius' statement.

What he's getting at is the diversity of operations, including harbor raids, commando landings, rescue missions and other such things which were indeed in greater abundance in the Pacific. If you look at the history of the conflicts, I don't think there is any way to avoid this.

It's not to diminish the individual bravery of the men in both battles; it's to say that indeed by its nature the Pacific was more diverse and provided more opportunities for unusual actions which were few in the Atlantic where the battle was almost completely mid-ocean and focused strictly on the tonnage war. And strictly on the count of diversity of the types of actions, Ducimius is right.

Penelope_Grey 03-23-08 06:50 PM

Quote:

You have no idea what you reveal about yourself when you speak this way to other members here.

Likewise.

I think we just learnt a lot about yourself there MONOLITH. We all know you can't stand Kpt. Lehmann and well... that of course is your personal right. We can't like everybody.

However... considering there is hardly a post out of you for a while... then all of a sudden Kpt. L makes a comment that can be took to task by you and you take that opportunity.

How do you know he knows nothing about modding FPS?

The point the Kpt. was making is that FPS games have a larger following than games like subsimulators do. Thus a much much larger choice of people to mod with a variety of different skills.

Games like Silent Hunter are strategy games that require a great deal of thought and patience. FPS games usually don't require very much of either. There are exceptions. If I got that point, Im quite sure others did too. Or at least, I hope so.

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

What I find to be amazing is that people like you actually believe the crap they write.

THAT absolutely floors me.

Uranus must be an inhospitable place for you to hang about. Constant exposure to all that methane gas keeping you stoned and all.

<Meanwhile back at the Subsim.com ranch... threads about sub simulation modification continue unabated...>

Elder-Pirate 03-23-08 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Channing

JCC

No six guns allowed John. ;)

Kpt. Lehmann 03-23-08 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Channing

JCC

No six guns allowed John. ;)

Exactly. They don't produce enough firepower to get the job done.

I'm thinking shovels may be a more appropriate tool for the moment though.