SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [WIP] Cold War Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130521)

Linton 02-26-08 11:16 AM

Oberons,mmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

tonibamestre 02-26-08 04:08 PM

Yeah!! Oberon class why not? Its an early 60s submarine perfectly adjustable into a project like this.
I think the oportunities are really a lot.An amazing cold age enviroment can be developed and introduced,with several types of platforms from 2 or 3 different navies,and if it goes well more complex units can be built.
About the multiplayer,do you think some kind of dedicated server could be used in order to develop long term sea missions (days)?

Oberon 02-26-08 05:38 PM

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Betcha couldn't guess that an Oberon would get my vote! ;)

Linton 02-26-08 06:00 PM

Sneakies up North.That is what I have always wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up::up::up::up:

scrag 02-26-08 07:00 PM

Oh nooooo not again!!!!!

Mixed feelings on yet another broke Cold War Sim. To be clear. Dangerous Waters, 688I, SEAWOLF attempts are nice games but as a sim goes they are lacking in accuracy and realism. They make decent games. To achieve a cold war goes hot situation you no longer have a sim byt a game (that is fine as it becomes more liberal in it's application and ability to 'interpet" the data regarding capabilities of Modern SSN combat - I especially love the comments by those who have never actually been involved in any "Cold War Action" weighing in on "it is boring". Those comments are based on ignorance and are totally inaccurate. I am dubious about ANY Cold War Submarine game because of the lack of data and necessity keeping it that way. Since this has been already written about in the past I will past what I wrote regarding 1946-49 time frame.
US Submarine development:
The US (and UK) examined and did extensive testing on a few XXI boats as well as some of the Hydrogen Peroxide Walther designs attempting to adopt some of the technology for use. The Hydrogen Peroxide boats developed by all navies resulted in some form of casualty which resulted in at least heavy damage or loss of the boat itself. Essentially in this time frame the Guppy I conversions took place and in 47-48 the Guppy II conversions (and in 5 new boats while they were being built) of the Balao and Gato class boats. The German Balkon Sonar system was being tested (NATO/USSR) and in the 49 the first attempted Sub Vs Sub ASW exercise took place in the Greenland Norwegian Sea as well as the fringes of the Barents Sea. A new design of Sonar called the BQR-2 which later incorporated more BALKON technology would spin off the first ASW capable Sonar System called the BQR-4 with a reported range of 20k against a Snorkeling Submarine. The plan during this time was to attack and sink the enemy submarine on the Surface or Snorting. Submerged attack against a sub on the Batt was still not feasible due to limitations in the sonar systems. (BTW - this holds true somewhat today as well - a front line SS on the Batt is a real bitch to find under the right circumstance). Weapon technology showed some experimentation in improving homing torpedo seekers from both the captured stuff and what was already in place. We also see the first Radar Picket Subs and the design of a new SSK class which incorporates the larger array of the BQR-4 sonar system.
Russia - same stuff with regards to XXI testing, though the Soviets suffered a setback when the German Carrier Graff Zeppelin was overloaded with captured materials (including tooling for some of the German equipment for advanced underwater designs) and subsequently capsized in the Baltic. The Soviets boats for this period included S/Shch ; K classes with the Whiskey Zulu and Quebec classes following in the early 50's. The Soviet Navy really was a coastal force with extremely limited capabilities - patrolling areas primarily in the Barents and Baltic Seas. They also were working on there version of the BALKON system which would be known in the west as Pike Jaw and Trout Cheek aka Feniks.

Good luck on the new game endeavor - be pretty cool to see modern stuff or semi modern stuff in a SHIV game format.

miner1436 02-26-08 08:14 PM

I cant find any download links at all, can someone post a link to them?

Yoram777 02-27-08 11:19 AM

When this is finished this will be one awesome mod! :rock:
But for now, please tell me where can I download those cold war subs shown in that Russian thread and how to install them??

tomagabriel 02-28-08 12:15 PM

To Captain Jack Harkness,

Just wanted to say that when other subs are available, please give us a tip here. The Redoutable and project 627 are a dream to ride even in this early stage :sunny:.

Regards!

Yoram777 02-28-08 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomagabriel
The Redoutable and project 627 are a dream to ride even in this early stage.

so you 'can' download them? but iv'e looked at that forum and there's no download link at all :dead:

badaboom 02-28-08 01:22 PM

Reminds me of "The Hunt for Red October":D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...om/ballist.jpg

Snakeeyes 02-28-08 01:25 PM

I thought the November was longer than that. Are you sure those dimensions are correct?

Kapitan 02-28-08 01:40 PM

Thats a 627 ZhMT its got the extra sonar buldge the bow keel area, all the others have plain tear dropped hulls, only one ZhMT was made.

from memory il double check about its correct classification.

Friedmann 02-29-08 04:56 AM

Any download links yet for the models so we can try them out?

An accurate (at least in the portrayal of weapons systems and platforms etc) simulation of a hypothetical Cold War conflict would be awesome.

I will also join the chorus of...

Oberons.....mmmmmmmmm

tomagabriel 02-29-08 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeeyes
I thought the November was longer than that. Are you sure those dimensions are correct?

I would say the sub is at an angle towards the camera (judging by the wake).

Edit:

I was thinking now about the moment I saw the small screenshot of 688SSN with the title "SHIV Cold War Mod". Basically I immediatelly started to drool. Abundantly... I can not say and will not even try to say how much I waited for that thing.

P.S. Boooooo Oberons!!! (just kidding of course) Love them just as I love any other sub. Aren't they some marvellous machines? This was a long week for me. Good night! XO, dive the ship!

Sniper_1 03-01-08 05:43 AM

Alfa Control Room

Capt Jack Harkness,

If you want pictures of the Alfa's control room I got quite a few of them from a Russian publication I picked up a few years ago. Not paticularly detailed or large but they give a good view of the shape and layout of the control room. There is also a low-res diagram of the reactor and engine plant control panel (also in the control room).

Sniper_1

Doctor Haider 03-02-08 12:24 PM

These pictures are also available here: http://www.atrinaflot.narod.ru/1_sub...k/0_705k_1.htm

This is an article about the Alfa class sub. The sub's images are on the right-hand side of the screen there. Simply click on them to enlarge. Interior images are included.

WilhelmSchulz. 03-03-08 05:55 PM

YEET!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Eagle1_Division 03-03-08 08:51 PM

Wow, this is impressive.(Bump! Bump!) I don't actually have SHIV but I may look into getting it just for this... not to mention I LOVE modding :-). Btw, ive heard from other posts that geom's dont work when put into a .dat file for the game to use, if thats the case then how do these models work?

Also, Ive collected a large number of sound files from various sources and freeware(I keep the ones I got from freeware seperate). Im not sure if it would be totally legal to give the mod project sounds from other games, but I do have some nice modern/cold war sounds: A very nice propeller sound effect for a nuclear submarine, diesel submarine and a surface ship(modern), and nice ping emit and return sound effects. They all sound great, at least to MY ears :p.

You can PM if your interested, I'd love to contribute to this mod in one way or another.(Did I mention I also enjoy modelling w/ gmax?)

u-168 03-09-08 08:15 AM

cold war

I think the cold war subs mod would be the doggys:up:
if the (Le Redoutable v 1.0a From Dagon) comes avalable to download. or ya can email me the link to download it or sompthing please let me know i have been begging for a cold war sub like the (le redoutable). If you need my email pm please or still pm me for eny updates ro sompthing to do with the (le redoutable).i would be thank full for the help all :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

andycaccia 03-10-08 11:59 AM

Nice but do we have a donwload link??
Is there at least one sub finished and working?

I see the screenshots but I can not find abny donwloadable sub on either forums!