SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   It's nice to see how many people you can count on here! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159309)

Aramike 12-28-09 03:46 PM

Quote:

I know we have a somewhat informal arrangement like this already, but
I think it could benefit from streamlined, automated integration with the
vBulletin software.
I think a lot of people enjoy the informal way this community is ran. I donated because I wanted to, not because I was compelled to, and I will continue to do so occassionally. Should there become some sort of membership dues involved, I think that a lot of the people who make this place great would disappear simply because they can't afford it. And that would make a lot of other people disappear simply because the community is diluted.

So long as its feesible, I hope it stays just the way it is.

Jimbuna 12-28-09 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramike (Post 1226530)
I think a lot of people enjoy the informal way this community is ran. I donated because I wanted to, not because I was compelled to, and I will continue to do so occassionally. Should there become some sort of membership dues involved, I think that a lot of the people who make this place great would disappear simply because they can't afford it. And that would make a lot of other people disappear simply because the community is diluted.

So long as its feesible, I hope it stays just the way it is.

Good point....if enough people donate what they can, when they can then hopefully SS will continue to thrive.

If/when you read this Neal did you receive the second donation on behalf of ******?

Platapus 12-28-09 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 (Post 1226519)
For the ads to generate income, do we need to click them, or just allow them to run on screen?

I also would be interested in the answer to this question.

Reece 12-28-09 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letum (Post 1226475)
Regarding long term, low input fund raising...

Another forum I frequent uses the vBulletin software to raise funds.
There is a user group called 'subscribers'. It's membership is dependent on
regular donations. When donations are given via paypal one automatically
becomes a member for 1-6 months, depending on the amount donated.
The perk of membership is the ability to chose ones own signature and

As it is clear who has donated and who has not, a culture of regular
donation has formed.

I don't like that idea, some people here are finding it hard to make ends meet with a lot of other compulsory commitments, it should remain purely voluntary unless funding for Subsim gets more desperate!:yep:
I donate when I can but some reminders every few months would be a good idea to jolt (or prick) the memory!!:oops::D

Onkel Neal 12-28-09 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 (Post 1226519)
For the ads to generate income, do we need to click them, or just allow them to run on screen?

Just allow them to show, you don't have to click them :shucks:

Méo 12-29-09 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1226571)
f/when you read this Neal did you receive the second donation on behalf of ******?

What are you insinuating?

SteamWake 12-29-09 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Méo (Post 1226715)

I believe he is simply saying he made a 'donation' on someones behalf and wished that someone to remain nameless.

Carotio 12-29-09 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1226644)
Just allow them to show, you don't have to click them :shucks:

Nice, and okay :up:
I have just allowed subsim in ******* then, if that really helps.
As long as I then can block all the ads on the newspaper sites, which are filled with them...

Jimbuna 12-29-09 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Méo (Post 1226715)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake (Post 1226927)
I believe he is simply saying he made a 'donation' on someones behalf and wished that someone to remain nameless.

Your quite correct mate...and Neal has responded http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

Méo 12-29-09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1227028)
Your quite correct mate...and Neal has responded http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

Sorry, my bad! :oops:

Jimbuna 12-30-09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Méo (Post 1227072)
Sorry, my bad! :oops:

No prob....words and there varied meanings often get lost in translation http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...s/thumbsup.gif

nikimcbee 12-30-09 08:47 PM

Can I donate next week? I'll have more money then:D

Union or Confederate script?

magic452 12-31-09 12:10 AM

Neal is in Texas so Confederate script would be appropriate.

Magic

Onkel Neal 12-31-09 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic452 (Post 1227812)
Neal is in Texas so Confederate script would be appropriate.

Magic

Haha, no, I'm more of the same mind as Sam Houston, my Texas never left the Union :shucks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 1227739)
Can I donate next week? I'll have more money then:D

Union or Confederate script?

Any time you wish, the Make a Donation button under your PM notification is always available.

Thanks to everyone, yes, I want to stay as far away from a "pay only" membership model as possible. That killed Combatsim. Donation here are voluntary, and I hope there will not be a need to have a fundraiser more than once a year.

Dowly 12-31-09 01:45 AM

Neal, Have you though of implenting one of those donation meter thingy's to the forum? You know, the kind that you see on some forums that show the cost of the server per month and the amount of donations received in that month. You could put that to 3 months and IMHO it could act as an reminder to people here that this site is running on donations as it is easy to forget that at times.