SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL] Depth keeping problem fixed (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=179746)

DoveEgg 07-29-11 08:16 AM

TDW,

What's the status of this mod? Has it been incorporated into your UI mod? Or should we still be using this stand alone mod?

TheDarkWraith 07-29-11 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoveEgg (Post 1716047)
TDW,

What's the status of this mod? Has it been incorporated into your UI mod? Or should we still be using this stand alone mod?

The latest version of my UIs mod has it already :up:

sidslotm 08-02-11 01:09 PM

Quote:

You'll be able to keep depth at 0knots down to 170m
Is this realistic.

mobucks 08-02-11 05:41 PM

no it isnt, TDW said he will try to incoroprate something so you need some speed to maintain depth that low. The anti-hummingbird effect.

TheBeast 10-22-11 06:04 PM

BUMP

I started a new career and notice that the Typ-7A is holding depth approximately 1 meter below the depth specified.

This results in Observation Periscope being submerged when Periscope Depth is ordered. (Periscope Depth = 12m)

Changing Submerged Displacement from 702 to 701.55 corrects this issue for me. The boat now settles just shy of 12m (within inches) when ordering Periscope Depth.

Data\Submarine\NSS_UBoat7a\NSS_UBoat7a.SIM
Controller:
unit_Submarine @ NSS_Uboat7a --> unit_Submarine --> unit_Ship --> obj_Hydro --> Submerged --> displacement = 701.55

If the boat would continue to sink @ Zero (0) Knots, this would be kind of neat but it doesn't.

I think it was the SH4 OM Mod that had the Submarine Physics setup correctly for this to happen.

In SH4 OM when Submarine went all stop and speed dropped to Zero (0) Knots the boat began to float to the surface very very slowly.
Not sure if lurker_hlb3 did this or someone else.

Regards!:Kaleun_Periskop:
TheBeast

THE_MASK 10-22-11 06:17 PM

Nice , TDW needs to read this and fix in his UI mod :yep:
Dont alter it while on patrol , you will ctd .

Dermeister 10-25-11 02:46 PM

Links are dead :(

kylania 10-25-11 03:05 PM

It's already part of TDW NewUIs 6.8.0, so you don't need to install the stand alone versions anymore.

0rpheus 10-30-11 05:11 PM

Don't suppose there's any chance of another version of this that allows us to hold depth lower than 150m? Constantly sinking below 150m drives me mad and as for the 'realism' aspect, I'm pretty sure SH4 didn't do anything of the sort, no matter how low you went.

Pretty please? :O::salute:

Halface 10-31-11 03:11 PM

guess you dont sacuba dive....kinda same princiaple...specilly useing drysuit....lower down you get the air get more compressed...had a ballon with me down and it was big first but down on 20m it was rather small...

neeed to read more about the historic facts but..to maintain depths below 150m you have to have some spead so the dive planes can maintain the depth ...kinda logical too but it all deppends how realistic you wont to play the game..

0rpheus 10-31-11 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halface (Post 1777749)
guess you dont sacuba dive....kinda same princiaple...specilly useing drysuit....lower down you get the air get more compressed...had a ballon with me down and it was big first but down on 20m it was rather small...

neeed to read more about the historic facts but..to maintain depths below 150*m you have to have some spead so the dive planes can maintain the depth ...kinda logical too but it all deppends how realistic you wont to play the game..

Yeah, I know buoyancy decreases the lower you go, but at the same time I'd be surprised to find that it was impossible to maintain a constant depth lower than 150m at any speed but stopped. I guess in reality your crew would be working the planes and trim tanks to keep you as stable as possible, rather than sitting there like idiots doing nothing while the boat sinks to its doom!

Problem with the current method is, unless you have 7 or 8 hours to spend at your PC dealing with DD depth charges after an attack, you're bound to use a little TC when escaping. Not holding depth lower than 150 makes this very difficult, and it also negates any extra depth a given hull might have over another (7a vs 7c41, for example, which has a lower test depth), except in circumstances where you've lost control and are sinking (and lets face it, by that point it's probably too late, regardless!).

Yo-yo-ing the boat manually is currently the only way to get around this, and that doesn't feel terribly realistic either! I think 'realism' is what you make of it, and everyone has different opinions on what isn't appropriate - so this is just me hoping someone will make my SH5 life a teeny bit easier, realism be damned :O:

*just realised it's 170m not 150 - but during play, sitting at 170m, a single DC close by will push you below the threshold and begin sinking. During heavy bombardments I get knocked up to 10m or so lower, depending on the circumstances, so I stay at 150 because it's the only way to be sure I won't get pushed past the sink line! ;)

TheDarkWraith 10-31-11 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0rpheus (Post 1777761)
Yeah, I know buoyancy decreases the lower you go, but at the same time I'd be surprised to find that it was impossible to maintain a constant depth lower than 150m at any speed but stopped. I guess in reality your crew would be working the planes and trim tanks to keep you as stable as possible, rather than sitting there like idiots doing nothing while the boat sinks to its doom!

Problem with the current method is, unless you have 7 or 8 hours to spend at your PC dealing with DD depth charges after an attack, you're bound to use a little TC when escaping. Not holding depth lower than 150 makes this very difficult, and it also negates any extra depth a given hull might have over another (7a vs 7c41, for example, which has a lower test depth), except in circumstances where you've lost control and are sinking (and lets face it, by that point it's probably too late, regardless!).

Yo-yo-ing the boat manually is currently the only way to get around this, and that doesn't feel terribly realistic either! I think 'realism' is what you make of it, and everyone has different opinions on what isn't appropriate - so this is just me hoping someone will make my SH5 life a teeny bit easier, realism be damned :O:

Open up the sub's .sim file and play with the submerged displacement value. You have to tweak this to get what you're wanting :up: Change in small increments :yep:

0rpheus 10-31-11 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith (Post 1777769)
Open up the sub's .sim file and play with the submerged displacement value. You have to tweak this to get what you're wanting :up: Change in small increments :yep:

Ahh ok, figured it was best to steer well clear of altering .sim files, but I'll give it a go :) Cheers TDW! :up:

Akula4745 12-17-11 08:03 PM

TDW - since some of us with under-powered PCs can no longer use your New UIs - could the links to your depth keeping fix be restored? I think I need the stock and FX version instead of the UHS version...

Thanks in advance, sir.

TheDarkWraith 12-17-11 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akula4745 (Post 1806831)
TDW - since some of us with under-powered PCs can no longer use your New UIs - could the links to your depth keeping fix be restored? I think I need the stock and FX version instead of the UHS version...

Thanks in advance, sir.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21093...DarkWraith_zip