SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [WIP] Cold War Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130521)

Blood_splat 02-24-08 09:30 PM

What about how deep the subs can go is all that stuff still classified?

PeriscopeDepth 02-24-08 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_splat
What about how deep the subs can go is all that stuff still classified?

I would suspect a good deal of it still is. But that doesn't stop Dangerous Waters from being good, for example. You can still make educated guesses.

PD

LobsterBoy 02-24-08 11:46 PM

I would also suggest an earlier time period, at least to start with. Perhaps, late in the Korean War, the US takes greater exception to the fact that Russian pilots are flying and fighting against American aircraft in the Korean theater. :hmm:

Naval exercises can often be harder than the real thing, but I wouldn't be satisfied unless something went BOOM (even if that something is my poor boat).

M. Sarsfield 02-25-08 07:31 AM

I agree that the timline should probably end around the late 50's/early 60's. As for not having "period craft" to shoot at, freighters and tankers didn't change a whole lot in a 15 year period after WWII. Plus, we would be hunting Soviet, North Korean, etc. vessels that would more than likely be left-overs from WWII. Japanese ships would now be allied/neutral and could be limited to the "modern composite" ships found in SH4 (since we sank all of the old ones).

If the modders are succesful at importing sub models into the game, then I don't see why 1950's era warships couldn't be added, too. I think this could be very realistic with a combination of historic and what-if scenarios molded into a campaign.

tonibamestre 02-25-08 08:39 AM

New options

Do you think would be interesting into this mod the capability(option) to lower-raise anchor in order to stay fastened into some neutral or allied harbour,and conecting lines when docked at port ?

The General 02-25-08 08:46 AM

Even Indiana Jones isn't fighting the Nazis anymore. I think it's time Silent Hunter moved on from the WWII arena for a while.

Someone could do a Poll for which decade this Project should be set in?

navy_ae 02-25-08 09:04 AM

well the torpedoes shouldnt have much of an issue just adding the homing ability of the mk 27 to the different bodies and increasing range /warhead the only torp that i think would be too difficult to add on this platform would be the mk 48 /mk 48 ADCAP but then again i have been known to be mistaken from time to time ... also add in some initial nuc boat cruises and milestones etc ... the boomers i dont know how youd implement them but i do like the idea of the early cold war patrols mainly recon patrols but add some cold war gone hot scenarios there also but how would you model the advanced sonar systems for use in gatekeeping missions etc ?

well anyways ive proably said whats been said before so ill shut up for now

M. Sarsfield 02-25-08 09:05 AM

Quote:

Do you think would be interesting into this mod the capability(option) to lower-raise anchor in order to stay fastened into some neutral or allied harbour,and conecting lines when docked at port ?
Now that the Pacific will be a lot friendlier place after the war, I would personally like to see functional sub tenders with the ability to rearm/repair/refit at sea. Of course, Manila, Subic Bay, Japanese Ports, et-al will be open for business and the trips into hostile waters will be much shorter in duration, unless you're based at Pearl.

Being able to moor at a dock would just be eye candy, IMHO. Once I get home, I'm ready to award medals/promotions, rearm/refit, and head back out to sea.

I think it would be cool to have some "patrols" where you get to try out a new weapon or piece of equipment before any other boat gets it. Maybe have some cat and mouse games with friendly DDs as part of the operation or target an old freighter with a newly acquired missile.

The boats would also reflect incremental post-war mods like the aft torpedo room being converted into a classified radio intercept room, like on the USS Requin. GUPPY would be the most obvious one.

denis_469 02-25-08 12:02 PM

Los Angeles

New submarine in Sukhoi forum - Los Angeles sub.

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthrea...16#post1082616

screens:
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...1&d=1203948490

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachmen...2&d=1203948490

ofc 02-25-08 12:12 PM

Cold War possibilities

I served on a fleet snorkel boat out of Pearl in the mid-fifties which completed three "simulated war patrols" while I was aboard. There is no question in my mind that such experiences could provide an operational basis for the extention of SHIV. For example: recon (locating and tracking shipping - naval and merchant, port monitoring while evading the hunters, remaining undetected in the midst of naval manuevers - theirs not ours, ECM missions, and others. I know these missions don't require you to sink ships, but the excitement, the tension, the danger was very real. Another area that could be addressed in mods for any time period could be the everyday challenges of going to sea in a sub - failure of crucial equipment, surviving a typhoon (the smoke boats had to ride them out on the surface), fire, flooding, etc. All of this while trying to remain undetected. No "fire one", but an adventure nonetheless!

geetrue 02-25-08 02:40 PM

I served on the USS Salmon SS-573 from 63 to 65 ... as a young sonar tech.

We sank the entire first fleet including one oiler, to destroyer's and the USS Hornet with ASW gear protected by a fast attack.

We did all of this in a war game of course, but we were playing a Russian diesel boat and we did quite well.

The 50's and 60's were an exciting part of submarine history even though no shots were fired.

Good luck on your development of a cold war add on/mod etc ...

Don't forget to have scenerio's where we try to follow boats out of Pearl or Kamchakta (that's southern for Russian).

Kapitan 02-25-08 03:21 PM

50's to mid 60's best russian boats out where the whiskeys and some foxtrots, foxtrots started production 1958 best boat produced i like them alot, i can get you information on the russian side of things if you need it any vessel (submarine mainly) at the cold war period 1945 to present.

DeepIron 02-25-08 03:31 PM

Suggested reading: "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sontag and Drew has some excellent reporting of diesel boats and the early nukes used for Cold War ops.

badaboom 02-25-08 05:53 PM

DeepIron,I couldn't agree more:up: "Blind Man's Bluff" what a fantastic read about submarine espionage in that time period,I won't spoil the great story for those who haven't read it but I will say,Remember the phone cable mission?:D

DeepIron 02-25-08 06:09 PM

Quote:

Remember the phone cable mission?:D
Oh yeah! Insane...:up: