SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [WIP] Cold War Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130521)

denis_469 02-20-08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andycaccia
But those nuclear subs...are they donwloadable?
Their site is (obviously) in russian...and i do not understand russian..:88)

submarines project 627A and Le Redoutable donwloadable from russian site.

andycaccia 02-20-08 02:54 PM

Thanks denis,
I think somone that speaks russian could easily donwload their subs and then upload on filefront to make them usable by the sh4 community....of course we must ask for permission first, that's THEIR job and THEIR CONSENSE is absolutely necessary.

:lurk:

tonibamestre 02-21-08 06:03 AM

Surface ships + Ports

Hey guys,I am concerned that you are working hard into this mod.Perhaps one day,not far,SH4 comunity will have an exceptional mod covering this age.Are you going to let coexist Cold war units with the existing ones in the actual SH?
How to implement (if possible) 50s,60s surface units like destroyers,guided missile cruisers,frigates and carriers Midway and Forrestal class for example?
Concerning actual ports,how to give them +15,20 years update shape,plus the construction of new ones from Russia,China,Korea and allied ports worldwide?

M. Sarsfield 02-21-08 11:39 AM

I'm assuming that they are either making missions or a new campaign layer would have to be added where only 50's and 60's ships are loaded into the game, if you choose a Cold War career.

Capt Jack Harkness 02-23-08 06:19 PM

Excactly. Every ship has a start and end date for availability; we're going to give all the new boats their actual service dates, and when playing in the 50s the only ships you will see are those in service at that time.

Sailor Steve 02-23-08 09:14 PM

Wow, this is fascinating. I'm an old-time junkie myself, so whenever anyone started threads about more modern ships and warfare I would always post that it was outside my interest area and I couldn't care less. I know, I too find it annoying when someone posts on a thread just to say he's not interested in that thread's subject. So why post here? Because in spite of my lack of enthusiasm for the subject I think it's great that people who are interested in the era have decided to do something about it. Who knows, I might even be tempted to recreate Nautilus' under-the-icecap polar voyage, or even follow Triton around the world submerged, if that's possible.

A word of encouragement: don't underestimate what you'll be able to do with SH4. It wasn't very long ago that people were saying that it was impossible to have player-driven surface ships in SH3, and now there's the new Schnellboot mod, and everybody's loving it.

Best of luck in this project. Maybe I won't want to play it, or maybe I will. Either way I'll be keeping my fingers crossed hoping that you guys can make it work.

badaboom 02-23-08 11:41 PM

I used Google translate to translate the Sukhoi Russian web page,from Russian to English. view it here.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

WOW!!!!!!! O.K I'm officially excited!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/badaboom/688.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/badaboom/116.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/badaboom/cw.jpg

gimpy117 02-24-08 12:38 AM

my only concern is the campaign.....

will they be albe to mak a fun campaign based on Cold war events that never happened. Hopefully yes. Also, the lack of modern ships brings the ambience down a bit...and the realism

cheese123 02-24-08 12:39 AM

I cant find the download link for Le Redoutable.

AJ! 02-24-08 04:04 AM

Those models look top notch. This really does look like a first class mod. Will we see missiles launched from the subs in the near future? Is there also a chance of adding the Regulus missile in the early stages of the cold war?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulus_missile ;)

denis_469 02-24-08 06:47 AM

After talk with autor submarines (Dagon) he agree place him units in my FF after full complete units and repair bags in subs only. So, now I'm wait him word for place in near future.

The General 02-24-08 07:10 AM

Natural Progression

Dear Subsim Community,

I know some of the die-hard Silent Hunter puritans out there will balk at the series moving on from their beloved WWII arena, but time marches on regardless. As an example, I would ask them to look at EA's wonderful Battlefield series that started in 1942, but now has moved on to modern day weaponry and as a result, is one of the most popular online gaming experiences of all-time. The creation of a Cold-War era subsim Mod, based on the Silent Hunter engine, is just an experiment in viability for a potential official sequel set during this era. We all know that in reality this time period didn't provide a lot of 'Action' for sub Commanders, but that doesn't mean that we can't throw in a few theoretical elements. For example, a lot of 'War games' took place during ths period. While participant's weren't firing live ordinance, I'm sure it was still pretty exciting. In addition to this; I'm sure alot of stuff 'went down' that is still classified. Various, unexplained sinking, Sub's returning from patrol with damage of an unknown origin, reactor leaks etc. I mean Tom Clancy's famous novel is based during this period and that scenario was frighteningly feasible and still is! In summation; I feel and so do many others, that there is room in the Silent Hunter Cannon for an Cold-War set Subsim. If it fails, what have we lost? We can and shall return to the WWII arena, and maybe in attempting to broaden our horizon's, we will have learnt something along the way. On behalf of all Subsimer's I humbly ask for your support.

Cheers!

The General :up:

USS Sea Tiger 02-24-08 07:30 AM

Very nice

I look forward to seeing this develop. I have a Skipjack model I would love to chase about in this,

Steel_Tomb 02-24-08 11:49 AM

If only Dangerous Waters had graphics like this lol. Good job, just worried that lack of waterfall etc and modern ships is going to ruin it.

Snakeeyes 02-24-08 01:12 PM

Wow.... wow.... wow....

The merging of the graphics of SHIV with my favorite submarine era....

I wouldn't make a good beta tester because my time is REALLY limited until June but I had to make sure that you knew how excited I am and have your full support.

THANK YOU!

Oberon 02-24-08 02:15 PM

DO WANT!!

Seriously, this is superb and I will be following this closely! :up:

Kapitan_Phillips 02-24-08 03:03 PM

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: Whoooooooa

tonibamestre 02-24-08 05:08 PM

I totally agree with the stated above.Even though by that period,the detection devices where not very accurate,the approach to a highest fidelity will be compulsory to get a correct balance between different units.
Also,lets say every unit command room is modeled in more or less detail.Do you think will be possible to add some more compartment like Captain cabin or Officer quarters?
This would give more reality,in prolonged periods below the surface,one needs to evade out of the control room sometimes :yep:

Admiral_Olof 02-24-08 06:29 PM

Excellent idea!!!:up:
I followed the debate of a Cold War mod while it was a "hot potato" the last time. Personally, I think it' could be a beautiful thing.
I'm an avid player of Dangerous Waters, a great game technically, but unfortunately lacking the air and ambience of the SH titles.
I won't go into the tech talk - I'm not a programmer and my graphic skills are strictly two-dimensional. I am, however, since long a GM in several story-driven role-playing games and a part-time writer. I would simply love to sink my teeth into creating a beliaveble story-line for a campaign. I know some of the criticism against a Cold War mod was that things never got "hot". Well - would it be so terrible if we re-wrote history into a "what-if"? Someone pointed out the Cuban Missile Crisis as a possible start point. I would agree. Someone else mentioned the Korean War. I'm sure a campaign involving diesel-electric subs could be a real treat. Is there any reason why a mod should be a one-campaign matter? Wouldn't it be possible to focus one 50's campaign to, say, the Korean War and a 60's to a post-Cuba hot war?
And - perhaps the most chilling alternative - a campaign where the sub leaves port for what is then peace-time, while during the days at sea, matters on land deteriorate into...war? Almost war? "Hostile intent"?
MMmmmmm....the possibilities given by the news broadcasts, dubious orders, mission updates. Confusion. Chill. Fear. And maybe, Armageddon waiting around the corner...

Stick to this idea fellows - it's simply too good to let go of.
Best regards,
Admiral_Olof

PeriscopeDepth 02-24-08 09:21 PM

While a great idea, I think anything that goes beyond 1955 is simply too ambitious for the Silent Hunter engine. Keep it simple. :)

PD