SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [WIP] Los Angeles 688i mod 4th fix (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152226)

ETR3(SS) 10-14-20 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle505 (Post 2700726)
Best news Ive heard all day!! Any chance of the original Los Angeles Class with the fairwater planes?? I’d do anything for that sub with hi res textures and a modern control room, all time favorite sub!! I’ve always loved the USS Dallas from red October.

I'm going to try to include Flight 1 and 2 boats in this release. I'm doing some tweaking of the model (those stern planes and rudder are terrible looking) but I wouldn't expect an original control room or hi-res textures. 3d modeling and texturing are my weak points so those are the hardest for me to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2700794)
You just want to do Ahead Flank, blow ballast at 600, and try to fly, don't you?... lol - :salute:

Come on big D, fly!

SubRiderRetired 10-20-20 04:29 PM

FLT 1 & FLT 2 would be cool. Especially if USS Memphis SSN 691 made the FLT 1 roster. :salute:

ETR3(SS) 10-20-20 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubRiderRetired (Post 2701845)
FLT 1 & FLT 2 would be cool. Especially if USS Memphis SSN 691 made the FLT 1 roster. :salute:

That's the plan, all 62 of them.

ETR3(SS) 10-21-20 06:13 PM

Here's a preview of the reworked model and texture. For some reason things are just clicking in my head for modeling and texturing so we'll see how this turns out. Still more I need to do like the stern planes, draft markings, and tweaking node locations. Once that's all done it'll be on to the file work and testing in game, tweaking, retesting, over and over until done.https://i.imgur.com/pyoGEZp.png

chevelle505 10-23-20 12:30 AM

Looking beautiful!!!

ETR3(SS) 11-13-20 06:15 PM

Nothing to update, just wanted to say project is still alive but I haven't had time to work on it recently. Work picked up unexpectedly and any free time has been spent unwinding after a long day.

propbeanie 11-13-20 08:39 PM

Very understandable, young feller... :yeah:

chevelle505 12-09-20 12:58 AM

Any updates? I’ve been hoping out for this lol!!

ETR3(SS) 12-11-20 02:33 PM

Not yet unfortunately. I'd like to work on it over the holiday break but hard to say.

yubba 12-30-20 12:59 PM

VLS

Has anyone attempted to put VLS on the Los Angeles with 8 launchers in the bow ????? I'm toying with a idea of a modern campaign against china mostly having flags changed and adding some of the cold war stuff you guys came up with,, I'm an idea guy alot of this is above my pay grade I did doll up the Skip Jack to carry the mk48 or it came that way I don't know,, but it's fun to command,, I have put the Le Terrible over the Los Angeles to get the cruise missiles to be played.

ETR3(SS) 01-01-21 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yubba (Post 2717269)
Has anyone attempted to put VLS on the Los Angeles with 8 launchers in the bow ????? I'm toying with a idea of a modern campaign against china mostly having flags changed and adding some of the cold war stuff you guys came up with,, I'm an idea guy alot of this is above my pay grade I did doll up the Skip Jack to carry the mk48 or it came that way I don't know,, but it's fun to command,, I have put the Le Terrible over the Los Angeles to get the cruise missiles to be played.

My research has led to the discovery of the game only allowing horizontal launches. Any mods you see of vertical launches are separating an animation from that of the weapon itself, that is it appears to be launched vertically but in reality is still a torpedo.

propbeanie 01-01-21 04:05 PM

"Guns" have to be above the waterline, "Torpedoes" have to be below, so therefore, you cannot (in theory) do a vertical launch... However, if you have a "missile gun", such as what a "torpedo gun" is, and attach it to your sub at "launch depth", with the hidden "missile gun" sticking out of the water enough, in place of the "smoke / flare", you could do a "missile launch" animation... maybe... ?? What to do after that though? A consultation with Jeff-Groves might be in order... 'course, that "gun" might interfere with your ice cap sail-under... lol :salute: