SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Eternal Patrol (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Very sad day: Capt. Zeb Alford passes away (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154534)

liljoentx 08-14-09 08:53 AM

Thank YOU, Catherine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine Barton (Post 1150060)
Uncle Zeb was an encourager..............Thank you, Uncle Zeb, for all you did for me.

What a poignant and loving story, Catherine!

It certainly shows how caring about others is what it is all about.

As submariners, we all profoundly learned that cooperation rather than competition is the key!

God Bless all of you family, friends and Shipmates of Capt. Zeb,

Lil'Joe in Texas

patti 08-14-09 10:24 AM

Patti

I have another funny story or rather now it seems funny.
I can remember when I was in the 6th grade and we lived in Groton CT and Dad had just come back from a long cruise ( I think under the North Pole but not 100% sure). He had a tape of sonar blips of whales etc and I took it to show and tell (well maybe it wasn't 6th grade after all) but I was so proud of that sound and told everyone that my Dad was on the sub that made that sound. Thinking back now that would have been pretty boring if you were not in the Navy but since Groton was a huge Navy site I am sure they thought it was great-almost as good as when I played the accordion for them!

I also remember a car trip across the United States from CA to CT and we were driving through the desert and Dad had bought a window ac for the car and it collected alot of water that you had to flush out every now and then by pulling a string.
Well I guess he was pretty mischievous becasue Mom was asleep in her seat by the AC and he asked one of us to pull the string that let the water out and it landed right in her face. I am not sure how much trouble we got in becasue we said "Dad made us do it". I guess we had to be entertained some way, it was a long long trip.

Carotio 08-14-09 12:48 PM

I don't know if this is okay, but I have made this little memory image. In a hurry to speak the truth, since I don't have much time left, before I go for holiday. But we had a discussion whether to make a tribute mod for SH4, and well, this is sofar all I could come up with due to lack of time.
The image size has been reduced to 800*640 for the forum.
For the original size, click here
I hope you like it. :yep:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...mory2009b2.jpg

Jail 08-14-09 01:48 PM

I never know what to write when something like this happens. Reading these post I can only give my humble respect and thoughts to his family.May he rest in peace.

Admiral Von Gerlach 08-14-09 02:05 PM

Carotio, that is a lovely picture.

Patti, those are great stories, it is the "real life" events that create our personal landscape, and those tihngs are so nice to hear about, it makes your father and your life with him and your family connections to his career and work come alive for all of us. Many do not realize that that connection of the heart to those ashore keeps those afloat strong and going forward esp when things are tough.

Re the sonar, that is a great story to hear for two reasons, my father in law was one of the men who did the pioneer research in to sound speed theory and sonar that allowed the development of modern submarine sonar technology, and he used to tell many stories himself about the "biologicals" ie whales and other sea life that make sounds...for they helped him study and learn how to use that science to apply to the research that led to improvments and application to submarine sonar. That was a great story to hear. :) Hope eveyone is squared away and having a great day!

patti 08-14-09 02:15 PM

Patti

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach (Post 1150861)
Carotio, that is a lovely picture.

Patti, those are great stories, it is the "real life" events that create our personal landscape, and those things are so nice to hear about, it makes your father and your life with him and your family connections to his career and work come alive for all of us. Many do not realize that that connection of the heart to those ashore keeps those afloat strong and going forward esp when things are tough.

Re the sonar, that is a great story to hear for two reasons, my father in law was one of the men who did the pioneer research in to sound speed theory and sonar that allowed the development of modern submarine sonar technology, and he used to tell many stories himself about the "biologicals" ie whales and other sea life that make sounds...for they helped him study and learn how to use that science to apply to the research that led to improvements and application to submarine sonar. That was a great story to hear. :) Hope everyone is squared away and having a great day!

It was great to hear from you and to know that your father in law had so much to do with the sonar. What an amazing man he is too. We are doing alot better as I said in another post it is so great to read all these posts about Dad and there are some things that I have learned from reading these posts and on a down day they really pick me up. Your work is great

patti 08-14-09 02:18 PM

Patti

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carotio (Post 1150807)
I don't know if this is okay, but I have made this little memory image. In a hurry to speak the truth, since I don't have much time left, before I go for holiday. But we had a discussion whether to make a tribute mod for SH4, and well, this is sofar all I could come up with due to lack of time.
The image size has been reduced to 800*640 for the forum.
For the original size, click here
I hope you like it. :yep:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...mory2009b2.jpg

This is beautiful and thank you so much, I love the modern look of it too.

Patti (daughter #1)

Iceman 08-15-09 01:11 AM

I am sorry to hear of the loss of such a great submariner...Rest in Peace.

yamato9 08-15-09 02:43 PM

Rest in Peace Captain Zeb.

coronas 08-16-09 05:06 AM

Rest in Peace Sir.

Admiral Von Gerlach 08-16-09 12:52 PM

I hope you daughers and all the family are having a blessed and peaceful Sunday, thinking of you all and your dad today, and sending prayers and best widshes for hearts ease and peace today and every day.

God Bless

patti 08-16-09 01:12 PM

patti

neal,
can you call me at ********* or email me at dpolivas@swbell.net. I thought I had your email but I don't seem to and I wanted to ask you something.
thanks.

patti

peggy 08-16-09 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach (Post 1151856)
I hope you daughers and all the family are having a blessed and peaceful Sunday, thinking of you all and your dad today, and sending prayers and best widshes for hearts ease and peace today and every day.

God Bless

Admiral,

Thank you so much for your continuing kindness. I went to my wonderful church today and just sang my heart out to Dad during our worship. Today was a bit tough for me, but the half pound of M&M's that I inhaled really helped. :salute:

Blessings to you,

Peggy

Admiral Von Gerlach 08-16-09 08:28 PM

Peggy Singing AND chocolate both help at times of testing, ...... i know 'cuase they both have helped me too :)

hugs to you all, and hang in there, ....maintaining course and speed under challenging times is a rough task but you have God at your side and angels on your shoulder..... and we are all with you, and all the familiy and freinds of the Captain. :)

Carry on.

Onkel Neal 08-16-09 10:07 PM

Joan sent some pictures of their wedding day, added to the first post.

Link to first post