SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   SUBSIM: 20 years on the web & still no gold watch! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229441)

Castout 01-26-17 08:19 AM

In 1997 I was in my second year of high school. I was garnering a reputation as a good student. I enjoyed studying and relied on myself to study from textbooks while other students relied on classes. It was good old times for me.
High hopes and dreams.

CapnScurvy 01-26-17 09:07 AM

1997..........I was in my mid 40's, had been married for 24 years (and still going!!). I had moved into the "country" 12 years earlier, to start a farm from city life upbringings. We were heavy in 4H...... Club Advisors, County Livestock Judging Team Advisors (I was learning too), my son had the Grand Champion Hog that year at our County Fair.

I was still 2 years away from getting my Gold Watch for 25 years of service to my public employer...so, you're almost there Neal!!

Thanks for the website and your commitment to being a Submarine "junky" like the rest of us!

Admiral Halsey 01-26-17 09:14 AM

I was 4 that year Jesus time flies. Honestly not much to remember other then I was an ass then.

Mike Abberton 01-26-17 09:46 AM

In 1997, I was ...

About 6 years out of college
At my second "real" job in Newburyport Mass, getting ready to find a 3rd
Playing mostly role-playing and flight sims on a PC
Indulging in a life-time of interest in military matters, but not as much on the PC
Probably read Red Storm Rising for the 5th or 6th time.

Lewis Wingerter 01-26-17 09:55 AM

Wow it hard to believe it been 20 years; I was in my upper 40 and my son was graduating from high school. I remember going to the site because I an a subsim playing nut.
Onkeal Neal created the best web site out there!:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

daft 01-26-17 10:21 AM

Oh man! 1997. I turned 20 that year. And I met my fiancee a week before my birthday, so we've been together 20 years now. :) It was also the year I decided to quit hockey. My knees had taken a beating and I couldn't really find the motivation to do a season of rehab, so I quit. A decision I sometimes regret, but it is what it is. :) I worked as postman back then. A career I traded for life as a developer, but I still remember the horrible winters delivering mail (and the beautiful Summers!).

I remember the old design! I've visited these forum since forever, and Subsim have been a constant in my life even though I haven't participated everyday. :)

AVGWarhawk 01-26-17 10:28 AM

1997:
Married for 3 years at that point.
Our first child was 2 years of age.
I'm certain I was playing console games at that time

PC came a bit later.

Skybird 01-26-17 10:30 AM

A toast to the founder of all this, without whom we would not be here - not in the first, and not for that long:

Neal Stevens :Kaleun_Applaud:
You surely left your mark on the web, Sir! :Kaleun_Salute:

Back to the lottery.

Andrakis 01-26-17 10:34 AM

I was 10 years old in 1997 and had very little knowledge of what subsims were! However, I did know about a certain SimCity that got me into general computer gaming. My favorite bit was summoning a monster or tornado and letting it wreak havoc on my city - a very 10 year old thing to do.

1997 also gave me my first male teacher in school. He was an extra brought in for a year because we had such a large class. I remember we built model rockets (B cell rockets? I cannot recall), which now that I think about it, probably initially turned me onto scale modelling.

Overall, 1997 was a huge year in turning me into a gamer. It was the year that seeded my initial time sink into so many subsims over the years! :haha:

daft 01-26-17 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2460959)
A toast to the founder of all this, without whom we would not be here - not in the first, and not for that long:

Neal Stevens :Kaleun_Applaud:
You surely left your mark on the web, Sir! :Kaleun_Salute:

Back to the lottery.

:Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Cheers:

:subsim::up:

jimbob 01-26-17 11:12 AM

I was living/working in Norway, probably too much.
Not many memories....

Anyways, HBd. SubSim!

:Kaleun_Cheers:

Larrywb57 01-26-17 11:43 AM

Wow Twenty years!

That seemed like yesterday........or was that the day before. Trying to learn how to use a computer and I still trying. Funny how things are still the same. Nine years after the birth of my daughter, the joy of my wife and I. Four years before my life changed forever. And in a few days, the birth of my grandson. Were has it all gone?

Graduations Neal! Silent Hunter 4 and this web site has help me keep my sanity for the past few years. :subsim:

Guineo 01-26-17 12:33 PM

A year later I married, hahaha, I think it was the time of the modem to 33600, and working as a bodyguard ....... what times ....
It's a pleasure to read to you all, and thank you for everything:Kaleun_Cheers:
Muy buen trabajo,...único:Kaleun_Salute:

Schroeder 01-26-17 01:15 PM

20 years on the net, that's beyond ancient in the internet age.:o

I was still a 9th grader in school in 1997. Not much out of the ordinary happened to me in that year though. Well, I sucked at math and had to take private lessons to get through Latin but that's about it. I do however remember being late for one of my private Latin classes because I watched the ceremony of Hong Kong being returned to China on TV (live IIRC).:hmmm:

Anvar1061 01-26-17 01:26 PM

In 1997 I received the rank of captain.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/imag...n_Salute-1.gif

JesterV2 01-26-17 01:30 PM

wow.....you guys are ancient! :Kaleun_Wink:
in '97 i was only 2 years old...
t'was the year my father bought the best car in the world.... a Volvo V90.
and we still enjoy it to this day.... we've grown very fond of it.
And i actually got married last year!

HW3 01-26-17 01:33 PM

1997 I was 45 years old working on a wheat farm, and playing B-17 II Flying Fortress The Mighty Eighth with the online group at Bombs a Way. I had yet to discover sub sims and Subsim at that time, that came later in 2005 with the launch of SH3, and I've been hooked ever since.:subsim:

skin-nl 01-26-17 02:23 PM

In 1997 i was 17 years old. I was playing command aces of the deep, and was driving my yamaha scooter and listen to hardcore :up:

Fubar2Niner 01-26-17 02:54 PM

Geez '97 ??

Moved into my third house, I was 42 (depending on the month ;) ) The futrue looked rosy. Had three beautiful kids, another still to follow. Work went haywire.. and the worries set in. Turned to this community many times, (both public and in PM) for straight talk advice and good old fashoined camaradarie. Never been let down, never been failed.

On the good side, had another son, got four beautiful grandkids, one son and daughter in great marriages, one engaged, the last boy.... Well don't think he's ever gonna fly the nest, but hey. You know when some times that one thing just makes your day!

Congrats SUBSIM. Congrats Onkel.

Best regards and salutations.

Fubar2Niner

Hitman 01-26-17 02:59 PM

In 1997 I had been already 25 years impatiently waiting for subsim.com to finally go online. Finally it happened and here I am since then :D