SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   HBO's Game of Thrones (Lots of spoilers-stay out if you don't want to know all) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=194137)

Jimbuna 04-10-12 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1867715)
I love seeing Joffrey get slapped, over and over:

Aye....he's a right 'slapper' :DL

Falkirion 04-10-12 06:40 PM

I still haven't watched the first season but I've read all 5 books, only finished up A Dance With Dragons last week. Long slog but totally worth it. Brilliant story so far.

Now to get caught up and watch episode 4 so I'm at least making head way on the show and can start watching season 2.

Tyrion, Jon, Arya and surprisingly Dany for me are my favorite 4. Can't wait to see season 3/4, book 4 was a great little side story told from a great number of less important but still plot relevant characters.

Gargamel 04-11-12 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1867700)
^That's a pretty big spoiler for who haven't seen the 1st season yet.

The only rule, and I mean THE ONLY RULE, you have with this series, and I mean the books, is don't get attached to any character. As soon as you like them, they die.

Onkel Neal 06-05-12 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1867299)
Last night was a doozy. I was wondering how they'd top the infanticide in the first episode this season. The scene in Littlefinger's brothel topped it. Yuck. :rotfl2:

The books are great. I read the first one and got ahead of the series as I couldn't put it down. I'm not doing that for the second season. I'm only reading along with the series, and not ahead.

Theon Greyjoy's sister Asha is pretty....ah....mannish looking, isn't she?

Outstanding last two episodes. Wow, so many plot points wrapped up or advanced. This is TV done right (like Breaking Bad, unlike Sons of Anarchy and the woefully dumb Walking Dead).

So now... then long winter until season three... :wah:

Dowly 06-05-12 09:30 AM

As much as I love the show, the slow pace is really starting to tick me off.

I thought first season was slow, but then came the 2nd and it was 8 episodes of
pretty much nothing and 2 episodes of quickly wrapping things up to a cliffhanger
ending. :damn:

antikristuseke 06-05-12 10:17 AM

Just read hte bloody books at your own pace and quit complaining :O:

0rpheus 06-05-12 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1893751)
Outstanding last two episodes. Wow, so many plot points wrapped up or advanced. This is TV done right (like Breaking Bad, unlike Sons of Anarchy and the woefully dumb Walking Dead).

So now... then long winter until season three... :wah:

Yep, especially the very end of that final episode! I've started on the books now too (mrs' kindle versions) as there's no way I'll last a whole year! :O:

mookiemookie 06-05-12 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1893751)
and the woefully dumb Walking Dead

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW, YOU HEAR ME!? :hulk:

Egan 06-05-12 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly (Post 1893753)
As much as I love the show, the slow pace is really starting to tick me off.

I thought first season was slow, but then came the 2nd and it was 8 episodes of
pretty much nothing and 2 episodes of quickly wrapping things up to a cliffhanger
ending. :damn:

But what a cliff hanger! Wow! last nights episode was fantastic in so many different ways.

I'm really enjoying the show. I think the pace is just about right and rather than the 'Sopranos in Middle Earth' tag it got landed with early on, it's seems much more like the Wire now in the way it doesn't hold your hand when it comes to remembering who that character who appeared for a scene in series one, episode 5 is when they reappear, and what plots they fit into.

I also like they seem to have done the moral ambiguity of many of the characters correctly. what I mean is they haven't been shy of handling the more human side of characters like Little Finger, and they've done it in a subtle and believable way where it could have been very heavy handed. For all the blood and gore, there is a lot of subtlety in the books.

Can't wait. It'll be April before it's on, won't it? :nope: Well, Sky are showing their new Sinbad show in a few weeks which might be good for a laugh. I wonder when the Borgias and Boardwalk Empire are coming back?

mookiemookie 06-05-12 02:18 PM

Boardwalk Empire is going to be back after this season of True Blood...so say in about 10 weeks or so.

Egan 06-05-12 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1893858)
Boardwalk Empire is going to be back after this season of True Blood...so say in about 10 weeks or so.

That's good. I really didn't enjoy the first season of Boardwalk Empire, but the second was one of the TV highlights of the last year. I think every problem I had with it was remedied. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Onkel Neal 06-05-12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1893788)
YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW, YOU HEAR ME!? :hulk:

Haha.... No, seriously, Walking Dead = dumb. The idiots in the show never do anything except proclaim "He can't protect you, only I can protect you" over and over and over. Great line for a drinking game. :haha:

And no one in the show does a single smart thing: no one gets a safe perimeter set up with 10' fencing and reinforced posts, though they have weeks to do it. No one rounds up a couple of bulldozers with reinforced, enclosed cabins. Though they have weeks to do it. Where are the 4x4 trucks with supplies and ammo? Dumb. They argue over 'who's the daddy', one of the most stale plot devices ever, and so very out of place in a world of zombies, hostile bands of people, and end of the world stuff. Boring!! :yawn: And when they disagree, they get in fistfights in the middle of the zombies. :88) Dumb! In the finale, they fight zombies in the morning for an hour, jump in TWO cars with empty fuel tanks, then stop on the side of the road to camp so they camp so they can "save gas" and get more in the morning? What?? WTH? It's like 10 am in the morning, and where are they that another gas station isn't like 12 miles away?? And what difference does it make if they wait 18 hours for dawn, they still have the same amount of gas in the fuel tank? Are they "safe" there? Hell, no...lol. But it's a great place for one guy to tell his group he's in charge and is their dictator. Oh god, it's so funny.

Yeah, it's a great show, in a MST3K kind of way, Mookie. Sorry :O:

:timeout::timeout::timeout:The Walking Dead - The Metacontextual Edition

http://autotelic.com/+image/wd_sheriff.jpg

Quote:

Audience: Wow, that was incredible! We've never seen a show convey the killing of a zombie as an act of compassion so well before. We didn't expect to be put in a position of sympathy for a zombie. This series is going to be great!
2 eps later

Quote:

Audience: No... no... no... Why is this all turning to ----? This is nothing like the first episode... all our hopes are crumbling around us...

:rotfl2:

Gargamel 06-05-12 10:42 PM

http://i.imgur.com/9poiY.jpg

Falkirion 06-05-12 11:08 PM

^ Haha The "iron" throne. Love it that someone took that literally. Great find Gargamel

Onkel Neal 06-05-12 11:45 PM

Fire cannot kill the Dragon (spoilers, be warned)

Dowly 06-06-12 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1894018)
Haha.... No, seriously, Walking Dead = dumb.

I agree. Watched it until episode 3-4 of the 2nd season and couldn't bear it anymore. :dead:

Gargamel 07-01-12 01:04 AM

SOB

SOB

DAMN YOU GRR MARTIN!!!

just finished the last book.

DAMN YOU!

no update on the next one in his website.

:/\\!!

Falkirion 07-01-12 06:09 PM

It's a bit like that. Can't wait for the Winds of Winter myself. Here's hoping he finishes it soon

Dowly 05-02-13 04:34 PM

Found these today and thought they were quite interesting.
She goes over the history of all the great houses of Westeros.

!!! There be some foul language and some spoilers !!!

Game of Thrones: Epic History: The Targaryens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfYj-cHM5c

Game of Thrones: Epic History: LANNISTERS: p1/2 Tytos and Tywin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9q4Ht-W164

Game of Thrones: Epic History: LANNISTERS. p2/2. Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion & Joffrey Baratheon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLXmhA0jVOI

That's all she has done so far.

Red October1984 05-02-13 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1894018)
Haha.... No, seriously, Walking Dead = dumb. The idiots in the show never do anything except proclaim "He can't protect you, only I can protect you" over and over and over. Great line for a drinking game. :haha:

And no one in the show does a single smart thing: no one gets a safe perimeter set up with 10' fencing and reinforced posts, though they have weeks to do it. No one rounds up a couple of bulldozers with reinforced, enclosed cabins. Though they have weeks to do it. Where are the 4x4 trucks with supplies and ammo? Dumb. They argue over 'who's the daddy', one of the most stale plot devices ever, and so very out of place in a world of zombies, hostile bands of people, and end of the world stuff. Boring!! :yawn: And when they disagree, they get in fistfights in the middle of the zombies. :88) Dumb! In the finale, they fight zombies in the morning for an hour, jump in TWO cars with empty fuel tanks, then stop on the side of the road to camp so they camp so they can "save gas" and get more in the morning? What?? WTH? It's like 10 am in the morning, and where are they that another gas station isn't like 12 miles away?? And what difference does it make if they wait 18 hours for dawn, they still have the same amount of gas in the fuel tank? Are they "safe" there? Hell, no...lol. But it's a great place for one guy to tell his group he's in charge and is their dictator. Oh god, it's so funny.

Yeah, it's a great show, in a MST3K kind of way, Mookie. Sorry :O:

Wow! Somebody I can agree with!

I hate the Walking Dead. I watched it expecting some zombie apocalypse action but they've probably only killed 20 zombies in the whole series. :06: WTH!?!

MOAR ZOMBIE KILLING PLZ! :doh: