SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Dud Torps (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210967)

BigWalleye 02-02-14 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2170617)
[INDENT] I would consider it a cheat. Yes, you might get less renown, but you are altering a game file to save a career that would otherwise be at an end.

Do you always play DID? Is not playing DID a cheat IUO?

Red Devil 02-02-14 09:13 AM

I dont see the problem using a cheat for that purpose, it is after all ONLY A GAME. Don't take it seriously. Its a games fault you are out of fuel ,not the USN. come on lighten up!

aanker 02-02-14 12:19 PM

In the old SH1 - SHCE if you used too much fuel in the assigned patrol area and not saving enough to RTB, depending on how it was calculated, there was a graphic that could be seen of your boat being towed back to port.... essentially saving your career. I saw the graphic while looking though the files, but never had it in-game.

While on the career saving subject, there was also an 'abandon ship' option in SHCE with three outcomes; captured POW, KIA, or Rescued - saving the career. I think this was displayed in newspaper headlines. It's been a while so I'm not 100% sure on that one...

Both were nice options I wish had been included in SH4. I play DID or Sunk is sunk, however running out of fuel 100 nm from base, or abandoning ship at 26' shouldn't be a 100% career killer imo, there were friendlies in WWII.

Anyway, SH4 is what it is :)

I apologize for straying off topic!

Armistead 02-02-14 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aanker (Post 2170774)
In the old SH1 - SHCE if you used too much fuel in the assigned patrol area and not saving enough to RTB, depending on how it was calculated, there was a graphic that could be seen of your boat being towed back to port.... essentially saving your career. I saw the graphic while looking though the files, but never had it in-game.

While on the career saving subject, there was also an 'abandon ship' option in SHCE with three outcomes; captured POW, KIA, or Rescued - saving the career. I think this was displayed in newspaper headlines. It's been a while so I'm not 100% sure on that one...

Both were nice options I wish had been included in SH4. I play DID or Sunk is sunk, however running out of fuel 100 nm from base, or abandoning ship at 26' shouldn't be a 100% career killer imo, there were friendlies in WWII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaSh8i5eyE
Anyway, SH4 is what it is :)

I apologize for straying off topic!

I think Trav gives the option to return to base with a push of a button in one of his mods for a lil loss of renown.

aanker 02-02-14 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 2170810)
I think Trav gives the option to return to base with a push of a button in one of his mods for a lil loss of renown.

Thanks, I've never had a fuel issue, however once we were damaged and homeward bound at 26'.... roughly 48 hours later my crew were killed from CO2 poisoning. They could have easily escaped to safety from that depth.

Happy Hunting!

merc4ulfate 02-02-14 10:30 PM

If you use the Traveller mods you get a one time SOS.

As long as you follow the instructions, if you are so seriously damaged you can not return to port ie. destroyed screws or engines or you have unwisely ran your engines and wasted fuel the mod will allow you to be returned to base as if you had to be towed in.

You will lose 400 points in Renown but will save your boat and crew ... minus the shame and hazing everyone at port will give you for not being more efficient and judicious in follow procedures.

TorpX 02-03-14 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWalleye (Post 2170681)
Do you always play DID? Is not playing DID a cheat IUO?

Yes, I always play DID in career. Sometimes I will play a mission, or construct a mission, to test some aspect of the sim, or develop a mod or technique, or such. My careers are always DID. Sometimes, I will lose a career for stupid/unfair reasons (this is a subjective matter, though), but they are lost to me just the same. I can't bring myself to go back to resurrect a deceased captain, knowing all the while HE IS REALLY DEAD.

As far as "cheating" is concerned, that kind of depends. If you consider yourself a serious (or "hardcore") player, I would say non-DID is a cheat. If you are a casual player, then no, it isn't.

I have nothing against casual players, or new players using easy settings, or game workarounds. I started with SHCE playing casually, with auto-targeting. I knew nothing about the game, and not much more about the subs and campaign. Everybody has to start somewhere. I try to encourage new people to be more serious, as I believe this provides a richer experience.

I realize not everyone is a serious player, but I have to assume, most of us here, have more than a casual interest. Even if you don't have a serious interest in this game now, you may develop a greater interest in the future. (It would help enormously, if someone developed a better version than what Ubisoft gave us.) Also, I understand, many of those who have only a causal interest in SH, may be seriously devoted to other games/sims. It really isn't possible to be devoted to very many. Everybody has their own favorites.

Back to the fuel/towing thing. I can see getting towed back to port if you are close, and taking a big hit in renown, along the lines of what Traveller did. The routine aspects of patrolling are pretty easy, though, so it should require a substantial penalty, imo.

Sniper297 02-03-14 02:08 AM

I've been playing computer games and simulators since the TRS-80 came out in 1979, so 35 years worth. Not non-stop, obviously! :har: The problem with cheating is a balance - if you don't cheat at all most games get tedious and/or irritating. If you cheat too much they get boring. It's a very rare game that is programmed so perfectly that a little cheating doesn't make it more fun rather than less, but again it's tricky to get just the right balance.

Running out of fuel in SH4 is irritating, crossing the Pacific at 10 knots is tedious, so it's the best place to cheat - a LITTLE.

What I did was use Silent 3ditor to open the \Data\Submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.sim file, edited the 11:unit_Submarine\Ranges\Surfaced to
miles=18000
knots=15

That gave me a little more range at standard speed instead of chugging along at 10 knots. Eventually I gave up on the whole Pearl Harbor thing and went Asiatic, then started playing with the mission editor to create new resupply bases so I never bothered to increase the Sargo range.

So if you want to cheat a LITTLE do the same with your favorite sub, add ballast fuel tanks and increase the range by 2000 or 3000 miles. Don't go overboard and increase to 50000 or something, if it's too much you might as well select unlimited fuel.

Red Devil 02-03-14 05:08 AM

cheating is not a bad thing, but some purists disagree.

I too recall the tow back to port scene; and yes, have used it. Shame it cannot be in SH4.

I may have to scrap every save after this current one and the limited fuel tick does not work, I still have full tanks after going from Pearl to Midway to 'refit' on the way to Japan.

I actually got hit by one of my own torps at one stage, strangely it did not sink me??? Something that did happen in reality as I recall, might have been the Tang. I do real research into US subs in the Pacific for my ww2 site.

Sniper: I like your fuel 'adjustment' will copy that.

Renown is not important at all to me. I do not 'pay' for Torps as I refit on the way home and arrive at base with a full compliment, refit is free. The only trime I do pay is on changeover from one to another type, then, again, refit is free. Lets face it, ever see a real sub driver paying for his torps??

merc4ulfate 02-03-14 04:08 PM

Some purest seem to have a great desire to get hot under the collar about it LOL

The usual scream is that it is not historically accurate.

If I do not like something ... I simply find a way to fix it but getting bent out of shape about it is a character flaw I can do without.

aanker 02-03-14 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 2171019)
... I actually got hit by one of my own torps at one stage, strangely it did not sink me??? Something that did happen in reality as I recall, might have been the Tang.....

Lucky for you, probably one time you were happy to have a dud. Did they complain about the dent back at Pearl? - lol

Happy Hunting!

BigWalleye 02-04-14 10:36 AM

It has been said that: “Perversion is anything I won’t do.” The same could be said for “cheating” in a single-player, non-competitive game.

In another sense, cheating is a lot like sinning: If you thought you were doing it, and you intended to do it, then you did it.

"If you're not having fun, then you're not doing it right. And if you are having fun, then regardless of what other people tell you, you're doing it right."

Armistead 02-04-14 11:37 AM

haha, I once refitted under water during battle at Tulagi....

fireftr18 02-04-14 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 2171482)
haha, I once refitted under water during battle at Tulagi....

I remember that story. The secret cave with the underwater entrance, wasn't it? :har:

If I remember right, you went out, wasted torpedoes, then went back. Torpedoes replaced, batteries fully charged, and co2 completely gone. :har:

merc4ulfate 02-04-14 02:55 PM

I have too Armistead.

I was once struck by my own fish as well. Destroyed the engine room, shafts and propellers. I went no where really really fast.

I came across a set of documents from the last month of the war. If you scroll down to Part V page 103 your going to find a very good report and detailed description of the circling incident with the Tang. I was surprised to read the 300 yard surface firing O'Kane was doing.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...PAC-45Aug.html