SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL-UBM]Kriegsmarine AOB Finder (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135184)

Nisgeis 04-18-08 08:32 AM

Are the viewport settings the same in menu_1024.ini?

Nisgeis 04-18-08 10:12 AM

I'm not sure, the last time I battled with the menu file, I lost! The thought I had was the US periscope is a larger view than the U-Boat view. If the game uses the same 'view' for the outside world, but uses a smaller aperture, then this would mask off most of the image and skew the zoom factor. That's the only thing I can think of that would make the image too big. I think in the menu file, it has the location of the view window, but I'm not sure and can't check atm.

kiwi_2005 04-18-08 11:08 AM

The OLC mod is bloody awesome i use it with SH3 now i see parts of it coming to SH4:rock::rock:

Hitman 04-18-08 11:39 AM

Quote:

The models in SH4 and SH3 use the same scale, so I don't have a clue why a ship at 3000m in SH4 is twice as big as in SH3 when seen through the scope :confused:
Do the SH4 scopes have bigger field of view than SH3? This should just determine how much water you see around the ship -not the ship size itself- but who know how the game code does simulate that :hmm:

Nisgeis 04-18-08 01:23 PM

Erm... that doesn't make any sense at all! :hmm:

The first and second attack scope views - were they both at 1.5x zoom? If they are that's strange, as the SH4 image is twice as large as the SH3 image at 1.5x, but then when you set the SH4 scope to 3x, it's the same size as the 1.5x SH3 image - this must mean that increasing magnification has made the image smaller - I can't be reading these images correctly. The last two attack show images show both at 1x? That shows the SH4 is again twice as big as the SH3 image. Are the magnifications I've read correct?

What's the length of that ship in meters? If you can set it so that it shows 90 degree angle on the bow, we can work out what image is correct. If the field of view of the scope is 60 degrees, then at 1.5x power the field of view should be 40 degrees and at 6x power it should be 10 degrees. That sounds a bit high to me, but that should be the same in both games. If we know the length of the ship and the range, we can work out how many degrees the target should take up and use that to determine which image is correct and what is going wrong.

Rockin Robbins 04-18-08 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisgeis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhayl
First post updated with the reworked version :)

@Nisgeis, if you want to give it a go, check this link, nice & easy "how to" :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=207

Blimey! That looks complicated. I'll have to put my thinking cap on and read that again tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

While it is complicated, it authentically shows the genius of German design. I found the SH3 version not bad at all after a few repetitions. This is a very big part of making the U-Boat authentic and it cannot be considered complete without it. This is very important stuff Mikhayl! I look forward to its completion.

Hitman 04-18-08 03:14 PM

Obviously the starting point should be the "real" thing, so I would suggest to calculate first how a ship appeared to the Kaleun when looking through the ocular of his scope, and then try to tweak the game to achieve the same result.

From my documents library:

Attack scope:

Zoom: 1.5x and 6x
Field of view: 38º and 9º
Linear field of view: 689 and 157 metres @ 1000 metres distance

Observation scope (Late war model):

i.e. same data BUT more light into the ocular due to bigger prisms.

Thus, a 157 metres long ship should cover exactly the ocular at 90º AOB, 1.5x zoom and 1000 metres distance :yep:

Hitman 04-18-08 03:42 PM

Sorry, yes at 6x zoom :damn:

Nisgeis 04-18-08 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman

Using one of the formulas for a right angled triangle, Adjacent length * Tan(angle) = Opposite length, using the figures from Hitman, we can confirm the formula works by working out the linear filed of view. Half linear field of view = tan(half angle) * range.

Half = tan(4.5) * 1000 = 78.7m. Multiply it by two and you get 157.4m.

Linear field of view at 2,000m where you have that tanker is twice that at 314m, so a tanker that is 190m long should take up 60% of the scope at 2km.

Working with angles, the ship at 2km should have a total of 5.44 degrees bearing change from bow to stern - can you check that reading and see if it's approx right? 5.44 divided by the field of view angle is also 60%. Your scope though at 60 degree field of view and at 1.5x and 6x magnification will give you a zoomed field of view of 40 degrees and 10 degrees. At that FOV the target at 2km should take up 54% of the scope.

The 190m tanker should completely fill the 1.5x scope, assuming it's got a field of view of 36 degrees as Hitman states, at a range of 292m and at 6x, 1,207m with a field of view of 9 degrees. For a scope of 40 degrees field of view a range of 261m fills the 1.5x scope and range of 1,086m fills the scope at 6x for a scope of 10 degrees field of view. It also follows that at those ranges, the difference between the bow and stern bearings should equal the field of view it was calculated for.

OK, sorry about the maths, it doesn't come across well. Neither the SH3 or SH4 images seem quite right.

Nisgeis 04-18-08 04:53 PM

That Dido at 1km should have an 8.92 degree spread from bow to stern if it's 156m long. Can you confirm that? Some of the lengths / mast heights in SH4 are a bit wonky in stock.

WernerSobe 04-18-08 04:55 PM

Quote:

Isn't the stock zoom setting in SH4 1x/4x ? :hmm:

it is.

But real U-boat periscope did have 1,5x/6x zoom not 1x/4x. Same for Fleet boats btw..

Rockin Robbins 04-18-08 06:16 PM

OMG! You hit it dead on! Great job guys. Question? Are the boat lengths and mast heights in the recognition manual correct? Should they be? (opening a BIG can of worms here!:up:)

I'm going to throw my two cents in there and say that our recognition manual should only be as accurate as the real thing was.

joegrundman 04-18-08 08:47 PM

Quote:

The Dido has a mast height of 36,4m, x2 = ~73m. I know that the ship is at exactly 1000m, so I align 10(00) with 73 on the outer disc. the inner disc 90 mark tells us that the ship's height should cover about 16,8 vertical scopemarks.
Why are you doubling the mastheight? There is no reason for it in this version. You can change the numbers on the reticule so you don't have to do it.

Anyway, so it seems that SH4 has effectively applied an additional unrecorded zoom of x2 on the scopes.

One solution is that i could adjust the AOB finder image for the new settings and send it back to you. I still have all the pds files i used to make it in the first place and the adjustments wouldn't take me very long

joe

Nisgeis 04-19-08 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Are the boat lengths and mast heights in the recognition manual correct? Should they be? (opening a BIG can of worms here!:up:)

I'm going to throw my two cents in there and say that our recognition manual should only be as accurate as the real thing was.

I agree about the recognition manual shop be accurately innacurate. If the cargo ship in question was built for one country by another, they would have very accurate information on that ship type, but if it was a military ship, they'd have to use photographs / estimates to calculate the dimensions. The Yamato for example was a very well kept secret and the allies had no idea of its dimensions. They assumed it was the same size as their own largest battleship.

Even if the dimension are known and are accurate, the enemy would know about stadimeters and ship recognition and would take steps to diguise their vessels. Masts lengths and funnels were altered, in some cases an extra canvas funnel was added to change the silhouette.

Mav87th 04-19-08 07:45 AM

Quote:

Obviously the starting point should be the "real" thing, so I would suggest to calculate first how a ship appeared to the Kaleun when looking through the ocular of his scope, and then try to tweak the game to achieve the same result.

From my documents library:

Attack scope:

Observation scope (Late war model):

i.e. same data BUT more light into the ocular due to bigger prisms.

Thus, a 157 metres long ship should cover exactly the ocular at 90º AOB, 1.5x zoom and 1000 metres distance :yep:

Edit - i did not realize the first time that you were speaking of U-boat's and not Fleetboats

Anyway the US subs had :

FOV was 32° and 8° not 38 and 9 - fleet type submarine manual pages 77, 443 and 526.

Thats a liner field of view of 419,44 feet pr. 1000 yards in high power (8° or x6 zoom) or 1677,76 feet in low power (32° or x1.5)