SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] RFB/Real Fleet Boat for 1.5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125529)

AVGWarhawk 12-02-08 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybywire
Thanks for the reply. Would I install RSRD via the previous instructions? RSRD_v1.5_v395_RCS, RSRD_v395 Patch 4, RSRD_AuxGB Fix. Also do you know if RUIM is included in RFB 1.52?

All that I'm running is RFB, RSRD V1.5_v395. RUIM is included if I'm not mistaken. There is a patch for RFB on the first post in this thread. Get that patch also.

ancient46 12-02-08 10:26 PM

AVGWarhawk and Flybywire, any reasons why you aren't using RSRDC_RFBv15_v396 that was released for the RFB 1.52?

Quagmire 12-02-08 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmire
You guys did a great job making the SJ Radar behave erratically, especially in bad weather. However, the SD radar is supernatually flawless. I have never been attacked by a plane since the SD is always faithful.

A quirky SD radar set would add to the suspence. Any way to simulate that?

It just might be possible.

Whoa! That would make me think twice about running on the surface while in enemy waters. Right now I have no fear since the SD always lets me know an aircraft is approaching. An SD radar that wasnt 100% trustworthy would definitely add to the immersion factor! (or the pucker factor!)

cleverusername 12-02-08 11:39 PM

I have a suggestion for those who want to dive deeper than 450 ft.

What about changing the "crash depth"? This is the depth you automatically level off at when you order a crash dive. It's defaulted to 150 feet. If we change that to say 800 feet, would that let the sub dive deeper?

It makes more sense to do it this way than to change the radar depth for example. If you're ordering a crash dive, that means something's gone seriously wrong on the surface. Wouldn't you want to be as far away from there as possible?

AVGWarhawk 12-03-08 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient46
AVGWarhawk and Flybywire, any reasons why you aren't using RSRDC_RFBv15_v396 that was released for the RFB 1.52?

I am using 396. Typo:-?

Kaleun 12-04-08 09:37 AM

hi,

Stupid question no doubt, i have used the search function to no avail!!

I've just installed RFB with RSRDC after a long time using TMO. i go to set up a campaign and i'm offered the difficulty choices " easy, normal, hard and very Hard" which one is RFB optomised to work with??

I don't want to remove realism by playing on the incorrect difiiculty setting, i was kinda hoping to find a "Realistic" setting like on TMO and you knew you were playing at the right level.

Regards

Kaleun

DeepIron 12-04-08 09:40 AM

I usually test and play at the "normal" setting with 100% realism and it's plenty challenging. When I test, I leave the external camera on, but in a personal battle or campaign, I turn it off. It's REALLY scary when you can't "peek" around to see what's happening...

AVGWarhawk 12-04-08 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepIron
I usually test and play at the "normal" setting with 100% realism and it's plenty challenging. When I test, I leave the external camera on, but in a personal battle or campaign, I turn it off. It's REALLY scary when you can't "peek" around to see what's happening...

100% is the way to go IMO. Instead of the God's eye view when DD are dumping ash cans on you, all you can do is look up at the hull, listen and hope you made the correct evasive action.

Kaleun 12-04-08 09:45 AM

hi,

Ta for that DeepIron! i shall go forth and do battle on normal setting!

Regards

Kaleun

theluckyone17 12-04-08 10:43 AM

Synopsis: For Pete's sake, stay away from targets that want to ram you. This new DM for the sub doesn't like ramming at all, even glancing blows, rubbing, etc.

In detail: I sighted a 4,800 ton medium old tanker in early '42, just north of Java. He was hauling at 11 knots... apparently he had somewhere to be. I maneuvered into position, fired off three tubes from the rear... and each one went deep, right under the target. I swung around, fired the front four tubes in utter frustration, failing to notice that the target had since killed his speed. Chalk up four misses.

Seein' as he didn't have an armament, I surface and started plunking away at him with the deck gun. We finally settled into a routine with him chasing me down, presumably in an attempt to ram me (brave little bugger). I kept ahead of him without a problem. After thoroughly perforating his bow with 25-30 rounds, I swung to starboard to fire at his stern (and engine room). He swung away, giving up on the ramming bit. As a result, we started opening the gap up.

I just hit the rudder over to port, and circled around... figured I had enough room. Nope. He went from evade mode to ramming mode again. Once I realized he was getting too close for comfort, I centered the rudder, expecting to simply move down alongside the target, just brushing him.

That didn't work out... he kicked the rudder over to his port, and we ended up rubbing his port side (just about at his first mast) with my engine room.

Immediately, the engine room compartment and pressure hull was destroyed, along with damaging the clean fuel bunker and one diesel engine. Flooding commenced, and filled the compartment (presumably because the pressure hull and compartment were fully destroyed, my damage control couldn't do anything about it. She proceeded to slowly sink lower into the water, until she was finally submerged and the sim would let me blow ballast tanks. That failed to do anything, period. Deeper and deeper we went, 'til we finally slammed into the ocean floor at 165 feet. I ordered full stop, but the damage progressed, 'til there was no way we were getting back to the surface.

Lesson: Don't get rammed. Don't get brushed. Both are bad.

Rockin Robbins 12-04-08 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckyone17
Synopsis: For Pete's sake, stay away from targets that want to ram you. This new DM for the sub doesn't like ramming at all, even glancing blows, rubbing, etc.

Lesson: Don't get rammed. Don't get brushed. Both are bad.

A great commercial and gripping story about the goodness inside every package of Real Fleet Boat! Thanks!

IronPerch 12-04-08 02:44 PM

Quote:

Another stupid question: isn't the difficulty choices selection just a quick way to do your realism settings? If not no wonder why i have to work my ass of to get something sunk :p

Rockin Robbins 12-04-08 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronPerch
Quote:

Another stupid question: isn't the difficulty choices selection just a quick way to do your realism settings? If not no wonder why i have to work my ass of to get something sunk :p

That's all it is. You can choose easy, go into the realism settings and check all the boxes and get to 100% realism if you want.

kylesplanet 12-04-08 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

100% is the way to go IMO. Instead of the God's eye view when DD are dumping ash cans on you, all you can do is look up at the hull, listen and hope you made the correct evasive action.

Not to derail this discussion but when I quit using the external cam, I would catch myself looking up at the ceiling when the DC's started falling. :p

AVGWarhawk 12-04-08 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylesplanet
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:

Not to derail this discussion but when I quit using the external cam, I would catch myself looking up at the ceiling when the DC's started falling. :p

:yep: Yep, I listen to see which side the DD is coming from.