SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Subsim Events & Activities (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   SUBSIM: 20 years on the web & still no gold watch! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229441)

Aktungbby 02-22-17 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkel Neal (Post 2467978)
And with that, the Subsim 20th "What were you doing in 1997" contest comes to a close. Thanks for your participation!

Neal

https://media.giphy.com/media/Imfw3sW8x7z4A/giphy.gif:har: :Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Cheers:JEEZE! What a contest ! So many newcomers in this thread !

dancerdolphin 03-01-17 07:07 PM

My 1997 memories....

I had just moved to Sacramemto CA and my best friend, a union cement truck driver got me a referral to the Roofer's Union and I was accepted into the 3-year apprentice progam and was summarily dispatched to one of the WORST summer jobs ever; tearing off the OLD COAL TAR roof on one of the local High Schools..... I will NEVER forget that misery!:ping:

torpedobait 03-02-17 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancerdolphin (Post 2469633)
I had just moved to Sacramemto CA and my best friend, a union cement truck driver got me a referral to the Roofer's Union and I was accepted into the 3-year apprentice progam and was summarily dispatched to one of the WORST summer jobs ever; tearing off the OLD COAL TAR roof on one of the local High Schools..... I will NEVER forget that misery!:ping:

Interesting. I also had an outdoor summer job in Sacramento! In 1959 before starting my Jr. year in high school, I worked in the plumbing yard at Cut Rate Plumbing on North 12th Street, which was located right next to an iron foundry. Late in the afternoon they would pour the molten metal from a huge vessel, raising the surrounding air temperature. Besides the already normal hot days of 100-110 degrees, and the heat coming off the black and galvanized bundles of pipe in the plumbing yard, the foundry raised the air temp to something in excess of 120-130 degrees! It was good to be young and able to take it. I would end my work day by driving over to that little beach at Discovery Park and diving into the American River. Man that was refreshing! It would probably kill me today...

:Kaleun_Cheers:

Able72 04-16-17 10:42 PM

1997. . . .

In 1997 I had just finished my first year back in college after having dropped out 3 years earlier. I had moved across the state and started going to one of the colleges that are a part of the big 12.

I started learning about computer hardware.

I didn't even know Sub Simulation games existed. In fact, the last sub game I had played was Sub Hunt on the Intellivision.

Since then I've built more desktop computers than I can remember. I've played a lot of different Simulation Games. Including Silent Hunter 3,4, and 5. IL-2 1946 and various versions since then. I've gotten married and had a successful career.

A lot's happened in 20 years.

Onkel Neal 04-18-17 06:06 AM

Nice post, Able :Kaleun_Applaud:

Red Heat 05-06-17 07:11 AM

A long time a go...
Well back to the 1990 i was serving as a volunteer in the Portuguese Armada (Portuguese Navy) and when i came back to the civil life in 1994 i start to work in my old job in a Navigation Agency and Sea freight and cargo transports. (unfortunately I never play Ace of the Deep because at that time I didn't have pc) Meanwhile i buy my fist pc. Later surfing the net looking about W.W..II topics and submarines I discover the first Silent Hunter, wolfpack league and subsim forum. Very good memories from that time, guys...Thank you for everything. :subsim:

gpaulperry 08-05-17 11:47 AM

What I was doing 1997

My 1st post here on Subsim:
Back in 1997 I was 3 years out from a 20 year stint in the Navy and working at the GA Department of Transportation. Favorite PC games then were Dawn Patrol, Wings Of Glory and Aces of The Deep (still have all three put away, first 2 are CD and Aces is 3.5 floppies) I was a Radioman in the Navy and became Information Technology tech for the GA. DOT. :salute:

Red Devil 08-05-17 02:14 PM

In 97 I too was 3 year out of a 17 year stint in the First royal Tank Regiment. At this time I thought pc was a policeman. I was into computers in the Army and was one of the first in Germany to be trained on the Green Screen Menace. It was called PAMPAS, and it took 2 of us 2 weeks to get the info into the thing. It also had an easter egg - Space invaders!! But was very hard to find. I hated that system, it was dire.

Jimbuna 08-06-17 09:07 AM

Welcome to SubSim gpaulperry :salute: