SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.EXE (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225)

LGN1 09-27-11 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by complutum (Post 1756905)
I've got my SH3 patched to V15G2 plus Stiebler's surrender. Before aply your wolfpack patch i want to know if there is a starting date for it to work. I mean, in my current career i'm on september 1939 and i wonder when in real life started wolfpacks and if ingame is the same or if i shadow now a convoy i could get a wolfpack so early in the war.

Many thanks for your hard work

There is a time- and position-dependence, i.e., the chances to see a wolfpack depends on the date and position. For instance, you will not see a wolfpack in the Black Sea and not in 1939.

Pdubya 09-27-11 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1756886)
My problem with the "Easy version" of a Wolfpack Mod is as follows:

I think most of the time boredom dominated the life of a Uboat crew. A convoy attack or even a wolfpack attack with lots of sinkings was an exception, rare. And rare things are valuable.

Same in the game. As long as convoy battles are rare, players will be glad so see one. Wow! What a battle. They will be happy to finally be part of a wolfpack. "Well done, h.sie".

If I make an "Easy version", wolfpack attacks will degrade to daily events and lose their value. I bet that there will be some experts which will start sh3 only in order to trigger and analyse these battles under the microscope. And since the battles are not perfect, they will find weak points:

"Your wolfpack mod is not bad, BUT......":::

"Too many/few sinkings. Not realistic".

"Explosion animation not nice".

"The AI-Sub doesn't behave realisitc."

and so on.....I'll wager that this happens......

I think you are spot on concerning this- like the old saying goes, just because one can do something doesn't mean they should.

It might be an unpopular stance, but I think it's the right one long term H.Sie.

Oh, and thanks for the reply earlier; I figured you had some sort of "backup" plan in place, I am just a worrier I suppose! :03:

Depth Charger 09-27-11 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=h.sie;1756919]@DepthCharger: Are you in full-screen mode? if so, change into window-mode, because sometimes there is an error-window that is hard to find in full-screen mode.

Update - All installed and working great incl the wolfpack mod.

I am struggling with the contact by site bit and I really hope that you also make it good for use by Hydrophone at some stage.

Else I am enjoying the patch tremendously.

thanks again

dc

h.sie 09-28-11 01:25 AM

Regarding "Lost messages":

If one sends a contact message before he gets the BDU's response to his previous contact message, the BDU response to his previous report gets lost. This is stock sh3 behaviour and not intended by me. This behaviuor wasn't visible since now, because so far we could send only every 12 hours.

I hope now that these "lost messages" are not unrealistic. In the Web I found an interesting document (in german) about radio traffic.

http://www.cdvandt.org/Funkf%20Kap8.pdf

If I understand this document right, the messages have not been sent directly from BDU headquarter to the receiver UBoat. Instead, because of the restricted range, the message was sent over several stations, and even UBoats acted as relais-stations in order to transport messages to UBoats far away from BDU on the atlantic.

If that is true, lost messages seem to be not unrealistic to me.

PapaKilo 09-28-11 01:28 AM

What if BDU sends a radio message as respond to specific U-boat, but she had to crash dive to the abyss because of enemy ?

Resp;onse might be lost this way.

Stiebler 09-28-11 05:10 AM

H.sie said:
Quote:

For times up to 3 hours between two contact messages you don't get any penalty, that means, the chance won't rise that the wolfpack loses the convoy. But for longer times than 3 hours, this chance rises.....

But you should still try to send hourly contact reports whenever possible, in order to lead the wolfpack to the convoy using the shortest and fastest route.
Good idea, I think that this should solve all difficulties.

Stiebler.

Robin40 09-28-11 07:40 AM

No renown gained for shadowing convoy?

makman94 09-28-11 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaKilo (Post 1756618)
Makman, could you drop me a link to the info about u-boat watch crew ship spoting distance ?

here you are PapaKilo : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon

especially the part called ''Objects Above the Horizon''

makman94 09-28-11 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiebler (Post 1757105)
Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Sie
...For times up to 3 hours between two contact messages you don't get any penalty, that means, the chance won't rise that the wolfpack loses the convoy. But for longer times than 3 hours, this chance rises.....

But you should still try to send hourly contact reports whenever possible, in order to lead the wolfpack to the convoy using the shortest and fastest route.

Good idea, I think that this should solve all difficulties.

Stiebler.

yes...i second this :up: seems pretty good deal !

h.sie 09-28-11 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin40 (Post 1757152)
No renown gained for shadowing convoy?

I don't care about renown.

sharkbit 09-28-11 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1756886)
If I make an "Easy version", wolfpack attacks will degrade to daily events and lose their value. I bet that there will be some experts which will start sh3 only in order to trigger and analyse these battles under the microscope. And since the battles are not perfect, they will find weak points:

"Your wolfpack mod is not bad, BUT......":::

"Too many/few sinkings. Not realistic".

"Explosion animation not nice".

"The AI-Sub doesn't behave realisitc."

and so on.....I'll wager that this happens......

My 2 cents, for what it is worth:
Personally, I would rather have the "hard" version where wolfpack attacks are rare and so when they do happen, they are the "crown jewel" that you find and I can say, "Wow! Thanks h.sie(and Stiebler) for all the awesome work that you do!"
But....
Many people do not want to play "Silent Hunter 3: Sail Around the Atlantic Looking for Ships All Day and Becoming Bored to Tears" ;) (believe me-I've had days where that is what I thought I was playing :O:)

Some people may want to play a ahistorical "easy" version of your wolfpacks. I'd probably do it a couple of times just so I can see it work and get a feel for it before I went back into "hard" mode which may be more realistic.

As far as people complaining...if your mod helps create a historical feel while not behaving in a perfectly realistic manner, so be it. As long as it captures the "feel" for the tactic, who cares?
I believe that is Duscimus' philosophy behind his TMO mod in SH4. Allow the mod to make you behave like a real sub commander will, even though how the game does it might not be completely "realistic". After all, it is still a game.

:)

PapaKilo 09-28-11 01:26 PM

How will AI boats behave in bad weather ? Will they still attack with deck guns ?

And if it's heavy fog and night ? Can't they just pass the convoy by... or even between the convoy columns without attacking any ship ? :o

PapaKilo 09-28-11 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.sie (Post 1756926)
After a short discussion with LGN1, I will make a new version in the next days with the following change:

For times up to 3 hours between two contact messages you don't get any penalty, that means, the chance won't rise that the wolfpack loses the convoy. But for longer times than 3 hours, this chance rises.....

You made a short discussion with the man who created and is using frequently his "more zig zaging units" ? So as I understand basicaly nothing has changed for ppl who will not use "more zig zaging units mod" anyway. Forcing Kaleuns to risk their boat and crew every 3 hours for a bloody report ?

Perhaps there should be separated option in OptionSelector not in the difficulty settings: HARD or EASY, but for those who prefer to hunt with "more zig zaging units" and for those with GWX basics ?

Restrictions to report convoy position every 3 hours is about the same as report every 1 hour which I find funny. Convoy traveling 7-9 knots is far from a speeding car on the road. Say conv speed is 8 knots in 3 hours it will make about 45 km progress ? This distance is nothing in the Ocean :)

If AI of U-boats can rearange their courses depending on reports, why there is a restriction for 3 hours ? :shifty:

I realy don't want to sound rude, but this time it gets on me, sorry :)

Capt. Morgan 09-28-11 02:19 PM

In order to satisfy the players natural curiosity about what a Wolf-Pack attack will look like, perhaps you could include a demo mission (I'm assuminng you probably already have one for testing) rather than making an "easy" mode.

CCIP 09-28-11 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaKilo (Post 1757308)
Forcing Kaleuns to risk their boat and crew every 3 hours for a bloody report ?

And how do you think some of the real U-boat captains felt about that prospect? If wolfpack operations were a piece of cake, why would you get into them in the first place? Noone's forcing you - just disregard BdU instructions and attack yourself!

Personally I don't understand the desire to have your cake and eat it too when you're not interested in doing a reasonable amount of work for it. If you're not interested in a cat-and-mouse game of contact, perhaps you're not really interested in wolfpack operations in the first place. This mod is a bit of a waste unless you are imo - there are far easier ways to get some AI boats to cause some havoc in the convoy than what this mod is trying to do, and I don't think h.sie is interested in that - other people have already done those mods. The uniqueness of this mod is that it does allow you to sink your teeth into the real difficulties and complexity of those ops.