SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL] MightyFine Crew Mod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163591)

blechritter 03-23-10 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1330154)
Yeah. I suppose removing the Depth tag means you can't overide it once you enter it. What happens if you issue a surface command right afterwards?

I suppose, that each and every command called in a particular sequence will trigger its unique script if not overwritten by a command belonging to the same CommandClass (except 'Generic' which presumably never should get overwritten). This allows to orchestrate animations according to a well defined sequence of commands. Overwriting might be necessary though to prevent funny results. So I guess if a surface command requires its own set of animations thru its own script, it should be 'Generic'.

At the end, each set of commands expected to be executed in a particular sequence should be examined if overwriting should be utilized or disabled.

Hope I could provide assistance

P.S.: Just gave it a try. Removed CommandClass from the surface command as well and your script brought all hands back to their watch stations

Heretic 03-23-10 02:48 PM

Good stuff to know. I appreciate you looking into it.

blechritter 03-24-10 02:02 AM

Triggering of AI scripts (more general)

My current conclusion to our common problem with crash dive and related commands is, that the command set_depth is called implicitly. (It is mentioned in the devs docs somewhere), thereby overwriting previous commands. So no trigger.

My attempt to simply remove CommandClass from these depth changing commands sadly helps only in a non modding friendly way.

If we could learn by which command set_depth was called, then by merging all related strategies into set_depth.aix would make it mod friendlier.

Has anyone any idea if a dev could be contacted to provide for such a global variable, which hopefully exists?

Still eager to see men running forwards in case of a crash dive

Coldcall 03-24-10 11:12 AM

just tested the new version of this mod and it looks really great. I like how all the watch crew now turn as they scan the horizon with their binocs.

My only one complaint is that the front left watchman doesnt need to turn all the way around to look 180 behind him/stern, as the back left watchman is also covering the rear.

Of course, Im just nit-picking because this watch crew is a 100% improvement on vanilla. Thanks very much for your great work Heretic.

ACSoft 03-25-10 12:31 AM

Heretic, first, congrat's for this great mod !!!

I use a modified version of Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands mod (adapted to swiss-QWERTZ keyboard). With this mod, we have most of SHIII commands back, which mean for example, speaking of the crash dive, command "C" instead of "shift-V".

This my crash dive command:

[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x43,C,"C"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
CommandClass=Depth
Sound_0=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_CHIEF_33
Sound_1=ELO_Helm,MC_QRF_WATCH_29

Generally speaking, I wonder if using a different set of commands like with this Church's mod, can cause problem(s) with your mod ?

Can-you also describe what overall behaviors we are supposed to see, with a crash dive, in comparison with a normal dive ? I mean, without to know this, it is difficult to determin if all is working properly.

In my case, I don't see significant differences between a normal dive and a crash dive, except that during a crash dive, most of the time, men don't have enough time to "go down". So, some of them are still on the deck, while the coning tower is already submerged.

Are we supposed to hear shouting "Alaaaarm tauchen" in crash dive, like it happen without your mod ?

EDIT: I was testing from outside view. Now that I tested also from inside the sub, I hear the "Alaaaarm tauchen" and therefore I can know if your sequence is triggered or not.

Thanks in forward for your help.

ACS

Gandalfi2005 03-25-10 03:28 AM

Great Mod. Im always using it and looking forward for your next releases. :salute:

ACSoft 03-25-10 10:26 AM

Hi Heretic,

Looking at your mod files, I think I found perhap some missing statements "Wp:ScriptCompleted()"

In:
crash_dive.aix - > strategy crashd_VALVE(wp)
dive.aix - > strategy dive_CHIEF(wp)
periscope_depth - > strategy pscope_VALVE(wp)
snorkel_depth - > strategy snorkd_VALVE(wp)

Maybe it is not important or even voluntary, I don't know (I am totally newbie with SH scripting !!!). By curiosity, I just tested a corrected version of the mod and all seem to work well too with these statements added. Anyway, just in case they were really missing, you will know !!!

ACS

PS: I was looking there, to see if there is a way to tune the crash dive duration, so that all 4 guys have the time to go down. Do-you know if this timing can be tuned in some way ?

Heretic 03-25-10 11:02 AM

I'll look into the missing statements. They should be added, but I've tried to get the stock Crash_dive scipt trigger with no result. So I don't think that's an issue for triggering.

The reason the guys don't go down on crash dive is the crash dive script doesn't get called by the crash dive command, VAR_DIVE_ORDER doesn't get set, so they go under the old way - by the IsSubmerged trigger.

Here's the squence that's supposed to happen:

The command is given and one of the sounds listed in Commands.cfg get's played

Then the command script gets called and the various crewmen perform the strategies specified in crew_commands.txt.
The chief calls out his engine, ballast tank and hydroplane orders. - Yells in crash dive
The Ballast tank guy turns his valves
The Helman is used only to play the dive alarm bell
The XO is used to play the "ALARM" call, then some 'move it!' commmands
The HA, HF, and WO come rushing down the ladder because VAR_DIVE_ORDER = 2. - Stumble at bottom in crash dive

*edit* A sure indicator the crash dive script is being called is the guy falling down at the base of the ladder.

Then set_depth gets called and plays it's hydroplane orders - usually these are skipped because the previous orders sounds are still playing.

Since Crash_dive doesn't get called, normally you'll only hear the inital sounds triggered from Commands.cfg and then the hydoplane orders in set_depth.

My override changes it so that the set_depth command uses the Crash_dive scripts to get the crew down and the vocalizations played. That's why when the override is installed, you'll see the full crash dive sequence. They're being triggered by set_depth.

I'd like to disable the sounds tirggered from command.cfg so I can controll them. I've done that with the dive commands.

ACSoft 03-25-10 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1333462)
I'll look into the missing statements. They should be added, but I've tried to get the stock Crash_dive scipt trigger with no result. So I don't think that's an issue for triggering.

The reason the guys don't go down on crash dive is the crash dive script doesn't get called by the crash dive command, VAR_DIVE_ORDER doesn't get set, so they go under the old way - by the IsSubmerged trigger.

Here's the squence that's supposed to happen:

The command is given and one of the sounds listed in Commands.cfg get's played

Then the command script is gets called and the various crewmen perform the strategies specified in crew_commands.txt.
The chief calls out his engine, ballast tank and hydroplane orders. - Yells in crash dive
The Ballast tank guy turns his valves
The Helman is used only to play the dive alarm bell
The XO is used to play the "ALARM" call, then some 'move it!' commmands
The HA, HF, and WO come rushing down the ladder because VAR_DIVE_ORDER = 2. - stumblea at bottom in crash dive

*edit* A sure indicator the crash dive script is being called is the guy falling down at the baase of the ladder.

Then set_depth gets called and plays it's hydroplane orders - usually these are skipped because the previous orders sounds are still playing.

Since Crash_dive doesn't get called, normally you'll only hear the inital sounds triggered from Commands.cfg and then the hydoplane orders in set_depth.

My override changes it so that the set_depth command uses the Crash_dive scripts to get the crew down and the vocalizations played.

I'd like to disable the sounds tirggered from command.cfg so I can controll them. I've done that with the dive commands.

Thanks, Heretic, for all these precious informations ! They removed some doubts I had about my numerous tests. For your informations, this is the behaviors I have:

First, without the optional crash_dive workaround, I NEVER get your crash dive script, but with it, I ALWAYS get it, not only with a direct mouse click on the deep-meter, BUT ALSO with the crash dive command, which is in my case, the old style "C" key (Key0=0x43,C,"C").

The only problem I have, is that for crash dives, most of the time, ONE OR TWO guys don't have enough time to go down, before the coning tower get submerged and for sure, I am speaking of YOUR script, not the IsSubmerged trigger. The behavior with IsSubmerged trigger, is clearly different (all guys remain on the deck until the submarine is submerged).

This is why I was wondering if the crash dive time (which seem far to short to me in any cases) can be made longer. This would be just perfect: enough time for the guys to go down, plus a more realistic dive time.

Do-you think this can be tweaked ?

ACS

Heretic 03-25-10 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACSoft (Post 1333580)
First, without the optional crash_dive workaround, I NEVER get your crash dive script, but with it, I ALWAYS get it, not only with a direct mouse click on the deep-meter, BUT ALSO with the crash dive command, which is in my case, the old style "C" key (Key0=0x43,C,"C").

The only problem I have, is that for crash dives, most of the time, ONE OR TWO guys don't have enough time to go down, before the coning tower get submerged and for sure, I am speaking of YOUR script, not the IsSubmerged trigger. The behavior with IsSubmerged trigger, is clearly different (all guys remain on the deck until the submarine is submerged).

This is why I was wondering if the crash dive time (which seem far to short to me in any cases) can be made longer. This would be just perfect: enough time for the guys to go down, plus a more realistic dive time
Do-you think this can be tweaked ?

ACS

That's exactly what the override is supposed to do. The set_depth command is triggered immediately after crash dive. So when you hit crash dive by mouse click or hotkey, you'll see my crash_dive script being performed by the set_depth command.

As far as coming down faster, I think they need to finish the animation they're on first before they can move on to the next command. I do think it's possible the boat is submerging faster than historical, but that's a job for another mod.

It's definitely something I can continue tweaking

ACSoft 03-25-10 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1333619)
That's exactly what the override is supposed to do. The set_depth command is triggered immediately after crash dive. So when you hit crash dive by mouse click or hotkey, you'll see my crash_dive script being performed by the set_depth command.

So great, all is working properly by me too !

Quote:

As far as coming down faster, I think they need to finish the animation they're on first before they can move on to the next command.

Yes, I confirm this. The whole time required for your script to fully accomplish vary, as we can see "guys behaviors timings" differences.

Quote:

I do think it's possible the boat is submerging faster than historical, but that's a job for another mod.

It's definitely something I can continue tweaking

Hope you will be more lucky than me, because I searched quite long since now, to found something which could inspire me about tweaking the diving timing, but I found nothing until now !!!

ACS

Heretic 03-25-10 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACSoft (Post 1333660)
Hope you will be more lucky than me, because I searched quite long since now, to found something which could inspire me about tweaking the diving timing, but I found nothing until now !!!

ACS

Oh, I didn't mean tweaking the dive time. I meant I can try getting the crew down faster.

Will-Rommel 03-25-10 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1333766)
Oh, I didn't mean tweaking the dive time. I meant I can try getting the crew down faster.

Yep, definitely the way to go ! :up:

ACSoft 03-25-10 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic (Post 1333766)

I timed the crash dive and finally, it is close from the reality (~30 sec), a bit shorter but not much. So, right, better to tweak the crew going down faster, I agree too.

ACS

Heretic 03-25-10 03:22 PM

I'm considering not making the crash dive override optional in the next version, just including it as part of the mod like I originally intended. I think it'd cause less confusion.