SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   US Politics Thread 2016-2020 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228628)

Catfish 01-10-17 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2457197)
Nothing hip about it and not very accurate. Hating foreigners is a time honored tradition that precedes the nazis by a few millennia and it's the leftists who tend to accuse everyone they don't like of being nazis not the right.

I could say touché and let it stand, but i do not entirely agree.
You are right, xenophobia precedes our recent accomplishments (ahem) for a long time. And "leftists" cry out wolf (or nazi) a bit too often, even for my taste.

But our (not limited to the US) problem is that there is a new trend of publicly criticizing democracy, diplomacy, international treaties and communities, making fun of disabled persons, foreigners, and of 'political correctness' (in lacking a better word for a level-headed, neutral point of view), because the social standard of getting along together is now being regarded as "weak" and "for pussies".

And it is not Trump alone in what Mrs. Streep recently mentioned (well she's an actress of course :03:) but it is also Romania, Poland, Hungary, Turkey, Austria, Germany and England in which the populistic and despising attitude towards international community, science and those foreigners is celebrating a new peak.

As long as politicians or the media have a level-headed attitude and are not easily alienated by a few muddleheads, the people usually behave like that themselves. But when certain views are suddenly spread publicly and e.g. Facebook becomes the soapbox, all those usually silent folks seem to suddenly come out of their hiding. From Farage to Erdoghan, the being thought long-dead chauvinism raises its ugly head once more.

If some bigmouth becomes the paragon of modern "freedom of expression", which is understood to be the same as "telling lies without fearing consequences", or publicly denigrating certain ethnic groups and foreigners, a lot of people will follow this shining example, for a good part because it appeals to their base motives and feeling encouraged to give in to them.
All education will be forgotten when being able to be "politically incorrect", which is nothing else than good old nationalism.

Mr Quatro 01-10-17 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2457119)
I do hope they have fire extinguishers at the Inauguration at the ready in the event Trump's hand should burst into flames when he puts it on the Bible... :haha:
<O>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2457127)
[The_number_of_the_beast_is_666_Philadelphia%2C_Ros enbach_Museum_and_Library.jpg[/IMG]:shucks:[/COLOR]

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2457140)
It could explain whats hiding beneath that funny haircut and, maybe his tiny hooves...er, ah...hands...
<O>

Give the man a break ... all your doing is blessing him

St Matthew 5:11
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Oberon 01-10-17 12:42 PM

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/as...-large-169.jpg

"The bible, completely overrated, I prefer sons of God that don't get crucified, that Jesus guy, low power...sad. Now that Lucifer, dangerous guy, wants to rule the Kingdom of Heaven, ain't gonna happen. I think we could sit down over a hamburger, you know...but Satan, he has great control over Hell, whether you like him or don't like him, he's doing a great job in building the image of Hell, he has big plans and I can't believe God is letting him get away with it. I have people, that have been studying the Old Testament and they cannot believe what they're finding. I would like to have God show his ten commandments, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can because if he can't, if he never spoke to Moses on the mountain, which is a real possibility, then he has pulled one of the biggest cons in the history of religion."

Rockstar 01-10-17 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikalugin (Post 2457196)
Well I guess the discussion has sort of reduced itself, so it is time for memes:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1yglUHXAAArN6X.jpg

:har::har::har:

AVGWarhawk 01-10-17 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2457119)
I do hope they have fire extinguishers at the Inauguration at the ready in the event Trump's hand should burst into flames when he puts it on the Bible... :haha:

<O>

The Good Book could have burst into flames under the many hands that came before Trump. Trump is just a special kind of odd ball.

Sailor Steve 01-10-17 03:03 PM

A lot of people don't know that there is nothing in the Constitution that mentions placing a hand on a Bible or any other book, and the phrase "...so help me God." is likewise not mentioned anywhere as part of the process.

Also, there is nothing in the Constitution that specifies who is to administer the oath, and several presidents have been sworn in by other than the Supreme Court's Chief Justice. Calvin Coolidge was sworn in by his own father, a notary public.

August 01-10-17 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk (Post 2457262)
The Good Book could have burst into flames under the many hands that came before Trump. Trump is just a special kind of odd ball.

Bill Clinton just made it a little sticky... :)

Jimbuna 01-10-17 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2457291)

:o

:hmmm:

:haha:

Bilge_Rat 01-10-17 03:58 PM

Interesting, a majority of americans in a poll believe american intelligence agencies have a political agenda:

Quote:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 47% of Likely U.S. Voters believe America’s intelligence agencies have their own political agenda. Thirty-nine percent (39%) disagree and think they generally perform impartially. Fifteen percent (15%) are undecided.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._play_politics

shocking! :haha:

August 01-10-17 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 2457297)
Interesting, a majority of americans in a poll believe american intelligence agencies have a political agenda:

The Dems used to be the biggest critics of the CIA. Now they've become it's biggest defenders but that won't last. I think just as soon as they can't make any more political mileage they'll go back to hating them.

Mr Quatro 01-10-17 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat (Post 2457297)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._play_politics

shocking! :haha:

You have to think something :D

even commies have to think something, but the real trick is to know how get around the point of the subject that your captain or immediate superior is trying to get you to answer and still satisfy the questioner.

A real art is to know what they want you to think and to think that in order to keep or up grade your pay grade level.

It's called being two faced :yep:

AVGWarhawk 01-10-17 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 2457291)

As well as a dress and more then likely the carpet, resolute desk, the Lincoln bedroom(Markie Post) and I'm sure other noted pieces of historic White House furniture.

vienna 01-10-17 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2457245)

"The bible, completely overrated, I prefer sons of God that don't get crucified, that Jesus guy, low power...sad. Now that Lucifer, dangerous guy, wants to rule the Kingdom of Heaven, ain't gonna happen. I think we could sit down over a hamburger, you know...but Satan, he has great control over Hell, whether you like him or don't like him, he's doing a great job in building the image of Hell, he has big plans and I can't believe God is letting him get away with it. I have people, that have been studying the Old Testament and they cannot believe what they're finding. I would like to have God show his ten commandments, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can because if he can't, if he never spoke to Moses on the mountain, which is a real possibility, then he has pulled one of the biggest cons in the history of religion."

So, I see you finally decided to take the job of Trump's main speechwriter... :haha:

<O>

mapuc 01-10-17 05:56 PM

According to some USA-expert on American politics Obama scored high points on domestic politics while he scored low on foreign policy

Were they correct, those expert ? Do you American think Obama did a great job as a President when it comes to domestic politics and do you think he did a bad job regarding foreign policy ?

Markus

August 01-10-17 09:28 PM

More people out of work or underemployed, medical costs, insurance rates and student loan debt skyrocketing, increased racial tensions, our government woefully unable to safeguard it's citizens personal data. I just don't see how that earns a high score.

Oberon 01-10-17 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 2457326)
So, I see you finally decided to take the job of Trump's main speechwriter... :haha:

<O>

Well, I didn't want to, but then my local Imam said I should so, by Allahs will I shall.

Anyway...I wonder if it will....rain...on the 20th... :03::03::03::03: :har::har::har::har:

yubba 01-11-17 08:57 AM

Well it seems the Democrats are more mad and freaked out,, than when Lincoln freed the slaves,, maybe more so, than King what's his face of England was when his troops had to retreat from America twice,,, ...Less than 10 days,do make us proud,,I could use a good laugh..

Oberon 01-11-17 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yubba (Post 2457416)
Well it seems the Democrats are more mad and freaked out,, than when Lincoln freed the slaves,, maybe more so, than King what's his face of England was when his troops had to retreat from America twice,,, ...Less than 10 days,do make us proud,,I could use a good laugh..

Are you taking the piss? :haha:

Onkel Neal 01-11-17 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 2457245)

:haha::haha::haha:

In the BOS17 hopper already :up:

ikalugin 01-11-17 09:49 AM

-getting his tinfoil hat on-

Did anyone notice DARPA work on bioweps?