SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 Newbie Guide, FAQs, Tactics & Tips, Links, & other helpful stuff (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96026)

airwolf48453 03-24-07 12:20 PM

No Longer can I reinstall SH3

I had a problem and had to reinstall SH3 I deleted the program and all folders that I made that was associated with the game. But when I install the SH3 disc and install it does it but when I go to play it comes up saying the Campaign RND is invaild? I am sure I have removed all folders and addon's. Is there something that I can run that would remove everything that goes to SH3 or is my stock disc junk now?:roll:

Telgriff 03-26-07 10:56 PM

Another Newbie

Have been denied my SH III for far too long while I build my new Pc. Thanks for the helpful info, lots of stuff I didnt realise existed that will help me when I get back up and running on the new hardware!

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr 04-27-07 04:59 AM

this could be of use for newbie's
http://www.fileplanet.com/165925/160...imate-Unlocker

Chisum 05-01-07 11:32 PM

Hello all,

I don't find an other thread to post this message, sorry if it's not the right place.

I discovered SH3 since a few week ago and GWX a few days later.
It's absolutly wonderfull and I am really enjoyed to see all accomplished work by the GWX team !
And it is for that that I want to thank you all for the enormous work which you made. The result is very beautyfull and the game is made even more pleasant to play.

Very big thanks to all.

Regards.
;)

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr 05-02-07 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisum
Hello all,

I don't find an other thread to post this message, sorry if it's not the right place.

I discovered SH3 since a few week ago and GWX a few days later.
It's absolutly wonderfull and I am really enjoyed to see all accomplished work by the GWX team !
And it is for that that I want to thank you all for the enormous work which you made. The result is very beautyfull and the game is made even more pleasant to play.

Very big thanks to all.

Regards.
;)

its a cool mod and quite realistic to :rock:

Umfuld 05-02-07 09:26 PM

Quote:

all accomplished work by the GWX team !

I second that. But really I think that goes to ALL the modders at SUBSIM. Whether working together or not, they all contribute to making this game rock. :rock:

To an extent that simply amazes me.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr 05-10-07 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umfuld
Quote:

all accomplished work by the GWX team !

I second that. But really I think that goes to ALL the modders at SUBSIM. Whether working together or not, they all contribute to making this game rock. :rock:

To an extent that simply amazes me.

so tru :yep: :rock:

Devilray 05-11-07 10:17 PM

Binoculars MIA

Recently installed SH3. I've noticed when on the bridge the watch crew have their hands cupped over their eyes but they (all of them) aren't holding any binoculars. Is this a bug? Is it fixed by installing one or more of the available patches?

melnibonian 05-12-07 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilray
Recently installed SH3. I've noticed when on the bridge the watch crew have their hands cupped over their eyes but they (all of them) aren't holding any binoculars. Is this a bug? Is it fixed by installing one or more of the available patches?

This is a stock bug if I remember correctly. does it happen all the times? If it does I would suggest a re-install, if not then you can still play the game without too much trouble. Unfortunatelly SH3 is full of these bugs, and the only way around them is to know them and try to avoid them.

Devilray 05-12-07 07:28 AM

The missing binoculars bug has occurred every time the bridge station is selected during the five Naval Academy missions and the Happy Times single mission. I'll try the reinstall.

Thanks

Puster Bill 06-01-07 10:51 AM

Quote:

The missing binoculars bug has occurred every time the bridge station is selected during the five Naval Academy missions and the Happy Times single mission. I'll try the reinstall.

Thanks

I don't think that will help. I have the same bug, and I think it is related to the video card you are using. Also, see if the crew uniforms are in strange psychedelic colors.

It doesn't affect gameplay. I've just gotten used to it (through 2 stock SHIII installs, patched to 1.4b, and GWX).

Devilray 06-04-07 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puster Bill
Quote:

Thanks

I don't think that will help. I have the same bug, and I think it is related to the video card you are using. Also, see if the crew uniforms are in strange psychedelic colors.

It doesn't affect gameplay. I've just gotten used to it (through 2 stock SHIII installs, patched to 1.4b, and GWX).

I too have a crew in psychedelic colors. I thought maybe they were just a green crew who hadn't gotten their sea legs yet. Must be the video card.

Kaleun Klink 06-06-07 03:44 PM

Quote:

I too have a crew in psychedelic colors. I thought maybe they were just a green crew who hadn't gotten their sea legs yet. Must be the video card.

I can confirm that tie-dyed uniforms (and psychedelic colors on the periscope when it breaks the surface) is a video card issue.

For immersion's sake (because I haven't gotten around to installing a new video card yet), I chalk it up to funny mushrooms in the sub's provisions... :doh:

danurve 06-12-07 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Kyster
Don't know who's in charge, so I'll post here...

When opening the Silent Hunter III Community Manual I get "tons" of errors like

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /var/www/html/shiii/includes/SkinTemplate.php on line 136

But nothing wrong with content! Very nice work! :up:

Replying to an older post, but as noted on page 1 of this thread the Community Manual is back on-line; SilentHunterIII Community Manual.
She needs a few updates as our game keeps rolling, some of the work has begun.

DirtyACE 07-24-07 11:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this game. I don't have any experience with SH as this is the first sub game I have ever played. Just got it a few days ago and am still only on the Naval Academy part. I'm currently trying to pass the Torpedo training and exam. This forum and especially this thread have been extremely helpful and I thank all the great people that are a part of this community. Now I have some questions:

1. I'm eager to try the GWX mod but am confused. I went to the link underneath the sig of one of the members to download the mod but found a list of different files with GWX in their name fields. Are all these for the mod, like different parts or do I just need to download one of them?

2. This is related to GWX as well. I already created a profile for myself within the game but haven't started an actual career yet, still in Navy Academy. After I have installed GWX, will I be able to continue with my current profile with the new changes and additions of the mod or will I have to make a new one?

3. I have already downloaded the SH3Comdr27 mod and the Sh3Gen_v082 mod. Are these the most current versions? Also, should these two be installed after GWX or before? I know they're supposed to be stand-alone mods but I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

4. Here's the current list of essential mods that are recommended:
- GWX
- SH3Comdr2
- Sh3Gen_v082

Do I have all of them covered or are there other mods that you would recommend for a newbie?

robj250 07-25-07 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyACE
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this game. I don't have any experience with SH as this is the first sub game I have ever played. Just got it a few days ago and am still only on the Naval Academy part. I'm currently trying to pass the Torpedo training and exam. This forum and especially this thread have been extremely helpful and I thank all the great people that are a part of this community. Now I have some questions:

1. I'm eager to try the GWX mod but am confused. I went to the link underneath the sig of one of the members to download the mod but found a list of different files with GWX in their name fields. Are all these for the mod, like different parts or do I just need to download one of them?

2. This is related to GWX as well. I already created a profile for myself within the game but haven't started an actual career yet, still in Navy Academy. After I have installed GWX, will I be able to continue with my current profile with the new changes and additions of the mod or will I have to make a new one?

3. I have already downloaded the SH3Comdr27 mod and the Sh3Gen_v082 mod. Are these the most current versions? Also, should these two be installed after GWX or before? I know they're supposed to be stand-alone mods but I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

4. Here's the current list of essential mods that are recommended:
- GWX
- SH3Comdr2
- Sh3Gen_v082

Do I have all of them covered or are there other mods that you would recommend for a newbie?

Welcome Dirty Ace.

Regarding question 1. There are five file with the GWX name. You have to download them into a separate folder. Now wait and read the rest first before installing it.

You mention that you have just started in Silent Hunter 3 and are presently going through the training. I fully support your finishing the Acadamey training and then play a few game to get the feel of things before installing GWX. Your present profile will be okay and can be used with GWX.

If you intend to install GWX after you finish your naval academy, DO NOT add any mods except JSGME.

GWX MUST be installed in a CLEAN SH3, in other words, not mods installed installed except for JSGME.

The reason I suggest that you get the feel for the game using just SH3, is that you fill find a total difference in GWX, much harder, but lots of fun.

Yes you may use your current career; BUT, what you must do first, before installing GWX, is to rename the folder in My Documents that is called Silent Hunter. The reason you must do this is, if you wish to use your current career, you must rename the file, I suggest Silent Hunter_org because when you install GWX, it will create the folder Silent Hunter in MY Documents. Now simply copy what is in the fold you renamed, and open the folder that GWX made, and paste. The reason I suggest this, is because you will have a copy of your original start.

Now I'm not absolutely sure about the new folder, perhaps K.L. or Mel will respond and clarify this.

With respect to question 3. The two files you mentioned can be installed before you install GWX, but I'm not sure of the version numbers, so do not use them until you have tried a few games using the plain Silent Hunter 3. BTW, did you upgrade SH3 with the 1.4 upgrade? You must have that installed before you can go any further.

Now I'm sure other will follow with additional instructions, as I'm quite old and have a "feeble" mind, can't remember things correctly about the initial install, because it was so long ago.

You might want to wait for GWX 1.4, but I'm not sure of the release date.

Welcome aboard and HAPPY HUNTING!

Rob

danlisa 07-25-07 08:21 AM

@ Dirtyace

Welcome.:up:

Install instructions (which may help)

1. Uninstall SH3 via Windows' "Add/Remove programs"
2. Open Windows Explorer and:
- *delete* the folder where you had installed SH3
- *delete* the \My Documents\SH3 folder
3. Reinstall SH3
4. If your SH3 did not come with patch v1.4b already included, install patch v1.4b. Ensure you install the patch that corresponds to your copy of SH3 (Download/DVD/EMEA/US)
5. OPTIONAL: Copy and paste this "clean" install as a backup to avoid the need to follow steps 1-3 if your game becomes corrupt in future
6. Download into the SAME folder GWX.exe and the five .bin files. While there grab the v1.03 patch
7. Run GWX.exe and follow the installation prompts
8. Run GWX103.exe and follow the installation prompts
9. SH3 COMMANDER USERS: Download the GWX 1.02+ Cfg files for SH3 Commander and unzip the contents DIRECTLY into your SH3 Commander\Cfg folder.

GWX files are available from my sig.:up:

Answers =

1)For GWX 1.0 you need the GWX.exe & GWX 1 to 5 .bin files.
2)It's best to start fresh, we can never promise that previous profiles will continue to work.
3)Ok, get GWX working correctly first, then add additional mods/apps. SH3Cmdr will require the additional cfg files to make it compatible with GWX. SH3 Gen is a great little app and will work with no problems after GWX is up & running.

Personally, for a n00b to GWX, I would have said, just stick to GWX for the time being. Although SH3Cmdr & SH3Gen are easy to use, you are muddying the waters alittle for the first run.

Enjoy & come back if you have further questions.:up:

EDIT - JSGME is included when you install GWX, just look for it in the program folder, double click on the JSGME.exe to open the GUI Window and have a look at the included additional mods for GWX.

BTW, have you read the GWX manual? Very good and most questions are answered in there.

robj250 07-25-07 08:43 AM

Thanks danlisa

You just made me look like a TOTAL FOOL and the fact that I didn't know anything! Thanks very much.

I still suggest that he gets his feet wet using the vanilla SH3 upgraded with 1.4.

I never had ANY problems using my career started in SH3 with GWX.

I won't bother trying to help anyone anymore. I'll let you Experts do all the answering.

But I agree with danlisa in that you should start a NEW career when you install GWX.

Rob

danlisa 07-25-07 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj250
Thanks danlisa

You just made me look like a TOTAL FOOL and the fact that I didn't know anything! Thanks very much.

I still suggest that he gets his feet wet using the vanilla SH3 upgraded with 1.4.

I won't bother trying to help anyone anymore. I'll let you Experts do all the answering.

Rob

Nice attitude, Rob.:nope:

I agree, start with standard SH3, otherwise, you won't know what GWX has done.

Maybe I should stop trying to help people.

robj250 07-25-07 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:

Originally Posted by robj250
Thanks danlisa

Rob

Nice attitude, Rob.:nope:

I agree, start with standard SH3, otherwise, you won't know what GWX has done.

Maybe I should stop trying to help people.

Sorry danlisa, but I was not totally wrong and I was kinda put out that I was not given some credit for what I did say and the fact that he should get used to SH3 before installing GWX. You are correct in that GWX has JSGME with it, I just totally forgot.

DirtyACE, danlisa is correct and I was not absolutely correct in my advice. Please forgive my silly mistake.

@danlisa
You know what you are doing and you are younger that me and do not have my problems, so KEEP helping people, please.

Rob