SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Windows 10: What You Need to Know (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218037)

ReallyDedPoet 08-08-15 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 2334922)
Thanks, that seemed to work as far as getting the command line to open as Admin.

It was an older link, I figured it was worth a shot :yep:

Wolferz 08-09-15 08:25 AM

This is what happens...

When you launch a new operating system without enough Caveat Porceas to thoroughly vet all the bugs.
That or maybe I need to look at the big picture...
Give it away at the release and you get loads of willing Guinea Pigs. :haha:

I'm still coming to grips with it but, this new browser dragging its backside like a dog with no hind legs is, frankly, pissing me off!

Buddahaid 08-09-15 10:49 AM

Edge is not slow on my system. It works as fast as Chrome does.

Aktungbby 08-09-15 11:59 AM

:hmmm: :timeout: :shifty: not hearing overwhelming happiness here...reckon I'll hold off a tad on the "it aint' broke why fix it" principle till the longer heads of :subsim: have sorted out any bugs.

Onkel Neal 08-09-15 12:26 PM

Still no luck. I'm googling all kinds of processes to make this work, but it's not really worth it to me. The only reason I am interested in Win 10 is because the version of Win 7 that came with this Dell laptop is so old and slow, after years of use.

XabbaRus 08-09-15 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2335119)
:hmmm: :timeout: :shifty: not hearing overwhelming happiness here...reckon I'll hold off a tad on the "it aint' broke why fix it" principle till the longer heads of :subsim: have sorted out any bugs.

I think it is rather more a case that those who are having issues short louder and more frequently than those who don't. I don't use edge as I just don't like it. Win 10 is as fast if not faster than 8.1, I use Firefox and it is just as quick. I'm curious to the spec of machines of those finding it slow. Apart from having one game not work, until I found I could redeem my retail version for a steam version and it works out has been fine. Definitely prefer the interface over the metro style that works great for tablets and phones not for pc.

Wolferz 08-10-15 09:34 AM

Depends on your rig I guess...

Using Edge, for me, has been an exercise in frustration.

Web sites taking longer to translate and scrolling a page is worse than a slide show, sometimes taking thirty seconds or longer to react to one click of the scroll wheel or the directional keys on the keyboard. :down:

It did improve a little after I did some drilling and found about a dozen processes running in the background, which I shut down. but it still drags.

New and improved? Well, new maybe. I'm seriously thinking of wiping the drive and putting 8.1 and IE back.:hmmm:

AVGWarhawk 08-10-15 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolferz (Post 2335314)

Web sites taking longer to translate and scrolling a page is worse than a slide show, sometimes taking thirty seconds or longer to react to one click of the scroll wheel or the directional keys on the keyboard. :down:

It did improve a little after I did some drilling and found about a dozen processes running in the background, which I shut down. but it still drags.

New and improved? Well, new maybe. I'm seriously thinking of wiping the drive and putting 8.1 and IE back.:hmmm:

Agreed. Edge needs some work. I experience the same. I will stick with it. I have wanted to stick with one OS and associated programs. I tire of having to know all the tips and tricks for Chrome, Firefox and other browsers.

AVGWarhawk 08-10-15 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolferz (Post 2335314)

Try this:

Background scrolling
Ever notice how when you hover your mouse cursor over a window and try and scroll, you still can’t, because the window wasn’t active? Turn this feature on in Settings | Devices | Mouse and Touchpad and you’ll be able to do just that.

STEED 08-11-15 06:25 AM

It's a shame Microsoft can't give it to you selecting what you want, I don't want edge and cortana. Been reading people's comments here and there and it looks like the not happy crowd are ahead but this may change in six months time, till then it's a no no for me.

Sailor Steve 08-11-15 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEED (Post 2335552)
It's a shame Microsoft can't give it to you selecting what you want, I don't want edge and cortana. Been reading people's comments here and there and it looks like the not happy crowd are ahead but this may change in six months time, till then it's a no no for me.

They do offer you the selection. I've already switched back to IE and turned Cortana off. They make both processes very easy. They're there if you want them and gone if you don't. :sunny:

Kip336 08-11-15 07:27 AM

I came across this...Infographic (For lack of a better word) regarding some privacy issues in Windows 10

Might be of interest;

Windows 10 Botnet

(I'll not post it as an image, it's huge.)

STEED 08-11-15 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2335569)
They do offer you the selection. I've already switched back to IE and turned Cortana off. They make both processes very easy. They're there if you want them and gone if you don't. :sunny:

Thanks Steve. :up:

If I go for it I will not have to worry about them anymore.

STEED 08-11-15 07:37 AM

BTW: I still use Microsoft Office 2003 because I like it and not keen on the latter versions. Anyway I hear there has been some issues with M.O. 2007 just wondering will my old 2003 be alright?

andy_311 08-12-15 03:40 AM

As I found out yesterday there are serious issues with Windows Defender and windows Firewall If you have a 3rd party anti-virus program and firewall they should be disabled however it seems there program re-sets itself from time to time and annoying popups appear on your screen.I don't know if this happens on anyone elses but it happening on my pc and my wife's laptop. Microsoft tried yesterday to fix the issue but failed they ran diagnostic tests virus tests to no avail now I got to wait until Friday when an appointment was made for a level 2 technician to call me and try and resolve the issue.