SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [REL] OhioSSBN mod for Silent Hunter IV (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148682)

tomagabriel 04-01-09 02:17 AM

Hi!

For those of you not having the U-Boot missions, (SHIV v. 1.4 or less) please check the updated first post in this thread. In the downloads section you will find links for a modified version beta 0.2 that should work in SHIV v. 1.0 - 1.4. I did not test it on this version of SHIV but it should work. Please confirm that it does.

Have fun!

thyro 04-01-09 07:37 PM

Ohio feature file updated here... LINK

I've removed the faulty cfg pointing at wrong interior (not sure why I've added it in 1st place. Since all the setings are identical to Tomagabriel's release, with exception of the interior).

I've retested in a fresh new SH4 and it works with the default interior.

I'll be releasing soon a new FX bundle, once some issues with bubbles are sorted. The new version not only have the bubbles working, but also have the hatch texture fixed (Thanks to tomagabriel :D ), a tweak to tower splash, re-added the TBU but hidden from the view, and few other things.

Thanks

Kaye T. Bai 04-02-09 04:24 PM

Thanks, thyro.

The fix works fine in the SH4 expansion pack without any problems.

thyro 04-04-09 04:20 AM

New FX files released (20090404) ... LINK

The new compartments would be released in the next couple days but seperated from the FX bundle. The reason is simple... the current saved games won't be compatible with changes on the sub's compartments so would be an optional addon.

Cheers

http://www.ribeiros.co.uk/img/ohio8.jpg

el cheguevara 04-04-09 05:50 AM

Really good job on this guys, just finished watching a military channel special on the Virginia class sub and the Ohio gets honorable mention in it for the first real kick-butt sub lol. Can't wait till this is finished so maybe you can start on another modern sub...maybe. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Kaye T. Bai 04-04-09 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1077604)
The new compartments would be released in the next couple days but seperated from the FX bundle. The reason is simple... the current saved games won't be compatible with changes on the sub's compartments so would be an optional addon.

Can't wait for the new compartments! :)

Roger_Becker 04-04-09 10:53 PM

Silent Hunter 4 USS Skipjack SSN 585

Here is the first video of the USS Skipjack Class

Thanks to the Constructor Tomagabiel :salute::yeah::yeah:

Video Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_g5eOEv4B0

Gruß Roger Becker (Ryan)

thyro 04-05-09 09:47 AM

errr I wasn't referring to 3D compartments at this estage (but to the crew/repair pages)

3D compartments it would take some time to get one that looks similar to the following picture.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/RR01662...C26ADF8664B%7D

But there are initial steps on that way (nothing nice to be seen nor similar to above yet)...So nothing like that yet but soon once become less ugly... I'll post a couple previews ;)

ETR3(SS) 04-07-09 08:38 PM

Having served on an Ohio, recently too I might add, let me know if you have any questions. I've made it to page 4 of the thread already and will probably read the rest tomorrow. I've noticed a few things that I might be able to help you with already. I'm gonna download it and check it out tonight and hopefully have some feedback by tomorrow.

Kaye T. Bai 04-07-09 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 1079732)
Having served on an Ohio, recently too I might add, let me know if you have any questions. I've made it to page 4 of the thread already and will probably read the rest tomorrow. I've noticed a few things that I might be able to help you with already. I'm gonna download it and check it out tonight and hopefully have some feedback by tomorrow.

Very nice. Welcome to the mod.

I'm pretty sure that Thyro and Tomagabriel would be glad to use your help.

Just out of curiosity, what's with the one-year absence?

tomagabriel 04-08-09 02:04 AM

Hi ETR3(SS),

We would be very happy to hear comments and suggestions from you. I have to say that the SH4 engine is quite limited in terms of simulating a modern missile submarine, and we are doing this job mostly for fun, trying to achieve as much as possible with the tools at hand. Bottom line is that what can be done will be done in order to create some nice feeling for people sailing with the Ohio (and other boats too).

Regards!

thyro 04-08-09 02:56 AM

I'm with Tomagabriel :up: there are several frustrating limitations but lets get the best out of SH4 on what is possible :)

On my side atm I'm most interested to gather details of its interior. I'm trying to recreate Ohio's 3D compartments based on pictures available on the net... I'm keen to get my hands on more detailed pictures of instruments.

won't be 100% reproduction but trying to approximate the "make believe" factor ;) instead of using the current WWII sub interiors.

ETR3(SS) 04-08-09 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fishlord (Post 1056240)
1. Ohio is silent as it should be, DDs can't detect me running flank under them. But I can't hear them any better than a WWII sub-any chance of extending this to more realistic ranges (I doubt any civilian knows the real range of the ohio though)

I can sorta answer this. Detection range depends upon several factors, the ocean environment, and the contact are the main ones. Its therefore possible to gain a contact at a range of 100 NM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1061411)
@tomagabriel
damage:

It is a bit hard to get some equipment damage, my ohio has been hit by countless depth charges while at periscope depth and no internal/hull damage. Only when I surfaced right in the middle of two BBs got a few blasts on each side and "voila" 14% hull damage and several holes on each side ;)

Cheers

I must have been the unlucky one then, a good string dropped on me at PD did me in. :wah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1065440)
Hi,

Bow foam... this one seem a bit out of context, specially when the sub is idle. Cheers

http://www.ribeiros.co.uk/img/ohio_foam.jpg

In the open ocean at All Stop, you can still get foam like in the pic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fishlord (Post 1065950)
0.2 is great! Blew up a task force with Tomahawks. They're fun to use :D The intro is awesome too.

But I don't seem to be able to get the ADCAPS right. It always just turns to the left 180 degrees and heads back behind me, like the FaT I LuT I think it's called, instead of homing in on anything. Anyone else have that problem?

I can confirm this. My first one I launched did this to me. Might have something to do with range to target. I'll look more into this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1066034)
Thanks for the insight... I had a look at that file but I don't understand it :hmmm:

b) the submarine dives uncontrollably (when stationary undrwater) until it exceeds maximum depth and is destroyed.

I've not seen it happening while stationary. But diving Ohio at high speed, the sub is unable to get into the desired depth and tend to go further down... I guess that is because its displacement.

Same happen if in high speed (full/flank) lets say if the sub is at 350ft then issue a periscope depth... it does surface entirely 1 or 2 times until it stabilizes at periscope depth.

Sounds like you need better planesmen.:O: In reality though driving the ship at high speeds is very difficult and only the more experienced planesmen are allowed to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomagabriel (Post 1066515)
Some answers to some of the questions:

c) I do not know how to change the CO2 problem at the moment (without doing the realism change). The only workaround without decreasing the realism "number" is to probably change the realism weight of this setting to 0 so that fiddling with it does not change realism. Also don't know how to do this at the moment.

I believe I've come across where to edit this before, I'll have to search for it again and get back to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1068335)
more tower details for Ohio... vents on the top and kind of "door" on the plane?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...-8534H-003.jpg

The door is just an access panel to the inside of the sail. The vents you see is called the Exhaust Plenum. That where the diesel exhaust or air from the LP Blower exits the boat from when ventilating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1069710)

@tomagabriel

4 holes on each side not 3 ;) cheers

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/sy...io-dvic114.jpg

This gets tricky. Not all of the boats have those holes there. What those specific ones are are the 5" countermeasures. You see them more on the east coast boats than the west. The west coast ones have been upgraded to the 6" countermeasures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1072967)
On Ohio...

Can anyone pin-point where the vents from ballasts tanks are positioned?

I would like to try adding a spray on them but got no clue, neither pictures that show where they are... Thanks

edit: OK! found one :D

http://www.heiszwolf.com/subs/tech/blowing.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by wh1skea (Post 1073037)
Try this pic:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0873312.jpg

Also, check out the movie Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington. It shows the sub diving in one scene.

Both are good sources to a point. The pic you have there is only of the forward group venting. And as for Crimson Tide, some of the scenes actually show a 688, not a Ohio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyro (Post 1074238)

That first one is a good pic. Believe I might have another for reference as well. And as for the "AA capabilities" I wouldn't rely on it too much. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 (Post 1074273)
very nice pics thyro!

in that second picture down, the bridge pic, the guy on the left is the lookout and the guy on the right is the Junior OOD (from 6 guys to 2 in just 40 years) because the OOd is BELOWDECKS in the Control Room.
EDIT: but then, with a bald spot like that on the JOOD, he might be the OOD, no offense to balding ppl, of course

note the flashlight on the holster on the windscreen, used when one can't see the compass in the dark, and the sticky antenna, used only (and still with a lot of caution) on the surface. The windscreen is hinged and folded up and taken below when its time to dive, and i think its against regulations for the lookout to sit in the bridge, like the photographer is also doing :D

You're right about the guy on the left. The one on the right IS the OOD. In the submarine world we don't have a JOOD, that's a skimmer thing. As for the antenna, if it's what I think it is, it's the antenna for the ships cell phone. The windshield is actually three seperate pieces, a center, left, and right piece. And it's only against regulations if you get caught by someone that cares. :D

ETR3(SS) 04-08-09 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai (Post 1079745)
Very nice. Welcome to the mod.

I'm pretty sure that Thyro and Tomagabriel would be glad to use your help.

Just out of curiosity, what's with the one-year absence?

If you're refering to my join date to my last post date than I can answer that. I started my journey in Washington, drove down to LA and stayed a week, drove to SW Utah to a place called St. George and stayed there about a month. Then I flew back to Washington got in my car and drove back home to Wisconsin. So I've had a busy year and not a lot of time for my computer. But on the plus side, I've now been to 26 of the 50 states including Alaska and Hawaii. :DL

tomagabriel 04-09-09 01:43 AM

ETR3(SS),

Thanks! I'm sure more things will cross my mind to ask you. :D