PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Ahead..SH IV system req

BH
10-23-06, 08:17 PM
I know this is a little early but I need to get a new laptop very soon. I am sure that like other Ubisoft titles they will not officially provide support for laptop version
Nvidia or ATI cards. They said that the graphics will improve over SHIII so obviously what could barely run SHIII will not be able to run SH IV, does any one have any suggestions on a system that is not an overkill $$$$ but suitable enough when it is released it will likely be able to run the game.

Kruger
10-24-06, 02:31 AM
Judging from what I've seen so far, I really don;t think that stock sh4 will demand more than GW modded SH3.

The General
10-24-06, 04:47 AM
Judging from what I've seen so far, I really don;t think that stock sh4 will demand more than GW modded SH3.In my not so humble opinion, SHIV will require at least the following: 3.5 Ghz processor, 512MB of video memory,1 Ghz of RAM. If you've got more than this, it wouldn't hurt.

JU_88
10-24-06, 04:59 AM
I agree with kruger on this one, I dont understand why everyone is going in to a frenzy over their hardware - SHIV will be roughly the same requirements as SH3 (maybe about 10-20% higher at the very most) because:

1) Its the same game engine (tweaked).

2) Yes - the graphics have been improved, but to compensate the devs have optimized the game engine for better performance, so it will be more effecient with your systems rescources than SH3 was. (so they said in an interview on IGN)

So no, i dont think you will need a 3.5 Ghz cpu (Ghz are a thing of the past now anyway) or silly amounts of RAM/VRam, I expect you will want 1GB and a decent DX9 card like a 6600GT or better to have enjoyable experience. Much like SH3.

Its a shame how people are misled by manufacturers in to beliving the the more RAM a Video card has the more powerful it is, this is completley untrue.
For instance: a 7900GT with 256mb will MURDER a 7300GT with 512MB, With graphics cards Ram is secondary, Graphics processor is everything that makes up the card performance.
Another example: I used to have an FX5600 with 256 and I UPGRADED to a 9700pro with 128 and it was a vastly superior card over the FX.
With Graphics cards you get what your pay for - so dont expect a $50 card with 512 to out perform a $100 one with 256.
Dont be fooled.

TDK1044
10-24-06, 07:06 AM
I agree with kruger on this one, I dont understand why everyone is going in to a frenzy over their hardware - SHIV will be roughly the same requirements as SH3 (maybe about 10-20% higher at the very most) because:

1) Its the same game engine (tweaked).

2) Yes - the graphics have been improved, but to compensate the devs have optimized the game engine for better performance, so it will be more effecient with your systems rescources than SH3 was. (so they said in an interview on IGN)

So no, i dont think you will need a 3.5 Ghz cpu (Ghz are a thing of the past now anyway) or silly amounts of RAM/VRam, I expect you will want 1GB and a decent DX9 card like a 6600GT or better to have enjoyable experience. Much like SH3.

I agree with JU_88,

I think there will be a balance of graphical enhancement and improved 'under the hood' performance. I do think you'll need 1 Gig of on board system RAM and a decent mid range video card.

I ran SH3 on a 2.0 Ghz processor, 512 MB of RAM and a mid range video card with no problems, and even though my new system is a lot more powerful, with a decent video card and 1Gig of RAM, anything higher than a 2.0 processor would run SH4 in my opinion.

AVGWarhawk
10-24-06, 01:15 PM
From what I read. If your rig runs SH3 with GW well, SH4 will run just as well if not better.:rock:

atfcharger
10-26-06, 12:05 PM
I've got a P4 3.0E, 1 GB of PC3200, and a 6800 GT. Everything runs flawless in SH3 and GW except this wierd issue where when I view flames/explosions of a burning ship the frame rate does not chop, but the animation/modelling of the fire and smoke itself chops. Aside from that, I'm not worried about whether or not I can run SHIV.

I think even the recommended spec (not the required spec) for SHIV would be 3.0 GHz at most from both Intel/AMD with 512 of RAM and the DX9 card.

Whatever you buy for a laptop right now should handle SHIV as long as it has a decent video card. I could run SH3 on an eMachines 6811 (2.2 AMD 64, 512 of RAM, ATI 9600 128) and the ONLY problem in that game (aside from the fire thing) is that it took forever to load because the HDDD was 5200 RPM and probably from the slower RAM speeds. In-game was fine.