PDA

View Full Version : Carriers at War

FAdmiral
10-17-06, 06:44 PM
"This is not a drill, Fight from Pearl Harbor to the Philippine Sea"

"Matrix Games, and SSG, www.ssg.com.au (http://www.ssg.com.au/), are proud to announce the recreation of a wargame classic. Carriers at War will be coming to Matrix Games later this year. The game is a simulation of fleet carrier air and naval operations in the Pacific theater from 1941 to 1945."

An old classic is being released again but with new tech....
I sure loved to play the old one and spent many hours doing it.

JIM

bradclark1
10-17-06, 08:15 PM
I have the old version. They've redone the graphics. They don't give a release date and with Matrix that could mean 3 years or more.
I bet it outsells Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific.

Bill Nichols
10-18-06, 10:51 AM
:rock:
A classic game - I remember playing it on my original Apple II. Great to hear it's getting a re-birth!

FAdmiral
10-18-06, 01:50 PM
A quote from my first post above:

"Carriers at War will be coming to Matrix Games later this year."

It sounds like it could be in the next 3 months or so....

JIM

bradclark1
10-18-06, 02:31 PM

JIM

I hope so but I wouldn't hold your breath. Not to put a damper on it. I would love to have it for Xmas. (Yes it's getting that time)

sonar732
10-19-06, 06:33 AM

JIM

We've heard this song and dance from multiple publishers before...anyone remember the Boomer game a few years ago? Anyhow, when it shows up on the shelves, or a definate update is placed on their website...don't hold your breath.

desertisland
02-08-07, 08:45 PM
Oops, found this thread. Excuse me for excessive posts.

I've played the old CAW and CAWII to death.

As to Matrix Games. I have been waiting for Computer Empire in Arms since... 1998?

FAdmiral
04-17-07, 01:06 PM
More screenshots on the upcoming "Carriers at War" from SSG and
will be available thru Matrixgames....
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/screens.asp?gid=337
I will most definately GET this game !!!

JIM

Sledge_57
04-17-07, 02:50 PM
I planned to NOT get the game but after seeing those screenies, I guess I'll have to buy it AGAIN :rock:

Packerton
04-17-07, 04:08 PM
Does the game let you change history such as preventing the Yorktown from ever being sunk etc.

desertisland
05-09-07, 04:20 AM
Does the game let you change history such as preventing the Yorktown from ever being sunk etc.
Or totally screw up Pearl in one sense or the other. Though I don't think the late scenarios are winnable as the Japanese. I am speaking from my experience with older versions of CAW, of course.

Matrix "face-lifts" have its ups and downs. I totally despise the way they powdered up Close Combat III as a new product. If you own the old game, play it instead.

I hope they implement the following in the new CAW:

1. Carriers can continue to move after launching squadrons. I am not knowledgeable enough about naval tactics to say if this is unrealistic. But the Japanese employed a tactic of "unequal flight legs" in Pearl. First they launch the squadrons, then they sail away from Pearl. This way they will get out of the range of possible air retaliations. Of course, Americans never knew what hit them and the tactic proves to be unneccessary.

2. Link up scenariors or campaigns. The outcome of Coral Sea affects what shows up in Midway.

AntEater
05-09-07, 10:09 AM
Matrix surely has a limited range of customers when they advertise CAW as being of "intermediate" difficulty.
Hell, current no brainer gamers have problems with anything with more than two key commands and CAW is "intermediate"?:rotfl:

desertisland
05-09-07, 11:58 AM
Actually CAW is pretty simple and straightfoward in term of the control interface. The entire game is playable with the mouse -- no hotkeys required. I would say rating it intermediate is about right, even when you put it up against contemporary RTS.