PDA

View Full Version : Scenery details

tonibamestre
10-17-06, 09:15 AM
Hi All,
Developers,do you think would be possible to build more detailed and crowded ports and naval bases,both from USA and Japan mainly?
Imagine a very detailed Pearl Harbour,San Diego,Norfolk,etc,that would be amazing.
Of course we dont want detail just on sceneries,but on controllable platforms also.
Another interesting thing would be to implement sea life on this new sim, a brand new feature,lets say,fishes and sharks,depending on the waters we are located.

Best regards

TDK1044
10-17-06, 10:55 AM
I think a more realistic port traffic model than SH3 would be a good idea, but if the DEVS go too far down that line there are obvious RAM and video card implications. I'm hoping to play SH4 with decent fps on a mid range video card and 1 Gig of RAM.

AVGWarhawk
10-17-06, 01:26 PM
The developers did give us some harbor traffic inthe 1.4 patch and the mods dudes improved it some more:rock:. I would suspect the graphics engine will be the same for SH4 as SH3. If that is the case, if your computer runs it well know it should run SH4 just as well:yep:

JU_88
10-17-06, 01:55 PM
The devs have said that they have greatly optimized the game engine for much better performance, so dont assume that SH4 will struggle with things (graphically) that SH3 would.

Dantenoc
10-17-06, 04:34 PM
The devs have said that they have greatly optimized the game engine for much better performance.

A good thing to hear :up:

As to fishes on the sea... I don't think it would be agood idea.
1) You won't be able to use the outside cam view on higher realism settings (if they follow SHIII's suit) so what's the point of burdening the system with stuff that you won't realy be able to see?
2) Marine wildlife is shy in general. If something big and scary comes along making a lot of noise, they'll hide away, as simple as that (so there's no fish in real life either). Only very few marine animals are boat friendly, like dolphins and maybe some whales... but dolphins are allready included in SHIII (although I've never seen one personaly) and whales... well, let's just say that whales is not what this game is about. Whales are VERY important on a modern submarine sim, but not on a WWII one with those pitiful hydrophones that can't pick them up. Best leave this part of the sim alone.

I vote more for the naval traffic side of your proposal. That of course IS completely relevant to the game and to it's realism feel.

TDK1044
10-17-06, 06:44 PM
I'm hoping for more port activity...ships coming and going. I found that in SH3, it was like visiting a ghost port with a few static ships in it.

Safe-Keeper
10-17-06, 06:55 PM
I'm all for maritime life. Your point on fish sounds like a decent one, but what about when the boat's lying there silent in the water waiting for a target?

As someone who's not only seen, but also gone swimming with a dolphin, I know from experience they aren't afraid of boats (or people, in certain cases). As for whales, are you sure hydrophones can pick them up? According to this manual (http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/sonar/chap4.htm), they can pick up quite a lot:-?.

Sharks, too, are a very real threat if man-over-board is to be implemented, which I hope it is. They accounted for a good deal of dead after the USS Indianapolis sank:cry:.

1) You won't be able to use the outside cam view on higher realism settings (if they follow SHIII's suit) so what's the point of burdening the system with stuff that you won't realy be able to see?Many people don't play on the highest realism settings.

_Seth_
10-17-06, 07:22 PM
The devs have said that they have greatly optimized the game engine for much better performance.
A good thing to hear :up:

As to fishes on the sea... I don't think it would be agood idea.
1) You won't be able to use the outside cam view on higher realism settings (if they follow SHIII's suit) so what's the point of burdening the system with stuff that you won't realy be able to see?
2) Marine wildlife is shy in general. If something big and scary comes along making a lot of noise, they'll hide away, as simple as that (so there's no fish in real life either). Only very few marine animals are boat friendly, like dolphins and maybe some whales... but dolphins are allready included in SHIII (although I've never seen one personaly) and whales... well, let's just say that whales is not what this game is about. Whales are VERY important on a modern submarine sim, but not on a WWII one with those pitiful hydrophones that can't pick them up. Best leave this part of the sim alone.

I vote more for the naval traffic side of your proposal. That of course IS completely relevant to the game and to it's realism feel.

I would like to see a whale swallowing my torpedo! :rotfl::rotfl: Or sharks, so we can make Bernard "walk-the-plank"!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

_Seth_
10-17-06, 07:23 PM
Ok.....The "whale swallowing my torpedo" was not written in any sexual way...you pervos...:nope:

Dantenoc
10-17-06, 07:36 PM
As someone who's not only seen, but also gone swimming with a dolphin, I know from experience they aren't afraid of boats (or people, in certain cases). As for whales, are you sure hydrophones can pick them up? According to this manual (http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/sonar/chap4.htm), they can pick up quite a lot:-?.

Well, dolphins are already included in SHIII, so I meant to say that they didn't have to "add" them. As for the whale thing I stand corrected. I thought that back in the day if it didn't sound like a diesel engine chuging along then it probably isn't a worthy target, whereas today, any sound at all could be and ultra quite sub right up your six :huh: ... anyways, if they did get a lot of "native" contacts on the hydrophones, I would like to have them, but only if they include them in the hydrophones also, and not just visualy... but it's not high up on my wishlist. Kudos if they include them.

Sir Big Jugs
10-20-06, 01:38 PM
Have mercy on my poor rig!!!:down::down::down:

Safe-Keeper
10-20-06, 01:59 PM
Just add graphics options. Should be easy. And it's merciful to your poor rig;).

Sulikate
10-20-06, 06:35 PM
Just add graphics options. Should be easy. And it's merciful to your poor rig;).
:yep:

Sailor Steve
10-21-06, 10:36 AM
I feel just the opposite about port traffic; as long as it's moddable, concentrate on the stuff we can't do. True, SHIII had no traffic to speak of, but thanks to folks like Rubini that's not really a problem, an easily overcome.

Besides, even if they add a lot of traffic people will just change it for the better anyway. Just make sure the ports themselves are accurate, or easily modable.