PDA

View Full Version : Uhhh.... Another WWII Sim?

JordanC
09-18-06, 09:51 PM
Hi, I just registered here! I'm looking forward to talking with you guys! Anyways, I'm a bit stumped on why Ubi is doing ANOTHER WWII sim. Ok, we're the US, and we're shooting at Rising Sun flags, but that's not really enough to constitute a making of yet another sim. Ubi is really going to have to pull some cars out of their sleeves because they've about done it all with WWII subsims. Having 2 interior areas of the sub modeled won't do for one.

Don't you think a modern sim would be a bit better, cruising at 900 feet in an Ohio Class, armed to the teeth with missles and torpedoes, then putting around in the Pacific at 12 knots?

WWII sims were fun and all, but it's getting old.

Torplexed
09-18-06, 10:21 PM
Problem with modern day sub sims for me is the lack of a good back story..or back history in this case. True, modern subs have had their "blind man's bluff" days and hypothetical Cold War moments but nothing to me really compares to the complete and complex history of constant ongoing operations like there was in WW2. Dangerous Waters and Sub Command seems to have that market covered anyhow.

Plus, there is plenty of material left to be mined in WW2. The subject of a British sub sim set in the Med sadly hasn't been touched yet. Going by this forum there is a market for WW2 Japanese subs sims as well.

JordanC
09-18-06, 10:30 PM
I agree, the only true sub attack since WWII was in the Falklands, that British sub. But like you said, turn the Cold War into WWIII, Sub Command didn't have any story to it, yet it was fun. I suppose I could come up with little improvments to the WWII sims all my life, but they aren't really adding anything new. The same old stuff is what I'm getting at.
"Sub Command and Dangerous Waters seemed to have that market covered anyhow."
Really? We get a 5 year old Sim and another with literally the same graphics engine and nothing new? So, the modern simulation people don't complain a whole lot about their sims that are 5 years in the past, but people here complain because they can't control Japanese subs?

CCIP
09-18-06, 11:39 PM
Just how many WWII sub sims is too many?

I don't think that with SHIII being the only notable WWII sub sim
in 5 years, and SHIV following at least another 2 years after it, that could be considered "another WWII sub sim". And the pacific hasn't been done in a commercial release for far too long!

A modern sub sim by Ubisoft - risky investment that can't take advantage of previous developments. They'd have to start from scratch - and who knows how many mistakes could be made. For a WWII sim, at least there is a proven engine with many mistakes found within it already (to be fixed, we hope)...

CybaGirl
09-19-06, 12:53 AM
I guess WWII sub sims may have been done many times in the past. But I much prefer a WWII sim than a modern day sub sim.

I mean lets face it..

How much excitement would there be in a sub sim where you push a button and forget about it? Because basically thats all you have to do these days in modern day warfare. As computers do everything for you... I much prefer to use my brain, calculate and work things out for myself. Yes call me old fashion but it sure beats being brain dead like the generation of people that society seems to be creating today.

Either way I prefer to look at the next generation of WWII sub sims like a fine wine. They only get better with age :).

Long live them I say and I for one am so looking forward to Silent Hunter V! Furthermore I hope the Silent Hunter series never lowers itself to a modern day type submarine simulator.

_Seth_
09-19-06, 01:06 AM
I guess WWII sub sims may have been done many times in the past. But I much prefer a WWII sim than a modern day sub sim.

I mean lets face it..

How much excitement would there be in a sub sim where you push a button and forget about it? Because basically thats all you have to do these days in modern day warfare. As computers do everything for you... I much prefer to use my brain, calculate and work things out for myself. Yes call me old fashion but it sure beats being brain dead like the generation of people that society seems to be creating today.

Either way I prefer to look at the next generation of WWII sub sims like a fine wine. They only get better with age :).

Long live them I say and I for one am so looking forward to Silent Hunter V! Furthermore I hope the Silent Hunter series never lowers itself to a modern day type submarine simulator.

I agree. There is more charm in a WWII sim than a modern one. All those computerized gadgets in todays subs just makes it unpersonal. I modern day subsim could be an option for people interested, though, but lets not blame Ubisoft for making SHIV... :rock:

John Channing
09-19-06, 05:26 AM
...and another with literally the same graphics engine and nothing new? So, the modern simulation people don't complain a whole lot about their sims that are 5 years in the past, but people here complain because they can't control Japanese subs?

Nothing new?

A frigate, helo, Orion, and a modern diesel sub. Plus the only interoperable modern naval sim.

Sounds new to me.

JCC

Immacolata
09-19-06, 08:02 AM
Red Storm Rising from MicroProse is the best modern era subsim I remember having played. Good campaign, for the time rather good sim model and it was exciting. the new "modern subsims" are too sterile. Its all screens and menus, no sexyness to be found in miles. The lack of historical context makes them a lesser experience. I wouldn't mind a fictional campaign if it was as well made as RRR's.

TDK1044
09-19-06, 08:18 AM
The problem with the modern warfare sims is that they are largely 'shoot from miles away and then hide' sims. In the WW11 sims, whether you're talking planes or subs, it's a game of cat and mouse. It's up close and personal and not 100 miles away. Personally, I find the WW11 stuff much more fun.

JordanC
09-19-06, 09:07 AM
I suppose we just have different intrests. When you say DW has lots of new things like the units, but the game itself is pretty much a spit image of Sub Command. If it was the WWII sim community that had this happen to them, I can just imagine how much they would be complaining. Just how far does Ubi want to take Silent Hunter?
I can't wait untill I see the post "Silent Hunter 5 Announced!!!".

CCIP
09-19-06, 12:28 PM
Another point I'd like to make is that while there have been great efforts in WWII sub sims done so far, we're well away from even having all the gameplay features we might like! There's a lot that still could be done in the gameplay-relevant graphics department (drifting rain squalls while intercepting a convoy, anyone?), AI department (don't get me started on this one...), let alone the campaign department (a true dynamic campaign with a strategic AI, anyone?)

I think with all the new technology we get, we deserve the WWII sub sim genre to be updated every couple of years. And noone has done it better than the SH series.

I sincerely wish that SH remain a WWII series. How about for modern, someone ressurects Fast Attack instead? :yep:

GakunGak
09-19-06, 04:07 PM
About the Campaign, take Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October and Fictional USvsRussia...:hmm:
Controlable platforms:
USA:
1. Seawolf
2. 688i
3. Ohio
4. Virginia
Russia:
1. Akula
2. Victor 3
3. Typhoon
4. Alfa
Why it has to be historical realistic??? Make a good story which could be simulated in the real-world events...
As for computers, well, imagine you got 10 sonar contacts... Would take them a lot of time to classify them all. Also TMA to plot a targeting solution. Not very easy piece of cake... And finally, Silent Hunter amy remain a WW2 sub simulator, but why not make another modern naval warfare simulation under some other title???:know:
Just a thought, but hey: imagine launching a tomahawk and looking through a periscope... AH yes, conematics! I want lot's of it...:arrgh!:
Kinda early wishlist, but won't hurt, I guess...;)

JordanC
09-19-06, 04:46 PM
Exactly! Well it may be a little hard to come up with a story, it could be done!

But, no game will have ALL of the features players want. I just think Ubi needs to implement something big if they want the SH series to keep a steady pace. WWII naval warfare is very interesting, don't get me wrong, I still am WAY more interested in WWII then I am in modern warfare, but I suppose it's just getting old. Cruising at periscope depth for an hour chasing a convoy at 5 knts was fun, but I just want something different.

GakunGak
09-19-06, 04:52 PM
If we could have everything we want, we would't be able to run it.
It would take at least SLI mode for nVidia, Pentium 4 with 6GHz at least, 8GB's of RAM, 3 DVD's for instalation....
Someone please correct me...:doh:
@JordanC: Agree 100%:rock:

Qairyl
09-19-06, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't be against the idea of a modern-era sub sim, but the concept of "fire and forget" in a field such as this seems a bit.....out of place. That's something I'd expect to see in the skies, somewhere like the Ace Combat series (not that it's a bad thing; I've always been a huge AC fan), not in the seas. Maybe somewhere like Warship Gunner 2, where the fun isn't so much in the realism as it is in the fast-paced action. Besides, how much more satisfaction do you get when that meticulously-measured shot tears a DD in two?:arrgh!:

-Qairyl

Red Devil
09-20-06, 06:36 AM
I love sub sims and WW2 has been a veritable treasure chest for them. I used to use 688(i) attack sub which I found excellent, in its day, but gimme good old US subs in the Pacific anyday. I am really looking forward to playing Sub IV .......

Drebbel
09-20-06, 06:54 AM

My Grandpa is old
The Mona Lisa is old
The Statue of Liberty is old
The Grand Canyon is old

And I still enjoy all of those :p

Pants
09-20-06, 07:14 AM
I play all timeframes napoleonic war upto modern day ( Gulfwar 2 )and i must admit i prefere playing in WWI,WWII as they have more of a "feel" to them
As IMHO it takes more testicular fortitude to be in or play WWI,WWII as all sides then were more evenly matched..no over the horizon firing..or fire and forget...it's all up close and personal
In any case whats not to like about a WWI,WWII submarine's Diesel Electric, Rolls Royce Merlin or a Daimler-Benz engine sound's :up:

SkvyWvr
09-20-06, 10:14 AM
I'd love to see a new WWII surface game dealing with the war in the Pacific. It would be great to get into a night surface action in the Slot.

Nightmare
09-20-06, 10:38 AM
I'd love to see a new WWII surface game dealing with the war in the Pacific. It would be great to get into a night surface action in the Slot.

Oh, now there is a good idea. This hasn't been done since Task Force 1942...at least to my knowledge. That was, what, 1995?

Sailor Steve
09-20-06, 12:00 PM
Let me see if I have this right: We have SHIII, so we should be happy with the original Silent Hunter if we are fans of the Pacific War. Ten years from now, when all-new technology is available, there shouldn't be any more WWII sims because it's been done before.

I guess I should stick with Silent Service and Grey Wolf, because Aces of the Deep was a new WWII sub sim and shouldn't have been done. Same holds with Silent Hunter-we already had one.

I'm sorry, but I think SHIV is just the thing *I* need to make my next few years complete, and I hope when a newer way of doing things comes along they don't listen to you.

Just my opinion, though.

fredbass
09-20-06, 12:20 PM
food for thought: I've seen some recent polls done on the future of FPS games (yes I know this is a sim) and by far the most requested time period was still WWII.

It just goes to show you how strong that setting continues to be after everything that's been released up to this point.

Hylander_1314
09-20-06, 08:16 PM
How about something along the lines of the old Fighting Steel series from SSI. But with a better campaign strategy. They were fun for their time, but the graphics are very long in the tooth compared to todays tech.

Steeltrap
09-20-06, 08:56 PM
How about something along the lines of the old Fighting Steel series from SSI. But with a better campaign strategy. They were fun for their time, but the graphics are very long in the tooth compared to todays tech.

There was the "Great Naval Battles" in the Atlantic 1939-43 I think...can't remember the name. That was interesting in that you had the Germans raiding and the Allies defending convoys and/or with TFs.

Had an amusing damage system (you could set it to see a shell impact ripping its way through various compartments, starting fires or flooding) and you could set damage control parties on firefighting etc, plus you could counter-flood to prevent capsizing.

The AI sucked, of course. I remember the Scheer taking me on when I was commanding the Nelson....bit stupid!

That whole approach, however, was a good idea - with today's computers it could definitely be done extremely well.

As for why people want WWII? I suspect it's largely due to the fact that there's the feeling that results were still very much affected by personal skill as opposed to being dictated by technology. The very basic nature of MBTs compared with today is an outstanding example (I remember reading how the KV-1 came with a tool to assist in changing gears as the gear shift was notoriously stiff: a small hammer!!).

SkvyWvr
09-21-06, 12:10 PM

Oh, now there is a good idea. This hasn't been done since Task Force 1942...at least to my knowledge. That was, what, 1995?

I really enjoyed that game. I think it would be great with the new graphics capabilities of todays systems.:D

AVGWarhawk
09-21-06, 12:30 PM
I would have to agree with most in this thread that WW2 is of great interest to many and simulation concerning WW2 will always be interesting. Modern warfare subs is just a console and buttons. Shoot and forget it technology. Not much fun there. Grim, grease, sweat and de'd reckoning is much more imaginative than click and shoot.

CCIP
09-21-06, 12:53 PM
I would still suggest that people avoid shunning modern sims. There seems to be some snobbish attitude involved in this as well; I think people often fail to see past the 'fire and forget'. I've run into this far too often with flight sims, and I've gotten quite tired of people putting down Falcon 4.0 just because it has missiles. Sure IL-2 is more visceral, but to be honest, I still prefer the modern flight sim done right - it offers a lot of unique challenges and puts a lot of emphasis on building situational awareness from a lot more sources than just your Mk.1 eyeballs.

The point is that there is a lot of good stuff in modern simming. I do, however, believe that it doesn't belong in the SH series, let alone in a current engine that is slowly being tuned to being 'just the thing' for a WWII-era sim (and thus saving a lot of time and money in the development process of SHIV and possibly further expansions/titles).

What I think needs to be realized here that building a proper modern sim will take a lot more than a few pretty models of SSBNs and torpedoes that run further and faster. Just look at DW - it's being developed by a team of military-contract professionals, and yet it still has the modelling far from perfect. I don't believe a simplified sim is a sim; it's unlikely that it will gain support from the community in the long run and would probably kill the series (even if it initially sells alright). And if a proper modern sim is to be done, then you might as well start from scratch. And that will take a lot of money that Ubi is probably not willing to invest.

John Pancoast
09-21-06, 02:23 PM
I would still suggest that people avoid shunning modern sims. There seems to be some snobbish attitude involved in this as well; I think people often fail to see past the 'fire and forget'. I've run into this far too often with flight sims, and I've gotten quite tired of people putting down Falcon 4.0 just because it has missiles. Sure IL-2 is more visceral, but to be honest, I still prefer the modern flight sim done right - it offers a lot of unique challenges and puts a lot of emphasis on building situational awareness from a lot more sources than just your Mk.1 eyeballs.

The point is that there is a lot of good stuff in modern simming. I do, however, believe that it doesn't belong in the SH series, let alone in a current engine that is slowly being tuned to being 'just the thing' for a WWII-era sim (and thus saving a lot of time and money in the development process of SHIV and possibly further expansions/titles).

What I think needs to be realized here that building a proper modern sim will take a lot more than a few pretty models of SSBNs and torpedoes that run further and faster. Just look at DW - it's being developed by a team of military-contract professionals, and yet it still has the modelling far from perfect. I don't believe a simplified sim is a sim; it's unlikely that it will gain support from the community in the long run and would probably kill the series (even if it initially sells alright). And if a proper modern sim is to be done, then you might as well start from scratch. And that will take a lot of money that Ubi is probably not willing to invest.

Hear hear, re your F4 comments :)

Anyone who thinks a-a missles are some kind of magic bullet in F4, obviously haven't played it much :)

DanCanovas
09-21-06, 02:31 PM
on the contrary, i dont play DW because I cant really work it out, I find SH3 on about 81% realism easier. I suppose the graphics and atmosphere help too. Id love to play DW but would need a real effort to pick it all up properly. Used to play 688i which was fun.

Sailor Steve
09-21-06, 03:34 PM
I don't play modern sub or flight sims simply because the machinery doesn't interest me. I might go for a flight sim, 'cause jets are cool, but I'm still trying to get set up so I can play Mig Alley.

I just like the old stuff.

John Pancoast
09-21-06, 04:00 PM
I don't play modern sub or flight sims simply because the machinery doesn't interest me. I might go for a flight sim, 'cause jets are cool, but I'm still trying to get set up so I can play Mig Alley.

I just like the old stuff.

MA's a great game, fun stuff.

Hylander_1314
09-21-06, 07:59 PM
My personal taste in flight or subs or ship sims is the old wait to shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. Then get in closer.

Redwine
09-22-06, 07:28 AM
You have many modern subsims to chice one, i think so UBI made "another" WW2 subsim, instead "another" modern subsim, because the people acceptation, the real matter is we have not a WW1 subsim. :up:

GakunGak
09-22-06, 05:16 PM
I just want modern sub in 3D as with Silent Hunter 3 and will gladly pay for a 100 copies...:know:
If you mean DW, the graphics are horible, as with some aspects of gameplay...
:down:

JordanC
09-22-06, 08:36 PM
Since I've gotten back into SH3 recently, I see what you mean. Press the red button and the torpedo finds the ship itself.

Torplexed
09-22-06, 09:28 PM
Actually the buttons are green. They become red after you push them.

DeepSix
09-22-06, 10:20 PM
My personal taste in flight or subs or ship sims is the old wait to shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. Then get in closer.

Yeah, if I can't dogfight I can't get interested. Not knocking the "modern" sims, though.

Eagle1_Division
10-02-06, 04:05 PM
Actually, i find it kinda fun blasting away terrorists in small boats with the CIWS Gattling gun made to shoot down missles... they never stood a chance...

Theres more than just pressing a red button really, you could say WWII Games are just find it, aim, and fire. Theyre both fun and have their ups and downs. As for just press a red-or green button, its more than that, you have to find it, verify it, make sure the path set for the torpedo doesn't hit a civillian ship(or ESPECIALLY missle) and THEN press the green button.

Cant say how many times ive blasted away fishing boats with 4 Tomahawk missles aimed at the enemy ship... wish u could control your weapons more on Fleet Command...

Phantom II
10-02-06, 05:42 PM
I kinda prefer the whole WW2 setting to some fictional setting, because most of the time they tend to suck. I enjoy the WW2 because its something that we knew happened, therefore we can relate to it better. A fictional setting just wouldn't have the same effect.

-Phantom

AVGWarhawk
10-02-06, 07:25 PM
WWII has been some what romanticised over the years by Hollywood, so forth and so on. We know it was anything but romantic but the point is general public interest still is with WWII and the many stories yet untold. Many from family members or letters Grandma had saved, etc. Most seem to enjoy the blood and sweat, gripping drama over the sterile atmosphere of a nuclear sub or the fire and forget it missiles. Furthermore, what untold stories are there? After Korea and Vietnam what else is there? OK, Desert Storm....a few missiles off a submarine in the Med and that was about it. I believe it is hard for developers to come up with a good story line with the modern equipment to hold a large group of comsumers and relieve them of their hard earned cash. With that said, the developers will milk the heck out of WWII for the almighty dollar!

WilhelmSchulz.
10-02-06, 07:58 PM
Well I say it is about time SH goes back to its roots. The Last SH Pac sim was back in 1997. Although I would like to see a revived Red Storm Rising.

And that fire and forget sterotype of modern sub sims. To be sucessful you must still get within several km to get a good shot. A over the horizon shot in a gamble. plus there are improved enemny sonars.

or you could play from the Soviet side and still be in the convoy war, and it would be harder.

Yahoshua
10-02-06, 09:24 PM
Ubisoft could always have a go at another "Destroyer Command" for compatibility with SHIII and SHIV.

That would make things quite interesting.

JU_88
10-03-06, 03:59 AM
yeah its a shame there was no DC2 for SH3, I guess if Sh3 only sold 10k its possible only half would buy an expansion, not enough return for the devs/publisher (UBI) So they got the Romanians to make blazing skies or whatever instead (an arcady style ww2 shoot em up) which made them more $$$. :nope:

GakunGak
10-03-06, 04:03 AM
But for how long there would be WWII subsim??? Silent Hunter 4 would be for the US, what would become of 5??? Don't tell me.... The Russians....:hmm: :rock:

Highbury
10-03-06, 04:03 AM
Let me see if I have this right: We have SHIII, so we should be happy with the original Silent Hunter if we are fans of the Pacific War. Ten years from now, when all-new technology is available, there shouldn't be any more WWII sims because it's been done before.

I guess I should stick with Silent Service and Grey Wolf, because Aces of the Deep was a new WWII sub sim and shouldn't have been done. Same holds with Silent Hunter-we already had one.

I'm sorry, but I think SHIV is just the thing *I* need to make my next few years complete, and I hope when a newer way of doing things comes along they don't listen to you.

Just my opinion, though.

:up:

Spot on. They are not re-doing it by any means.. they are improving the genre with the advancing technology in computers.

Also, why do you think they have focused on WWII? Because a small minority wants it? No. You would probably find that when the few modern ones that have been made went up against a WWII one they fell far behind in sales. Same applies in flight sims.. ask that community what the calssics are.. Lucas' BoB and SWotL, Dynamix's Red Baron series, IL-2 and follow ups.. etc etc etc.. rarely will a modern one pop in there (yes I know Falcon 4.0 etc but the WWII ones have a larger following.) Ubi wants to make money, not make a small crowd happy.

For myself I prefer WWII in flight and naval sims, and even the shooters I'll take Red Orchestra:Ost Front over Counter Strike:Source any day. Why? As others have said modern sims have little soul, no ænema. Just point and click, let the computer do the rest.. no grit.

I am not meaning to talk down your preference, just trying to say why I and many others can have a new WWII one every 2 years or so for life and die happy, and why the companies think they will make more that way.

John Pancoast
10-03-06, 04:46 PM

Just my opinion, though.

:up:

Spot on. They are not re-doing it by any means.. they are improving the genre with the advancing technology in computers.

Also, why do you think they have focused on WWII? Because a small minority wants it? No. You would probably find that when the few modern ones that have been made went up against a WWII one they fell far behind in sales. Same applies in flight sims.. ask that community what the calssics are.. Lucas' BoB and SWotL, Dynamix's Red Baron series, IL-2 and follow ups.. etc etc etc.. rarely will a modern one pop in there (yes I know Falcon 4.0 etc but the WWII ones have a larger following.) Ubi wants to make money, not make a small crowd happy.

For myself I prefer WWII in flight and naval sims, and even the shooters I'll take Red Orchestra:Ost Front over Counter Strike:Source any day. Why? As others have said modern sims have little soul, no ænema. Just point and click, let the computer do the rest.. no grit.

I am not meaning to talk down your preference, just trying to say why I and many others can have a new WWII one every 2 years or so for life and die happy, and why the companies think they will make more that way.

Hmmm.....I'd disagree with your statement about F4's following.

TwistedFemur
10-04-06, 04:18 PM
Problem with modern day sub sims for me is the lack of a good back story..or back history in this case. True, modern subs have had their "blind man's bluff" days and hypothetical Cold War moments but nothing to me really compares to the complete and complex history of constant ongoing operations like there was in WW2. Dangerous Waters and Sub Command seems to have that market covered anyhow.

Plus, there is plenty of material left to be mined in WW2. The subject of a British sub sim set in the Med sadly hasn't been touched yet. Going by this forum there is a market for WW2 Japanese subs sims as well.

Not to mention Night bombing in a lancaster
A WW2 tanksim hasnt been done in awhile and I have yet to see one where you take a tank crew through the war upgradeing as the war progresses

SgtWalt65
10-15-06, 01:26 PM
Exactly! Well it may be a little hard to come up with a story, it could be done!

But, no game will have ALL of the features players want. I just think Ubi needs to implement something big if they want the SH series to keep a steady pace. WWII naval warfare is very interesting, don't get me wrong, I still am WAY more interested in WWII then I am in modern warfare, but I suppose it's just getting old. Cruising at periscope depth for an hour chasing a convoy at 5 knts was fun, but I just want something different.

Well I think if you read all the post about Modern Sub Sim versus WW2 Sub Sim, the WW2 wins. Ubisoft has a winner here with WW2 and I do not see the changing anytime soon and I hope they don't. Like what was said by others in here, the modern sub sim is just too boring and push button. The WW2 is much more challenging and fun. Not to mention, the WW2 sub systems are declassified and most of the modern subs systems are still classified. So very little is known about how they operate and that is a key killer point for making a realistic sub sim.:nope:
If you want a modern sub sim go and talk with the makers of Dangerous Waters.;)

GakunGak
10-15-06, 02:30 PM

Well I think if you read all the post about Modern Sub Sim versus WW2 Sub Sim, the WW2 wins. Ubisoft has a winner here with WW2 and I do not see the changing anytime soon and I hope they don't. Like what was said by others in here, the modern sub sim is just too boring and push button. The WW2 is much more challenging and fun. Not to mention, the WW2 sub systems are declassified and most of the modern subs systems are still classified. So very little is known about how they operate and that is a key killer point for making a realistic sub sim.:nope:
If you want a modern sub sim go and talk with the makers of Dangerous Waters.;)

But Dnagerous Waters is too poor with graphics, not to mention 2D panels....
They could go to navsource.org, see some samples a make, say:
1. US SSN Seawolf
2. US SSN LA 688i
3. USS SSBN OHIO
4. RU SSN Akula
5. RU SSN Alfa
6. RU SSBN Typhoon
Make fictional story such as Red Storm Rising or The Hunt for Red october.
Also add nuke missiles, and all hell's gonna break loose!!!!
As for enemy detection, you have a complicated sonar system for detecting & classifying contacts.... And yes! Damage reports. I want water leak [if possible].
And stay silent.
Would be nice if diesels team up with nukes....
Imagine nuke vs. wwii diesel sub or even u-boat. Maybe XXI would stand a chance...:|\\ :arrgh!: :ping:
Sonar: Conn, Sonar: I have a distant contact, submerged. Probably u-boat, sir!
Skipp: Sonar, Conn: Don't bulls**t me, sonar, or no meal for 2 days!
Sonar: Sonar, aye! [To himself: Jackass!].
Skipp: I heard you, sonar!
Sonar: Sorry, sir, just thinking out loud. And BTW, torpedo in the water, straight running, closing fast!
Skipp: And what's it gonna do, kill us? Gimme a break...
Sonar: Aye, sir. Cap'n, a favor?
Skipp: Speak.
Sonar: Tell the people I owe the money to f**k off!
Skipp: Dismissed!:doh: :damn:

TinCan
10-18-06, 01:12 PM
I'd love to see a new WW2 game with state of the art graphics. :up: SH3 is a great game but looking forward to going back to the Pacific.

Roads88
10-18-06, 01:36 PM
I think you all are missing a great period for the next SHIV. Thru the mists of time it comes:

"Silent Hunter IV. THE HUNDLEY ATTACKS":arrgh!: :arrgh!: :arrgh!:

I think a remake of Red Storm Rising and Task Force 1942 would be fantastic.:up:

GakunGak
10-18-06, 01:38 PM
I think you all are missing a great period for the next SHIV. Thru the mists of time it comes:

"Silent Hunter IV. THE HUNDLEY ATTACKS":arrgh!: :arrgh!: :arrgh!:

I think a remake of Red Storm Rising and Task Force 1942 would be vantastic.:up:

Agree 100%!!!:up: :up: :know: :rock: :arrgh!: :|\\

Albrecht Von Hesse
10-18-06, 01:47 PM
Ubisoft could always have a go at another "Destroyer Command" for compatibility with SHIII and SHIV.

That would make things quite interesting.

:up: :up: :up:

I'm already looking at buying Destroyer Command, and if they were to come out with a Destroyer Command II I'd snap it right up.

FIREWALL
10-18-06, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone:) I have Janes 688i Hunter\Killer & Dangerous Waters. Played both for a while for a change of pace. Their both on the shelf now gathering dust. I like to see what I kill.:up: " What you kill you keep" SH-3 ,GW1.1a :rock: Good Hunting

Goat
10-18-06, 03:33 PM
I'm so new the ink isn't dry on my enlistment contract. I played [and will always have] both F/A-18 and Falcon 4. Fantastically great 'study' games. Personally, I leaned to the Hornet for realism and the Viper for 'game-play'. So when I decided to get my feet in the water, I first chased down a used 688i... and was learning on that. Realizing where it all led, I bought a new D/W..'and' the $'s book. None of it 'fit'. Then I stumbled onto SH3 for $18 in a Navy Exchange...WOW! All the realism an old surface sailor can ask for...and none of the 'watching paint dry' of Modern Boats. Without a doubt, the Modern Jet games are much more interesting than the Modern Boat games. All I had to do was gag down the Swastikas. Sure Das Boat was a great flick, but *I* remember 'Pearl' . As I learn more of the intense depth of SH3, I can't wait for SH4 ! Heck, if nothing else the water is warmer out there.. and I know!

Bring on SH4...please... and soon..

FIREWALL
10-18-06, 03:54 PM
I'm so new the ink isn't dry on my enlistment contract. I played [and will always have] both F/A-18 and Falcon 4. Fantastically great 'study' games. Personally, I leaned to the Hornet for realism and the Viper for 'game-play'. So when I decided to get my feet in the water, I first chased down a used 688i... and was learning on that. Realizing where it all led, I bought a new D/W..'and' the $'s book. None of it 'fit'. Then I stumbled onto SH3 for $18 in a Navy Exchange...WOW! All the realism an old surface sailor can ask for...and none of the 'watching paint dry' of Modern Boats. Without a doubt, the Modern Jet games are much more interesting than the Modern Boat games. All I had to do was gag down the Swastikas. Sure Das Boat was a great flick, but *I* remember 'Pearl' . As I learn more of the intense depth of SH3, I can't wait for SH4 ! Heck, if nothing else the water is warmer out there.. and I know!

Bring on SH4...please... and soon.. Hi Goat :) I'm with you.:up: I also have an extensive list of flight sims"WWII & Modern.Luv em. USE Saitek X52 controllers .Wish they came with rudder pedals:cry: . Btw. Iused to live in a place called Bainbridge Is. near Bangor in Wash State. Bangor is a Trident sub base. I can tell you a short story if your interested that will make your hair stand on end . Good Hunting:lurk:

Albrecht Von Hesse
10-18-06, 05:12 PM
Hi Goat :) I'm with you.:up: I also have an extensive list of flight sims"WWII & Modern.Luv em. USE Saitek X52 controllers .Wish they came with rudder pedals:cry: . Btw. Iused to live in a place called Bainbridge Is. near Bangor in Wash State. Bangor is a Trident sub base. I can tell you a short story if your interested that will make your hair stand on end . Good Hunting:lurk:

I've got the X52 controllers, too: joystick and throttle . . . swe-eeeet!:up:

I just need to go to college to figger out all dem buttons, switches, rockers, etc. :p

I wish they had rudders, too, darrnit. I hate having to twist-a-stick to simulate rudder motion.:cry:

Goat
10-18-06, 05:15 PM
Firewall... My current home port is near Port Angeles. Have waited for a lot of boats to pass through the Hood Canal bridge.

I'm so new I don't remember if there is P.M. on this web page or not, but if I know Sea-Stories, they all begin with "This ain't no ****", and the other rule is The First Liar Stands No Chance ...;)

Yes, I keep the Plane Games on my old '98 machine with the Voodoo5 video. It runs games of that Era better than all the XP/New Video ones around. Maybe I'll light 'em off again one of these days when I FINALLY plot a good intercept course... then figure out how to USE the '3:15' rule..etc. I've got lots of time, but the learnin' comes slower now!!!

Be Happy... So Cal isn't all bad either, as I remember

Goat
10-18-06, 05:17 PM
Von Hesse...you are good for morale ! I *had* a Cougar. More trouble remembering the buttons and levers than.... the game. I literally gave that thing away to a Gullible One. Was tickled pink to have it out of the house !

Albrecht Von Hesse
10-18-06, 05:28 PM
Von Hesse...you are good for morale ! I *had* a Cougar. More trouble remembering the buttons and levers than.... the game. I literally gave that thing away to a Gullible One. Was tickled pink to have it out of the house !

A very nice thing I like about the Saitek X52 is they are custom-programmable. Every button, knob, dial . . . you can even print out the template and note which-does-what, and set them for what you want. And it even has a button you can toggle that lets you push things and see what you set them for. So you can find out that, yes, that button does fire your Harpoon without actually firing it.:D

FIREWALL
10-18-06, 06:04 PM
Hi Goat& Hesse Hope your both still their. Had company stop by so had to sign off. AND AS USAUL THEY DIDN'T BRING ANY BEER !!! Talk about no social graces sheez. Yup i'm wearing a pair of beach baggies to beat the heat"88F". It's the core temp ya got to worry about. Just have another cold one.:doh: If you guys are still there i'll tell you about my experience about me almost getting torped by a sub on Hood Canal. Good Hunting:up:

Goat
10-18-06, 06:40 PM
I found the P.M. gizmo and sent you one. I think it is considered...'gauche'... to spin Sea Stories on a thread like this, eh, Mate ?

Hate to make too many....angry...this new to the Forum !

John Pancoast
10-18-06, 07:10 PM

A very nice thing I like about the Saitek X52 is they are custom-programmable. Every button, knob, dial . . . you can even print out the template and note which-does-what, and set them for what you want. And it even has a button you can toggle that lets you push things and see what you set them for. So you can find out that, yes, that button does fire your Harpoon without actually firing it.:D

CH Pro Throttle/Combatstick/Pro Pedals guy myself :D

FIREWALL
10-18-06, 09:04 PM
I found the P.M. gizmo and sent you one. I think it is considered...'gauche'... to spin Sea Stories on a thread like this, eh, Mate ?

Hate to make too many....angry...this new to the Forum !

Hi Goat :) Just got back to computer another "friend" stopped by and again no beer. What's the world coming to. I got your pm and will pm the
true tail back to you and let you decide:hmm: . I had to bring up about joysticks on a subsite and look where that went:rotfl: Aw s**t wife's home got to make dinner. Wil be back later tonite. Hope to see all of back too.
Good Hunting

Sailor Steve
10-19-06, 10:20 AM
I can understand threads getting sidetracked, because sometimes conversations do to. That said, is there really a need to hold private conversations on a public thread? Just read your PMs and let us get back to arguing about our games.

Goat
10-19-06, 10:33 AM
Your call, Mate. You have a lot more postings than I do... 'Sea Stories' usually get loooooong and far afield. I was just trying to avoid bothering people....

Sailor Steve
10-19-06, 10:36 AM
Postings aren't standings, and I have no authority at all. I'm just a guy whining.

Goat
10-19-06, 10:43 AM
Then I suggest you tell FIREWALL to post his Sea Story... and let the chips far where they may... Maybe those subscribed to this thread WILL enjoy it, and not feel 'high-jacked'...:)

djdemo
10-24-06, 02:13 PM

Is that not a highly subjective statement?

They may be 'old' for you, but the Pacific is a whole new experience, and a whole different type of conflict to the Atlantic.

For me, personally, this is going to be as fresh and as exciting as SHIII... in my opinion far more exciting than sailing in an Ohio waiting for a launch order.

Plus, if I was that much into submarines I would have joined the Navy!!!

However, we are all entitled to opinions, but I suggest that the excitement on the forums surrounding this new game suggests that WW2 subs games are not old yet...

Deamon
10-25-06, 11:27 AM
I agree, the only true sub attack since WWII was in the Falklands, that British sub.
Nope, an Pakistany Daphne sunk an Indian Destroyer(or vice versa ?) and there was even an realy ASW operation after it. The argentine Type 209 als ren a serie of attacks aggainst britsh ships and even a nuc sub. Luck for the brits that the torps didn't work :) the war would had turned out very different else.

Deamon

Safe-Keeper
10-25-06, 05:58 PM
Something not done already. British subs, Russian subs, or Norwegian subs(:p). Something new.