PDA

View Full Version : What U S boats would you like to see added to SHIV

NEON DEON
09-11-06, 10:48 PM
I would like to see all the boats that started the war be modeled in SHIV.

bookworm_020
09-11-06, 11:10 PM
Some of them could be safely discarded, as there were some (P Class) that had no impact on the war effot.

I would like to see the S class as it did play a large role at the begining of the war, plus it would make a great training boat.

I could live without the V class, even though I would like to get my hands on them, just for intrest sake.

I don't expect the Dev team to have the time and resources to have everything we want into the game. It would be nice, but we have to be realistic.

If they left the door open for modders to come in and add units that would be missing, that would add great appeal to the game, both in prestige and economics, as it would attract others to the game who might not come.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do put in, and in what the modders can produce. If the modders can do anything like what they did for SHIII for SHIV, then were going to have a good game turned into a great one.

Capt. D
09-12-06, 09:06 AM
Some of them could be safely discarded, as there were some (P Class) that had no impact on the war effot.

I would like to see the S class as it did play a large role at the begining of the war, plus it would make a great training boat.
There were some P class boats that had success. The Plunger - commissioned in 1937 sank 12 ships and was not decommissioned until 11/45!

The Ps were the first subs with air conditioning and the first class to introduce diesel-electric drive. With that sysetm, the main diesels did not directly drive the propeller shafts for surface propulsion, but drove generators which in turn drove elecric motors that were also used for underwater propulsion. This type of system has powered all conventionally powered US subs built since then. Ps served with distinction throughout WWII. They served in the front-line from Pearl until being gradually withdrawn from early 44 on. Four of the 10 were lost due to enemy action. Nearly all of the surviving boats conducted at least 8 war patrols with the Permit conducting 14!
We need to leave the Ps in. They had only 6 tubes (4 F and 2 A) however five had two external tubes added at the bow. Just another opportunity to take a boat out with some draw backs, and make them work.

Most definately the S class needs to be there too. S-class the P class, Salmon/Sargo class, Tambor class, and finally the Gato/Balao/Tench class need all to be represented. For graphic purposes the S-class, Ps, and Salmon had the most differences. The Tambor and Gato did not have that much difference. The Gatos were heavier by 350 tons and only 4 feet longer. Most of the additional weight being taken up by improved diesels and batteries. The remainder of the changes had to do with habitablility (increased fresh water bunkerage, etc. )
The Balaos were identical (to the Gatos) except that they were slightly redesigned internally to facilitate prefabrication and their pressure hulls were constructed of a higher tensile strength steel allowing dives of an additional 100 ft to max at 400. The Tenches varied somewhat in internal layout, otherwise being identical to the previous boats (Gato/Balao).
Of course as each boat was commissioned it carried the advances that came as the war progressed. Some had their fairweather and bridge structures cut down already - which was part of the refit procedures on the older classes - to just mention one. The devs should not have to change much if anything, in the Gatos thru Tench classes, and therefore should not have to do much more graphic work for classes than was done in SHIII.

Happy Hunting :ping:

NEON DEON
09-12-06, 03:25 PM
Capt D. The P class has already been listed as being included in the game. So I do not think you have to worry about them. :sunny:

The poll was on the boats that were in the US Fleet on December 7, 1941 but, so far, will be left out of SHIV. :down:

MadMike
09-12-06, 06:23 PM
Must... have... S-boat!

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g30000/g33750.jpg

Yours, Mike

Hylander_1314
09-12-06, 08:21 PM
If the Devs go with original line-up that was in Silent Hunter, I wouldn't complain.

At least I won't have to mess with DOSBox anymore! And can have the modern day eyecandy.;)

Amazing though, what they were able to do with that old tech. And to have the tutorials with "Bud" recalling his experiences in the Subfleet during WWII.

Sailor Steve
09-12-06, 08:53 PM
Since the question was which ones we'd LIKE to see, I voted for all. In reality, I think the only one that's truly important would be the Philippines 'S' boats.

The Noob
09-13-06, 05:32 AM
Well, i would like all. But thats impossible, so i'd say: TYPE S!

It's the type 2 of the Pacific. C'mon devs, we need this one! ;)

oche
09-13-06, 07:04 AM
As Hylander said, the SH1 boat line up would be perfect...

WilhelmSchulz.
09-13-06, 08:53 AM
[quote]
Of course as each boat was commissioned it carried the advances that came as the war progressed. Some had their fairweather and bridge structures cut down already - which was part of the refit procedures on the older classes - to just mention one. The devs should not have to change much if anything, in the Gatos thru Tench classes, and therefore should not have to do much more graphic work for classes than was done in SHIII.

Well they have the VIIC, VIIC/41, and VIIC/42 in SHIII so it would be the same thing. The only diffrences between then is performance(same as Gato/Balo/Trench).

Capt. D
09-13-06, 05:34 PM
Capt D. The P class has already been listed as being included in the game. So I do not think you have to worry about them. :sunny:
I realize that - was just commenting on statement from Book Worm 020 regarding P's and not really having any impact:

I think Hylander 1314 makes a very good point:

If the Devs go with original line-up that was in Silent Hunter, I wouldn't complain.
It does seem that the devs will be using most if not all the classes within SH.

NEON DEON
09-13-06, 06:22 PM
Just over 60 % of the US sub force on December 7, 1941 will not be included in SH IV. :huh:

If you included the S class, the percentage would drop to 27%. :yep:

But, that would leave out over a quarter of the starting sub force. :cry:

bookworm_020
09-13-06, 06:55 PM
I wish to apologise for my first suggestion that th P class shouldn't be in the game, I mixed them up with the early R and O class subs, which were mostly used for training.:oops::oops::oops:

The P class did taken an active roll in the war and do deserve consideration for inclusion to SHIV.

Sorry for any upset feelings.

:cry::cry:

Jimbuna
09-14-06, 04:15 AM
I would like to see every class included...after all, there were only a handful of major classes ever built (but some obviously in large numbers) :yep:

Capt. D
09-14-06, 07:42 AM
I wish to apologise for my first suggestion that th P class shouldn't be in the game, I mixed them up with the early R and O class subs, which were mostly used for training.:oops::oops::oops:

The P class did taken an active roll in the war and do deserve consideration for inclusion to SHIV.

Sorry for any upset feelings.

:cry::cry:

Hey no big deal!!:D Everyone has to be able to share their opinions. That's what makes a forum like this so good!:p

I think the majority want the S-Class to be included along with the boats that did have impact in the war effort. The Nautilus 14 patrols/missions and Narwhal 15 patrols/missions - though two of the bigger boats - most of which did not do much - did have an impact as transports for special missions etc. Narwhal sank 5 ships during 6 war patrols and Nautilus sank 5 in as many war patrols. Both were retired in early 1945. Along with Argonaut (lost on patrol in '42) the Nautilus and Narwhal were the only boats "outside" the fleet boat realm that saw action and had some impact - to include of course the old S-Boats at the begining of the war.

P class (to just touch base with them again) were entirely welded from the third boat in the class. With the sole exception of the two small Ms, all US subs up to the Tang class of 1951 evolved from the Ps.

Bottom line - everyone has their wish list of boats to include. If we look at SHI and include all boats that that sim had we would about cover all the main classes S-Boats and P's to Tench. I can not remember if SHI had the Nautilus and Narwhal included. SHI did not have much in the way of special missions - e.g. landing commandos or other support groups, supply missions, extracting VIP groups etc. - so they may not have been in there.

Let's hope for SHI classes and if we get more - so much the better!:D

NEON DEON
09-15-06, 02:49 PM
I always thought when you re-did a game that you would seek to improve it.

Am I to understand that SH IV's idea to improve the game is by offering less variety than it's predecessor?

JU_88
09-18-06, 08:39 AM
Start a major whinning campaign about the S-boat and you might get one, it worked for the dynamic campaign in SH3 :rotfl:

DeepSix
09-18-06, 10:14 PM
I'd like to see 'em all, too - realistically, though, I think S and V are the best choices to include (as 3rd party mods if the devs don't include them). S for sure. V because they were extremely active, even if they weren't ideal. I'm thinking about the announced "special missions" here - it was V boats that delivered Marine Raiders on their missions....

Two cents.

NEON DEON
09-24-06, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see 'em all, too - realistically, though, I think S and V are the best choices to include (as 3rd party mods if the devs don't include them). S for sure. V because they were extremely active, even if they weren't ideal. I'm thinking about the announced "special missions" here - it was V boats that delivered Marine Raiders on their missions....

Two cents.

It might be hard for UBI to implement all the V boats. I think the V boats would have been better named by X boats for experimental. Most of the sub classes of V boats vary widely in specs and performance.

I guess that would leave me wanting almost the same thing.

The S boats, Argonaut, Nautilus, and Narwhal:

Combined these boats had 214 war patrols, 72 battle stars and made up over one third of the U. S. sub force that started the war.

If SH IV was a baseball team, they would be missing the entire outfield from the starting lineup.:down: :down: :down:

LZ_Baker
09-24-06, 05:11 PM
I want to see as many as they can make! :smug:

Capt. D
09-24-06, 05:15 PM
It might be hard for UBI to implement all the V boats. I think the V boats would have been better named by X boats for experimental. Most of the sub classes of V boats vary widely in specs and performance.

I guess that would leave me wanting almost the same thing.

The S boats, Argonaut, Nautilus, and Narwhal:

Combined these boats had 214 war patrols, 72 battle stars and made up over one third of the U. S. sub force that started the war.
I believe the three V Class you listed had some impact regarding special ops both landing commandos or withdrawing them or VIPs from ememy held territory - Nautilus and Narwhal the most. I guess it will stand as to where the Devs regard the importance of these boats vs space and time to put them in. S-boats however should be a no brainer - hopefully!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0324.JPG

USS Silversides SS236 9/23/2006
The most decorated surviving US sub from WWII

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0334.JPG

Control Room - Diving Stations

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0326.JPG

Forward Torpedo Room - opps got the fan!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0329.JPG

Captain's Stateroom

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0337.JPG

Secondary helm - Contol Room

This was my third visit and I still am in awe!:huh: Plan to visit the Cod for the second time soon.

Happy Hunitng :ping:

Jimbuna
09-24-06, 06:24 PM
WOW...great photos Capt. D....can't wait till you post some more :rock: :rock: :rock:

Capt. D
09-25-06, 08:11 AM
Thanks!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0330.JPG

Wardroom - this is where the appendectomy took place on the table shown. This was part of the movie Destination Tokyo Bay with Cary Grant.

You can see a monitor on the counter. To the left is a control panel that will allow you to choose a video of information regarding the department you are in. They have this in the forward torpedo room, here in the wardroom, and one in the control room. You can not go up into the conning tower however the monitor system in the control room allows you to choose a video of the tower and it goes through much of the equipment in it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0341.JPG

Crew berth just aft the crew mess.

The boat needs TLC. Though the people involved with it work on it all the time they are now trying to get funds together ($500,00.00) to dry dock the boat. It seems a boat needed to be dry docked at least every 5 years if in salt water and this could be extended to every 25 years if in fresh water. Well, Lake Michigan is fresh water but the Silversides has not been in dry dock since 1951!!!!! You can also tell there is need for some scraping of paint and some more painting. They do say that the 4 diesel engines are in working order! A lot of the historical things that are part of the boat - camera used with the scope, logs etc. are located on the on site museum so are not on the boat. Also the boat has a overnight program for youth organizations.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0335.JPG

"Christmas Tree" and diving manifold

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adobrauer03/DSCF0338.JPG

Lunch anyone? Galley

NEON DEON
10-04-06, 12:49 AM
O Class December 7, 1941:

USS O-2 (SS - 63) New London
USS O-3 (SS - 64) New London
USS O-4 (SS - 65) New London
USS O-6 (SS - 67) Portsmouth Navy Yard
USS O-7 (SS - 68) New London
USS O-8 (SS - 69) New London
USS O-10 (SS - 71) New London

% of overall sub force: 6.3%

Percentage of class in Pacific/PCZ: 0 %

Percentage of class in N & S Atlantic/Caribbean: 100 %

War patrols: 0

Battle stars: 0

Number of class lost in WW II: 0 of 7; 0 %

Number of men Lost on O boats: 0

Last boat struck: October 11, 1945

Notes: These boats were used almost exclusively for training.

Sailor Steve
10-04-06, 10:32 AM
I guess that means we should demand O-Boats, but only for the Academy scenarios.:rotfl:

NEON DEON
10-04-06, 11:54 AM
I guess that means we should demand O-Boats, but only for the Academy scenarios.:rotfl:

Or it could mean, I was just bumbing the thread using boat info as a shameful ruse to disguise my true motive.
:yep: :yep: :yep:

BUMP!

:ping: :ping: :ping: :ping: :ping:

Sailor Steve
10-04-06, 04:56 PM
Oh, man, I hope Gizzmoe doesn't see this.

NEON DEON
10-07-06, 08:55 PM
O Class December 7, 1941:

USS O-2 (SS - 63) New London
USS O-3 (SS - 64) New London
USS O-4 (SS - 65) New London
USS O-6 (SS - 67) Portsmouth Navy Yard
USS O-7 (SS - 68) New London
USS O-8 (SS - 69) New London
USS O-10 (SS - 71) New London

% of overall sub force: 6.3%

Number of class lost in WW II: 0 of 7; 0 %

Number of men Lost on O boats: 0

Notes: These boats were used almost exclusively for training.

R Class December 7, 1941:

USS R-1 (SS - 78) New London
USS R-2 (SS - 79) Key West
USS R-4 (SS - 81) Key West
USS R-5 (SS - 82) New London
USS R-6 (SS - 83) New London
USS R-7 (SS - 84) ASW Patrol between New London and Bermuda
USS R-9 (SS - 86) New London
USS R-10 (SS - 87) Key West
USS R-11 (SS - 88) Key West
USS R-12 (SS - 89) New London
USS R-13 (SS - 90) Key West
USS R-14 (SS - 91) Key West
USS R-15 (SS - 92) ASW Patrol between New London and Bermuda
USS R-16 (SS - 93) En Route New London to Key West
USS R-17 (SS - 94) New London
USS R-18 (SS - 95) New London
USS R-19 (SS - 96) New London
USS R-20 (SS - 97) Key West

% of overall sub force: 16%

Number of class lost in WW II: 1 of 18; 5.6 %

Number of men Lost on R boats: 42

Notes: These boats were also assigned training duties. They did however make war patrols in the Atlantic and Caribbean during the U boat offensive in 1942. One boat got credit for 700 tons of damage on a U boat. The R 3 was decommissioned in late November 1941 and sent to Great Brittan under Lend Lease. This dropped the sub fleet to 111 from 112. In 1921, the R 14 ran out of fuel during a rescue operation. The crew rigged up a sail making it the only sub in the fleet to ever be powered by sail. The one R class lost in WW II was a result of a training accident.

NEON DEON
10-14-06, 04:12 PM
S Class December 7, 1941:

USS S-1 (SS - 105) At Philadelphia
USS S-11 (SS - 116) At Coco Solo, PCZ
USS S-12 (SS - 117) At Coco Solo, PCZ
USS S-13 (SS - 118) At Coco Solo, PCZ (Operating area)
USS S-14 (SS - 119) At Coco Solo, PCZ (Operating area)
USS S-15 (SS - 120) At St. Thomas, AVI
USS S-16 (SS - 121) At St. Thomas, AVI
USS S-17 (SS - 122) At Coco Solo, PCZ (Operating area)
USS S-18 (SS - 123) Mare Island or San Diego (not clear)
USS S-20 (SS - 125) New London
USS S-21 (SS - 126) New London
USS S-22 (SS - 127) Overhaul Key West
USS S-23 (SS - 128) Mare Island or San Diego (not clear)
USS S-24 (SS - 129) At Coco Solo, PCZ (Operating area)
USS S-26 (SS - 131) En Route New London to Coco Solo, PCZ
USS S-27 (SS - 132) Overhaul Mare Island
USS S-28 (SS - 133) Overhaul Mare Island
USS S-29 (SS - 134) At Coco Solo, PCZ (Operating area)
USS S-30 (SS - 135) Out of New London, Operating along New England Coast
USS S-31 (SS - 136) Overhaul Philadelphia
USS S-32 (SS - 137) New London
USS S-33 (SS - 138) Operating off Newfoundland (New London Based)
USS S-34 (SS - 139) San Diego
USS S-35 (SS - 140) San Diego
USS S-36 (SS - 141) Lingayen Gulf
USS S-37 (SS - 142) On patrol outside Manila Bay
USS S-38 (SS - 143) On patrol outside Manila Bay
USS S-39 (SS - 144) In San Bernadino Straits
USS S-40 (SS - 145) In Manila Bay
USS S-41 (SS - 146) In Manila Bay
USS S-42 (SS - 153) En Route Bermuda to Coco Solo
USS S-43 (SS - 154) Argentia, Newfoundland
USS S-44 (SS - 155) Overhaul Philadelphia
USS S-45 (SS - 156) Bermuda
USS S-46 (SS - 157) Bermuda
USS S-47 (SS - 158) Argentia, Newfoundland
USS S-48 (SS - 159) New London

% of overall sub force: 33%

Percentage of class in Pacific/PCZ: 57 %

Percentage of class in N & S Atlantic/Caribbean: 43 %

War patrols: 181

Battle stars: 40

Tonnage claimed sunk/destroyed/damaged: 152,000

Number of class lost in WW II: 6 of 37; 16.2 %
Number of men Lost on S boats: 156

Last boat struck: August 25, 1947

Notes: The S boats were the largest submarine class in the fleet at the start of the war and comprised 1/3 of the total submarine fleet. The S class seemed to suffer from running into things. Of the 6 S boats lost in WW II, only one was due to enemy action. Three ran aground, one collided with a USN ship, and the last by accident during a training exercise off the coast of Hawaii.

NEON DEON
10-21-06, 07:21 PM
V Class December 7, 1941:

USS Barracuda V-1 (SS - 163) Enroute New London to Panama
USS Bass V-2 (SS - 164) At Coco Solo, PCZ
USS Bonita V-3 (SS - 165) At Coco Solo, PCZ
USS Argonaut V-4 (SS - 166) On patrol off Midway
USS Narwhal V-5 (SS - 167) Pearl Harbor
USS Nautilus V-6 (SS - 168) Overhaul Mare Island
USS Dolphin V-7 (SS - 169) Pearl Harbor
USS Cachalot V-8 (SS - 170) Pearl Harbor
USS Cuttlefish V-9 (SS - 171) Overhaul Mare Island

% of overall sub force: 8%

Percentage of class in Pacific/PCZ: 100 %

Percentage of class in N & S Atlantic/Caribbean: 0 %

War patrols: 56

Battle stars: 39

Tonnage claimed sunk/destroyed/damaged: 112,974

Number of class lost in WW II: 1 of 9; 11.1 %

Number of men Lost on V boats: 131

Last boat struck: October 24, 1945

Notes: The V boats varied widely in specifications. They ranged from 272 feet in length (Cachalot and Cuttlefish) to 381 feet (Argonaut).

The Big boats Argonaut, Narwhal, and Nautilus were awarded 32 out of 39 battle stars given to the V class during WW II. These boats also carried the biggest guns aboard a U S Navy submarine. Two 6 inch 53 caliber cannons(you can still see the Narwhal's guns on display at the Naval Submarine Base New London, in Groton, Connecticut).

The Nautilus and Narwhal could carry 100 marines and 100 tons of cargo and were used extensively throughout the war for special ops missions: They destroyed an oil depot by gun fire; shelled an enemy airfield diverting attention away from a U S mini-wolf pack thus enabling it to exit the sea of Japan; invaded an enemy held island while destroying it’s garrison by naval gunfire; Raided Maikin island with Marines and supported raid with gun fire while sinking 2 ships in the lagoon again by gun fire; landed scouts in the Aleutians; inserted coast watchers; evacuated VIPs, civilians and POWs; recon missions; re-supplied Philippine rebels; as well as destroying enemy shipping.

marky
01-03-07, 06:00 PM
Add this! -

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d85/mrky84/SQ.jpg

pack ur bags and say good bye to the Japanese fleet!

:up:

marky
01-03-07, 06:03 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d85/mrky84/seaquest2.jpg