PDA

View Full Version : SSN-774 Virginia to replace 668i LA Improved?

XabbaRus
09-10-06, 06:36 AM
I did a quick paint job on my SSN-774 model and chucked it into DW, replacing the 688i model to see how it looks. The good news is that just replacing the 688i model the torp tubes are in the right place and the vls tubes need moving just a little forward.

The masts are in the wrong place though.

Using the sacrifice a vessel technique what do you say to having the Virginia class replace the 688i class?

I would need to make a whole new object in the database though.

I'dd have to pinch a couple fo the Seawolfs station dlls like the sonar and ship control stations though the rest woudl stay the same.

Looks pretty good imho if I say so myself.

awood6535
09-10-06, 03:15 PM
hell that would be cool:rock: Can you post us a pic please? If you want I could mabe do some editing after having it and move the mast to the right space to save you some time. It's all up to you .

aaken
09-11-06, 04:21 AM
I'm all for it. :up:
Would be cool to see a picture or two of your model.

Driftwood
09-11-06, 06:59 AM
Let me get this straight........you will swap out the 688i with a Virginia class boat, using the SW stations............Sounds really cool!:up: But don't forget that several parameters would need to be altered as well. NL's, operating depth, etc.

Pingjockey
09-17-06, 02:52 PM
I would have no problems helping with any technical info. I would love to see the 688 go away....

STS1 Michael Granito
USS Texas SSN-775

XabbaRus
09-17-06, 05:29 PM
Yep and my model at the moment has no moving doors for torp tubes or VLS and I don't know if it is really worth it.

I'll speak to Luftwolf and see if he'd like to do it. It would mean DW would be changed for ever in the Luft mod if he chose to incorporate it.

hyperion2206
09-18-06, 08:52 AM
It would be great to play the Virgina class, but I would hate to lose the 688i model. But I suppose there's no other way to incorporate the Virgina and still keep the 688i?

Dr.Sid
10-16-06, 03:24 PM
All this is forbiden by Sonalyst anyway. No new playables. This is just a hack how to make new playable. I discurage you from doing. New sub would not add much fun anyway.

Driftwood
10-16-06, 05:20 PM
All this is forbiden by Sonalyst anyway. No new playables. This is just a hack how to make new playable. I discurage you from doing. New sub would not add much fun anyway.
So, are you saying that modding a game is just a hack? A lot of game devs (including SCS) encourage modder's in the community to make the game better (by whatever means) because, for financial reasons, they cannot spend more time or money on them.

Molon Labe
10-16-06, 09:40 PM
Well, if it was my call, I'd replace the Seawolf with the Virginia. After all, there are only 3 Seawolves in service. :D

XabbaRus
10-17-06, 03:29 AM
Dr Sid,

Replacing the 688i with the Virginia would be a database hack. This would be acceptable with SCS as it is a zero sum mod. Only the dbase is affected. what SCS are against is a mod where the exe file is altered to allow playables which don't require a sacrifice of an existing playable unit.

DanWilkie
11-14-06, 12:03 PM
I take it from the overtone of this topic, my chances of having the option to replace the OHP with a Type 23 or similar are approximately 0 then :'( You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm new to DW ;) Maybe one day developers will remember the British exist too ;)

Kazuaki Shimazaki II
11-18-06, 02:20 PM
While it might be an inferior fit, I'd sacrifice something else than the 688Is, which will still be the American backbone for a good bit yet. Perhaps you can use one of the two Akula II slots for this instead. Or one of the many Kilo slots. It'd be a bit funny looking for an American sub in a nominally Russian/Chinese slot, but...

tonibamestre
11-30-06, 12:54 PM
Hi Xabbarus,
I read about your SSN Virginia development,and I have to tell that its an important improvement.We all know that Virginia class will replace LA class,but this is going to be made step by step.
If you talk with Aaken,I think he has got the trick to make possible both subs to be controlable,at least is what is doing with the upcoming mod Alfa Tau3,so you can implement the Virginia class with no problem at all.

By the way,when do you expect to get ready this amazing unit? And what about an Ohio SSBN and the converted ones?
Are you going to post it here downloadable?

Cheers and good job.

XabbaRus
12-01-06, 08:19 AM
Hi Xabbarus,
I read about your SSN Virginia development,and I have to tell that its an important improvement.We all know that Virginia class will replace LA class,but this is going to be made step by step.
If you talk with Aaken,I think he has got the trick to make possible both subs to be controlable,at least is what is doing with the upcoming mod Alfa Tau3,so you can implement the Virginia class with no problem at all.

By the way,when do you expect to get ready this amazing unit? And what about an Ohio SSBN and the converted ones?
Are you going to post it here downloadable?

Cheers and good job.

Which is completely against the EULA and the express request of Jamie not to add new playable units. I won't have anything to do with that. Also is Aaken has mannaged to make new playables without sacrificing an existing one, and the only way to do it is by hacking the exe and dlls, he is breaking the law and the trust of SCS.

Yes it was done with SCX, which SCS didn't realise what was going on till it was done. At that time we didn't realise we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing. That is why for DW Jamie expressley forbade us from modding beyond alterations to the database, doctrines and models.

You might moan that since SCS haven't released a package with new playables that it is OK and inevitable for other groups to make them. I disagree. SCS's business plan, flawed as it maybe, required them to make an addon pack should sales of DW suffice. That they havn't doesn't make it ok to go off and do it yourself.

DAB
12-01-06, 08:41 AM
Which is completely against the EULA and the express request of Jamie not to add new playable units. I won't have anything to do with that. Also is Aaken has mannaged to make new playables without sacrificing an existing one, and the only way to do it is by hacking the exe and dlls, he is breaking the law and the trust of SCS.

Yes it was done with SCX, which SCS didn't realise what was going on till it was done. At that time we didn't realise we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing. That is why for DW Jamie expressley forbade us from modding beyond alterations to the database, doctrines and models.

You might moan that since SCS haven't released a package with new playables that it is OK and inevitable for other groups to make them. I disagree. SCS's business plan, flawed as it maybe, required them to make an addon pack should sales of DW suffice. That they havn't doesn't make it ok to go off and do it yourself.

From my understanding, the verbal permission we have been given is actually genuious from a legal point of view. Some publishers are so opposed to mods, there have been soundings in various quarters about punitive measures against people who expand games off their own backs.

Anyways

When you say we have the consent of SCS to mod the database, what exactly are the limits of that modding. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a playable Polish / Iranian / Algerian Kilo. Its not exactly creating a new playable, but I wonder whether its what SCS had in mind?

XabbaRus
12-01-06, 09:27 AM
Using just database modding you can make another playable unit, but at the expense of an existing one. That SCS have no problem with. You would still have the sacrificed units weapons loadouts etc...

To change those you have to hack the EXE and DLLs which is a big no no.

LoBlo
12-08-06, 07:42 PM
Hey XabbaRus. How goes the conversion?

XabbaRus
12-09-06, 03:37 AM
It's not. No time.

Aaken is doing something similar with quite a few subs. He clarified that he is using the sacrifice one playable for another one method. I wish him good luck.

I just hope SCS do release an addon pack at some point.

aaken
12-09-06, 09:11 AM
Yes, I have some 9-10 possible packets with swapped units, Type206A, Type209, Type212A, Agosta90B, Sauro, Toti, Victoria, F100, Maestrale, Mimbelli, Victor3, Lada, Typhoon, and a few others that I don't remember now.

The big question is:
is SCS ever going to release an add-on packet with new units?

I am Back
12-09-06, 10:01 AM
I heard that the Virginias are made to keep the 2 Nuclear Submarine Shipyards Contractors Busy doing something.

LoBlo
12-09-06, 12:06 PM
The big question is:
is SCS ever going to release an add-on packet with new units?

Probably not anytime soon... as in not in the next few years anyway.

Cpt. Stewker
12-12-06, 12:37 AM
I heard that the Virginias are made to keep the 2 Nuclear Submarine Shipyards Contractors Busy doing something.
I am sure that they are being kept busy but... obviously... that is not the reason why they are being made...

The virginias are designed to fill a multi-role position. In this day in age, with no other super power threatening the United States (for the most part, the 1st world countries get along well enough anymore, at least no one has their finger over the nuke button), the need for a new submarine with new roles has arrived.

ASW Jedi
12-13-06, 09:48 AM
I would have no problems helping with any technical info. I would love to see the 688 go away....

STS1 Michael Granito
USS Texas SSN-775

Aww cmon Granito....The Jeff City was good to you don't hate on the 688's now you got your fancy VA!

STG2(SW/SS) Bierly USNR
USS Pogy (SSN-647)
USS Jefferson City (SSN-759_
USS Momsen (DDG-92)

Eagle1_Division
12-29-06, 11:18 AM
Couldn't u sacrifice one of the kilo's instead? there are two... or was it three kilos, the only difference is a chinese accent... so get rid of the russian one!:lol:

Really though, replacing the game's no.1 sub does not sound to great, by my 'hacking' ive added a DeltaIV(bc of good model detail, not Typhoon or Ohio) with kilo sonor stations and 688I Weapon control, and 688I weapons.

You could just do this with a kilo, and ive fixed the annoying 688I voice,*no offense to whoever made that recording*and I love the 688I...

TLAM Strike
01-02-07, 05:10 PM
Well I guess I'm in the minorty here but I kinda don't want the 688(i) to go away. Bye Bye any cold war scenerios. (rember Bill's fantasic Red Storm Rising campgain- there was no Va class boats or even Seawolfs in RSR!)

As for replacing one of the Kilos :o!! All three classes of Kilo are very diffrent boats.

Maybe tack on the Va class to the 688(i) roster? and have a switcher util to change between pure 688(i) interface and the Hybrid SW-688(i) interface? Heck if anything replace the Seawolf.

Eagle1_Division
01-12-07, 10:26 PM
Actually, I was being sort-of dumb when I made that comment, I have 9 different mods+the original(all but 1 I made :D) so i have +9 folders, 1 of them (the one thats activated)is named "database" and the others are named, ex. "database Ohio" "database Delta IV" "database Original" ect., so the very same thing could be done with that... mabye you can make the whole mod accept playable virginia, save it, copy it, and edit the copy to include the virginia, so 1 vers. has it to replace 688I, other just has it as AI. Simple... sorta :lol: .

-and don't 4get to add an AI 688I if the playable is removed;)

LoBlo
01-13-07, 07:56 AM
But even though the VA is the new kid on the block there are still more SWs than VAs in operation and will be for the next few years. And heck the VA really doesn't change the gameplay for a player much. Its core configurations mimick the LA (weapons, armament, speed) with the difference being a sensor upgrade and engine quieting. The SW is sufficiently different a boat to give the player a different feel in terms of speed, diving, armament, etc.

Honestly, I've been playing a VA style sub for a while (I just modified the LA stats to upgrade it to VA quality to simulate its sound and sensor levels) with the only thing lacking being the aesthetics of a 3D model.

How about just adding the sub as a AI platform in the USN inventory?

Well I guess I'm in the minorty here but I kinda don't want the 688(i) to go away. Bye Bye any cold war scenerios. (rember Bill's fantasic Red Storm Rising campgain- there was no Va class boats or even Seawolfs in RSR!)

As for replacing one of the Kilos :o!! All three classes of Kilo are very diffrent boats.

Maybe tack on the Va class to the 688(i) roster? and have a switcher util to change between pure 688(i) interface and the Hybrid SW-688(i) interface? Heck if anything replace the Seawolf.

GrayOwl
01-13-07, 04:55 PM
It is necessary to think.... :hmm:

GrayOwl
01-13-07, 05:29 PM

Very easily if to know as :D :D :cool:

TLAM Strike
02-06-07, 02:55 PM
How about just adding the sub as a AI platform in the USN inventory? Go no problem with that infact I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. ;)

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 03:08 PM
How about just adding the sub as a AI platform in the USN inventory? Go no problem with that infact I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. ;)

That will get put in with the 212/4 and the Lada. :)

Cheers,
David

goldorak
02-06-07, 03:24 PM
No, the 688i still represents the backbone of the US submarine force, and while the Virgina class is the future, right now the very vwery small number of Virginia Subs in real life operation does not warrant such a drastic change in the game.
My .02 €.

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 03:27 PM
No, the 688i still represents the backbone of the US submarine force, and while the Virgina class is the future, right now the very vwery small number of Virginia Subs in real life operation does not warrant such a drastic change in the game.
My .02 €.

Don't worry, the playable 688i isn't going anywhere... that was refering to new AI platforms that we're going to add. The topic of the thread has shifted somewhat. :)

Cheers,
David

goldorak
02-06-07, 03:36 PM
Don't worry, the playable 688i isn't going anywhere... that was refering to new AI platforms that we're going to add. The topic of the thread has shifted somewhat. :)

Cheers,
David

This is great news.
We need a lot of new AI models, with the corresponding 3d models. :cool:

LuftWolf
02-06-07, 03:37 PM
Well, it's much easier to add new AI platforms to the database than to get new 3-d models for them, but we're working on that! :)

Cheers,
David

XabbaRus
02-06-07, 05:32 PM
Well do you have a model of the Virginia?

I did one for something else which is accurate, lets just say I got soem info that one has to dig hard to get.

ASWnut101
02-06-07, 10:07 PM
maby you should only replace the 688 unimproved, which was one of the Virginia's design concepts.

And DONT remove my precious Kilo!!!!:o

P.S. Xabba, do you have any good Delta SSBN Models For a playable platform?:hmm:

LoBlo
02-06-07, 11:06 PM
Well do you have a model of the Virginia?

I did one for something else which is accurate, lets just say I got soem info that one has to dig hard to get.

Why not use the SCXII model. Its good. I've added it to my game and love it. Who modeled and skinned it? They will probably give there consent.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4272/vasv8.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vasv8.jpg)

XabbaRus
02-07-07, 11:27 AM
I did the SCX Seawolf and Mcarm mapped it. I don't mind if people use it.

Thing is I have a MKII Seawolf that has a much more if not completely accurate stern section.

I just need to add the torpedo tubes so they open correctly.

LoBlo
02-07-07, 12:53 PM

Thing is I have a MKII Seawolf that has a much more if not completely accurate stern section.

Awesome!:rock: :yep: :|\\

LoBlo
03-24-07, 03:10 PM

Any update? Heck the model itself would probably be a great improvement to the stock models (and even the SC model). Even if the torp doors don't open, the fact that the correct length, diameter, pumpject, and aft planes are more accurate would more than make most eager to try it out. Any chance it will be released?

lb

Driftwood
04-29-07, 07:17 AM

Any update? Heck the model itself would probably be a great improvement to the stock models (and even the SC model). Even if the torp doors don't open, the fact that the correct length, diameter, pumpject, and aft planes are more accurate would more than make most eager to try it out. Any chance it will be released?

lb

I second that! :yep: It would be great to have an accurate SW model!:up:

Linton
04-29-07, 08:19 AM
Dr Sid,

Replacing the 688i with the Virginia would be a database hack. This would be acceptable with SCS as it is a zero sum mod. Only the dbase is affected. what SCS are against is a mod where the exe file is altered to allow playables which don't require a sacrifice of an existing playable unit.
if this is true I would gladly sacrifice seawolf for a playable trafalgar.

caymanlee
04-30-07, 05:27 AM
AI Virginia, I'd already created and used it for a long time
SCX model, new mast, new thrust, new sonar profile, new launcher and weapons, new sensor, works very well

Controlable Virginia, lately I created it from the SW, all SW exe and dlls, works very well too.

Repalce the 668i??? not an option, against the reality:nope:

Create a new Controlable Virginia with its own exe and dlls, that is what the whole DWer really want, I think:know:

when could we expect the DW team release the add on? it's a hopeless hope:damn:

Only purpose of a game is: Fun!!!!!! if the DW team couldn't fullfill what we need, we shouldn't wait! I say, we DIY:sunny:

GakunGak
04-30-07, 12:46 PM
Again with the new playables......:rotfl:
As for Seawolf vs Virginia, I agree!
But I think the SSN-23 Jimmy Carter is the most advanced sub, but what the hell...
On to virgins, I mean, Virginia's....:doh:

caymanlee
04-30-07, 02:12 PM
Again with the new playables......:rotfl:
As for Seawolf vs Virginia, I agree!
But I think the SSN-23 Jimmy Carter is the most advanced sub, but what the hell...
On to virgins, I mean, Virginia's....:doh:

how can u highlight it's unique tech?? like UAV, anything else?

GakunGak
04-30-07, 03:29 PM
Like more space for seals as she is longer...:arrgh!:

caymanlee
05-01-07, 02:31 AM

I built a new Jimmy Carter which is 138m long, 12139 ton, as the reality

since it use HY130 steel as its Hull material instead of HY100 which those two ex-seawolf used, it should deeper that Seawolf and Connecticut, and its MAD signal should be weaker

Theoretically, the original mod of seawolf suit for the Jimmy Carter, not the Seawolf and Connecticut, whatever

Or someone might interested in building a new mod for Jimmy Cater?

GakunGak
05-01-07, 03:48 AM

I built a new Jimmy Carter which is 138m long, 12139 ton, as the reality

since it use HY130 steel as its Hull material instead of HY100 which those two ex-seawolf used, it should deeper that Seawolf and Connecticut, and its MAD signal should be weaker

Theoretically, the original mod of seawolf suit for the Jimmy Carter, not the Seawolf and Connecticut, whatever

Or someone might interested in building a new mod for Jimmy Cater?
I belive in-game max depth is 1671 feet [not crush depth, but operational], so you belive it could dive to 1800 feet or more?:hmm:
Very good...:up:

caymanlee
05-01-07, 01:19 PM
I believe that. In fact, i set its depth to 2100 feet and reduce its MAD signal. ??Question is how can we add on the MMP(multi-mission platform) that is its unique point!

GakunGak
05-01-07, 01:44 PM
Try asking SCS....

caymanlee
05-02-07, 05:38 AM
Try asking SCS....

:rotfl:

:know:

GakunGak
05-02-07, 08:50 AM
Try asking SCS....

:rotfl:

:know:
I forgot to add: IF THEY REPLY?

TLAM Strike
05-02-07, 11:56 AM
That can simply be done with goals and scripts like in the SEAL mission in SC. (The one agaisnt Iran.)

caymanlee
05-02-07, 08:08 PM
That can simply be done with goals and scripts like in the SEAL mission in SC. (The one agaisnt Iran.)

No need for that, hours test, I create a simulation MMP: launch DSRV from the inside of SSN-23, via building a new SSN23DSRV airstrip slot and modification the DSRVRescue doctrine, turn out great! :rotfl: ;)
now I have a platform can be launched from a controlable sub, with that platform, I can turn it into a SAM station or recon station......

next step: a SAM station, then I can have a submerge anti-aircraft sub, ideal SSN-23 in my mind:lol:

but I find out a bug of the original DSRV:after Akula2 launch the DSRV, she sink!:damn:
according to the doctrine:DSRV left its mother-boat with the speed=mother-boat speed+1 knot

but the speed fo DSRV which akula2 carried in the game is set 3 knot max, when Akula2 lauch it at speed 3 knot, when the DSRV take off, Akula2 sink for no reason

may be the DSRV speed and the DSRV doctrine conflict cause the problem

haven't figure out yet, let you guys know

GakunGak
05-02-07, 09:01 PM
Congrats on a job well done!!!:up: :up: :up:

Reaper51
11-07-07, 11:23 AM
I'd love to have a playable Virginia class! :yep:
So long as it doesn't replace my SSN757 Alexandria.

But doesn't adding a sub to replace an existing playable just mean, you add the SSN-744 VA to replace one LA class hull? If so, that would be great.

Also, would you consider adding more playable subs?
As there are a lot of LA's and kilos that could be sacrificed for more playables.
And I'd really like to see playable Ohio class, and Typhoon class SSBN's in DW.

:up:

Fearless
11-22-07, 06:07 PM
That would be awesome to say the least:up:

Blacklight
01-31-08, 09:35 PM
I think we should keep the 688i's in there and simply add the new Virginia boats to the database so we can toss them into missions. Do we have spec's available for them anywhere ?
In real life, I see the Virginia classes and the 688i's working together. I don't see a full replacement of the 688i any time soon. It would be way too expensive to just scrap the ones we have.

Anyway.. of course, we now need to get the new Virginia boats into DW. :up:

Also, probably the new littoral ships that they're working on too once we get solid specs for them.:up: (Might be interesting going up against those guys because you never know what modular package they may be carying. Do they have the ASW package, the minesweeping package ? etc...)

sonar732
02-01-08, 07:58 AM
I don't see the Viriginia replacing the 688i model either. Look what SCX and SCU did for Sub Command. It allowed us to play those classic missions that went on during the Cold War...for nostagia's sake...even Red Storm Rising did the same.

For the purist, we'd like to continue playing those missions with the 688i because the Seawolf or Virignia hadn't been commsioned yet.

stormrider_sp
02-13-08, 11:33 PM
In my opinion it would be a better deal to replace the seawolf with the new virginia. The Seawolf class was more of an experiment than a real mass production submarine like the LA was or the Virginia is intended to be in near future.

:up:

Stanny
02-14-08, 02:33 AM
In my opinion it would be a better deal to replace the seawolf with the new virginia. The Seawolf class was more of an experiment than a real mass production submarine like the LA was or the Virginia is intended to be in near future.:up:

Seawolf class was not an experiment,actually.It was a submarine,intended entirely for antisubmarine warfare and engagements of large naval surface battlegroups,and little or no role at all was dedicated to land strikes.Eight torpedo tubes and no VLS,extremely silent propulsion system and advanced sensors and combat systems are proving this fact.That was only the extreme cost per unit,that came the actual reason of cancellation of this program,as well as new threats of modern era-no more "Cold war stand-offs" and rising of global terrorism.

That is why Virginia has got VLS again,and just four torpedo tubes.Land strikes with newest versions of Tomahawk will be the primary missions for the new submarine.

However,it is my personal opinion,Seawolf is still far more capable fighter of the deep,than any other submarine in the world.Russians are turning to "Graney" class,copying ideas of Virginia in fact,U.S. is building Virginias,oriented for special operations and land strikes.Only three Seawolf submarines of US NAVY are the most up-to-date antisubmarine-antivessel fighters.

dyshman
06-19-08, 10:28 AM
How about this Virginia? http://ifolder.ru/7037564

Blacklight
06-19-08, 10:43 PM
Nay. No replacement. I love my Seawolf and 688i's !! The Virginia should be added in ADDITION to them.:D