PDA

View Full Version : How about a change of theater for the SH5?

RedMenace
09-09-06, 09:31 PM
Something we havn't done yet, something not done yet at all, I think. How about an Eastern Front submarine sim for SH5? The USSR built a decent naval and submarine force in World War 2, and if IL-2: Sturmovik taught us anything, it's that the Eastern Front never fails to satisfy a gamer.:up:

Torplexed
09-09-06, 11:20 PM
Not to disparge the Red Navy, but it's performance just didn't compare to that of the massive and famous Red Army.

Russia commenced the war with 218 submarines, added another 54, but lost a total of 109 Boats. Like Japan, Soviet submarines had but limited success, and their kills were in no way commensurate with their heavy submarine losses. They sank only 160 ships, many of them small, to total 402,437 tons, (behind even Italy and Japan) and their operations were restricted to the widely separated Baltic and Black Sea areas. They were poorly maintained and lacked modern communications, sonar and even torpedo fire control equipment. Most of the commanders had little initiative or direction from above. In the Baltic in particular, they were shut behind minefields and extensive multiple net barriers and so harried by Axis ASW forces that with the notable exception of the sinking of the German refugee transport Wilhelm Gustloff with heavy loss of life in the waning days of the war they accomplished little.

I have no doubt it would be interesting to some but the East Front wouldn't be my next choice for a WW2 sub simulation.

Wilko
09-10-06, 12:18 AM
Said it before.. give us the Med in Brit boats :arrgh!:

The Noob
09-10-06, 01:52 AM
SH5 Would be good to be a Game were you can Play ALL Sides. :up:

Takeda Shingen
09-10-06, 07:27 AM
How about we deal with SHIV first?

Pants
09-10-06, 08:43 AM
SH5 Would be good to be a Game were you can Play ALL Sides. :up:

Could not agree more :up::up:

Safe-Keeper
09-10-06, 08:45 AM
SH5 Would be good to be a Game were you can Play ALL Sides. :up: So would Silent Hunter IV. As long as they deal out the goods over time, as expansion packs. Releasing everything at once is probably impossible.

TDK1044
09-10-06, 09:39 AM
Until the sales figures are in for SH1V, SHV is just a far off dream.

The Noob
09-10-06, 10:05 AM
Hey, i know that. ;)

But it's Already Clear that Something isn't Going to Happend in SHIV. If it's not in there From the Beginning, it will never be in SHIV. Expansion Packs Would Rule, but you know UBI's Policity Concerning Patches and Add-Ons. "We Got thier Money, now Screw them!".

Pure Capitalism. :shifty:

I don't Believe thier Promises like "We Learned from SHIII, we're Going to Listen to the Community Now!" until i've seen it live.

They Also Like to Hardcode things, so you can't make the Game the Best Subsim of all time (People like the GW or NYGM Team could make a Crappy Open Source Subsim to the best one Ever lol) so they buy the Next Game of the Series. I'm Going to buy SHIV, since i'm Submarine Game Addicted so i don't have a Choice, but it's still not nice.

TDK1044
09-10-06, 10:25 AM
I don't Believe thier Promises like "We Learned from SHIII, we're Going to Listen to the Community Now!" until i've seen it live.

I don't think I ever saw that quote from anyone at Ubisoft. Sure they learnt from SH111, you learn something from every game you develop. A good subsim community like this is good for ideas and feedback, but the decision to develop a new subsim game is entirely based on sales of the previous game. Ubisoft are not going to "listen" to about 3 percent of their purchasers, they'll take into account ideas that are expressed here because there are some very astute people here with interesting ideas and thoughts.

STEED
09-10-06, 12:56 PM
If there is a SH5 how about everyone else the Japanese and British along with well any other country with subs during WW2. :)

Immacolata
09-10-06, 01:17 PM
Pure Capitalism. :shifty:

What did you expect? Pure Philantropism? Semi-Capitalism? Somewhat Benign Capitalism?

Safe-Keeper
09-10-06, 02:31 PM
Expansion packs do make you money, though, don't they?
Yes, I thought so.

Pure Capitalism. :shifty:That's the trend among publishers today. Rushed game, as few patches as possible, lots of mini-expansion packs that add nearly nothing, and a sequel before the year has passed.

Not saying Ubi is like this, but it certainly is the trend among game publishers.

_Seth_
09-10-06, 03:45 PM
SHV (SH5) Should be a game where you could play all sides, just as the people above me suggested. Think about the multiplayer games!! When they release SH5 the technology should be good enogh to implement such freedom af gaming!!!

:D:D

scrapser
09-10-06, 10:40 PM
Personally, I'm hoping something happens with SH3 or even SH4 similar to what happened with Falcon 4.0. The source code was eventually sold to another company that got very involved with the mod community and made an extremely good "Falcon" sim. Perhaps after a few years, UbiSoft will do the same or even form a partnership with some developers to essentially re-release the sim all over again with many improvements and an updated engine. Who knows.

scrapser

The General
09-11-06, 03:02 AM
I think Silent Hunter V should be based on the Nuclear Subs from the late Cold War. I know that's quite a departure from WWII, but I am a fan of the old Red Storm Rising Sim on the C64 (3 Cassettes worth!) and would love to see something based on The Hunt for Red October, the same way SHIII was based on Das Boot.

Before all of that, I'm really looking forward to SHIV.

Kruger
09-11-06, 04:11 AM
Even though I am a huge fan of classic type subs (they have the romance that moderns subs lack), I would also like a modern sub game based on sh3 concept.

Immacolata
09-11-06, 04:16 AM
Im with Kruger. Dangerous Waters went too far, it is so gritty and dull that I never got to play it for very long. For me, it was a waste of money. I do remember playing Red Storm Rising on the Commodore 64, however and found it really exciting.

A new theatre could be interesting. How many times do we want to see the same old submarine war recreated over and over? They might want to do the Atlantic again, but that theatre is well covered by now. Perhaps it is time to set the periscope for the cold war era?

DaMaGe007
09-11-06, 05:57 AM
I think they need to do the atlantic again just to add the stuff they missed out in SH3.

A modern era sub sim would be great if only for the SUB vs SUB action. They would have to do somthing about the ocean floor, reefs ect to make it worthwhile though.
It would also have to be a fictional war since there werent alot of engagements and ship sinking in the cold war, bring on launching nukes at cities or military bases I say... counter attacks would have to be Measured though and not really a realistic situation.

I would love to see them release sh5, 6, 7, and 8 as full price games that stack on eachother adding different nations/theaters from the one interface, bit like what oleg had done, but not as shoddy please :)
(for the oleg lovers dont take this badly I like teh oleg, but the patching and download only expansions are a disgrace and could have been handled much better)
IL2 wasnt successful because it was the eastern front, it was because they made (arguably) the best ww2 flightsim yet. Its a pity it didnt progress from there very fast, Pacific fighters wasnt alot diferent than IL2, the campain was still a bit lackluster imo.