PDA

View Full Version : Only Pearl Harbor command?

Rab09
08-27-06, 06:52 PM
You have to be kidding, only Pearl Harbor command. Lets be real here. Over 50% of war patrols were based out of Brisbane and Fremantle.. How can you have a Pacific sub war without patroling from Brisbane? Then later from Fremantle?? These commands covered about 3 million square miles of ocean. From roughly latitude 10 degrees south to 20 degrees north and from longitude 100 degrees east to 130 degrees east. Seems to me an awfull large chunk of the pacific with coverage.

Torplexed
08-27-06, 07:03 PM
Here's what I read:

SH4 Dev Team: The war will always start with Pearl Harbor, we can’t change that. And so will our campaign. The full list of bases to be included as starting points for player’s campaign sorties is not decided yet.

Subnuts
08-27-06, 07:30 PM
Here's what I read:

SH4 Dev Team: The war will always start with Pearl Harbor, we can’t change that. And so will our campaign. The full list of bases to be included as starting points for player’s campaign sorties is not decided yet.

I'm sure the Dev Team is referring to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Torplexed
08-27-06, 07:36 PM
I'm sure that's what they are referring to as well.

But they also mention they haven't sorted out what the full list of starting point bases are which implies that there will be others.

Steeltrap
08-28-06, 12:09 AM
People should actually READ the interview material....it's hard enough for developers when people don't like what they've actually said without having people inventing stuff! :damn:

It says the WAR starts in Pearl Harbour (not exactly a big surprise) and that they are yet to decide the bases available from which to conduct operations. So I don't know why people think they have to start in Pearl and that the other bases won't be included.....:hmm:

At a guess, you'd think Pearl, Midway and Brisbane will be in at least (Wahoo did a patrol from Pearl to Brisbane then another from Brisbane to Midway in '42, for example). I suppose Manilla should really be there, but then it wasn't available for all that long....

bookworm_020
08-28-06, 02:41 AM
Remember the first sub lost was the Sealion, just hours after Peal Harbour. She was based at Suvla bay I think.

It would be a shame not to have these bases included, as well as forward operating bases that came into effect in late 1944-1945, these reduced traveling time and increased on patrol time for each boat.

Threadfin
08-28-06, 01:20 PM
Suvla Bay, isn't that in Gallipoli? :)

I think maybe you mean Subic Bay, but Sealion was destroyed at Cavite, which is in Manilla Bay.

It's rather amazing how many conclusions can be drawn from so little information. It's nice to see some here aren't jumping off the deep end.

I'd say it's highly likely we'll also have Brisbane and/or Fremantle. Somewhere in that piece they talked about subsowespac. I think Midway is highly likely as well.

Others, like Saipan and Guam maybe less so, but I'd bet my favorite hat that there are more bases in the sim than Pearl.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-28-06, 06:08 PM
Make it like the Med. in SHIII :hmm:

monkee
09-05-06, 07:28 AM
I hope they include Tjilatjap (Indian Ocean) as sub base. It was included in Silent Service 2.

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Tjilatjap.htm

Capt. D
09-05-06, 09:58 AM
[quote=monkee]I hope they include Tjilatjap (Indian Ocean) as sub base. It was included in Silent Service 2.
I must agree that the mention of Pearl is in reference to the Japanese attack and the fact that the US began unrestricted submarine warfare from Dec. 7th. SH had multiple bases e.g. ones in Australia, Midway, Pearl, and I believe that SH4 will incorporate more than just Pearl.

In light of space limitations etc. I would think that they would limit the bases or advance bases (e.g. Guam) to those that held the most importance to the war effort and where the greatest percentage of patrols originated from which should include advance bases as they became avaliable during the course of the war.

In visiting the site indicated for Tjilatjap, there did not seem to be much in the way of US sub operations out of that base, though it is listed as a sub base in most maps of base locations for WWII.

Happy Hunting :ping:

monkee
09-07-06, 04:05 AM
The reason I want Tjilatjap and hopefully the naval base in Surabaya is that it's closer to get to areas like Java sea, Philiphines, Malaca Strait, etc.

Soerabaja Submarinebase
Soerabaja was the main base for the RNN, and perhaps one of the best equipped bases in Asia.

In 1921, work started on the first and only submarinebase in the Netherlands East Indies. In course of the years, the defence of the Netherlands East Indies depemded more and more on these important ships. It is not surprising that, in order to let the operate as effectively as possible, the Navy wanted to provide them with every type of care they needed. Workshops were erected where complex equipment such as dieselengines, periscopes and batteries could be repaired. In addition, two concrete docks were built, specially for the submarines. To accommodate the crews and maintenance personnel of the base, barracks, well suited for the tropical climate, were built. A torpedoworkshop, where torpedoes could be filled with compressed air and armed with warheads was constructed not far away.

When funds became available after 1940, much work was put into making the base even more effective, not only to provide services for the own navy, but also the expected arrival of foreign allies. In addition to the torpedoworkshops available, a new building was constructed where torpedoes could be stored. In December 1941, this building was not completed yet, but it was used for storage for some time.

When the U.S. submariners made use of the base, they were impressed by the service that was given to them and their boats.

DaMaGe007
09-11-06, 07:06 AM
Im a little disapointed that you cant start your career before the war, even if its only 2 patrols before...I would like to have a crack at the carriers or watch the bombing through the scope knowing when and where it would happen. I wonder if the midway battle will be represented I hope so.
I would have liked to have seen the D day force in Sh3 too...pity...

There will almost certinly be other bases you can play from, just having pearl harbour would be an idiotic and suicidal decision by the game designers.

monkee
09-12-06, 01:32 AM
I would have liked to have seen the D day force in Sh3 too...pity...

Same here...but I am not sure if my PC would be able to handle the invasion fleet consisting of 7000 vessels.

DaMaGe007
09-12-06, 02:02 AM
I dont think it needs to be an acurate fleet as far as numbers is concerned, but somthing to represent it would be better than nothing at all. Its not like your going to change the war by attacking it anyway.

It would mean that there is occasionally a fleet enroute to a battle that you bump into, and you know its special not just Convoy A or Task Force A going to and fro.

IL2 doesnt have acurate numbers of planes involved in battles either but they do have missions representing battles, and in a dynamic campain like SH3/4 there is no reason some static battles could not be included at specific dates and times. There is lots of information around for them to work from.

EDIT:
I think it would really show that the developers are trying to impress us with the level of detail in the campain, I was quite impressed that SH3 had the swan river moddled and you could sail up it, even tho there was no reason to go to Australia in SH3