PDA

View Full Version : "I want accurate damage reports!"

Safe-Keeper
08-03-06, 04:29 PM
I posted this in the Suggestions forum, but I thought it deserved its own thread:

2. Damage reports on higher difficulty levels.
a. I should not instantly know the status of my entire boat just after it's taken damage. It should take some time for my officers to ascertain and report what damage has been taken, then I get the reports coming in.
b. Damage report should be estimated, not 100% precise. No engineer in reality is able to immediately estimate how long it takes to repair something as accurately as my crew does ("exactly three minutes and fourty-seven seconds, skipper!").
So on higher difficulty levels, it'd happen like this:
You're 40 metres below the surface, getting blasted by depth charges, and go to your Damage Control/Crew Management screen (or the "F7 Screen").

All compartments show as undamaged, but all compartments other than the command centre reads "Damage Report Pending" on the compartments themselves and all sub-systems. After a while, someone yells "Diesel engines leaking fuel!" and "Flooding in engine compartment, skipper!", and the Diesel Engine Compartment turns yellow and the flooding animation comes on. The Fuel Tank sub-system changes to "Leaking" (and, just to add to the experience, let's say there's an actually simulated fuel leak too, which further adds to the threat of fire on board!).

I think that this'd greatly add to the game immersion and challenge. It'd also, of course, be a realism option candidate.

Wilko
08-04-06, 02:33 AM
Love it, that would be good as you slowly get all these disasters piling up on you

catar M
08-04-06, 06:12 AM
Great idea m8, that would be cool:up:

The General
08-05-06, 06:01 AM
I like your ideas about the animated flooding. The water and gas leaks in the SH3 Control Room were nice touches. Personally I'd like to have it so you can roam freely around the sub, like a first-person shooter and see the various compartments filling with water or on fire etc. Have a fully animated crew too, who run around bumping into each other and stuff. Think of the programming difficulties, of getting the collision detection right, having all this going on inside a pitching, rolling sub?

By the way, when you dove or surfaced in SH3, doesn't the interior tilt the wrong way? That always bothered me.

:rock:

Sailor Steve
08-05-06, 10:51 AM
By the way, when you dove or surfaced in SH3, doesn't the interior tilt the wrong way? That always bothered me.

:rock:
See my answer in the other thread.

Safe-Keeper
08-05-06, 11:11 AM
Imagine sending a repair team forward towards the forward torpedo room and then getting a report about the diesel compartment being in even worse shape? Unless, of course, the crew teleports like in Silent Hunter III:p.I like your ideas about the animated flooding. The water and gas leaks in the SH3 Control Room were nice touches. Personally I'd like to have it so you can roam freely around the sub, like a first-person shooter and see the various compartments filling with water or on fire etc. Have a fully animated crew too, who run around bumping into each other and stuff. Think of the programming difficulties, of getting the collision detection right, having all this going on inside a pitching, rolling sub?

By the way, when you dove or surfaced in SH3, doesn't the interior tilt the wrong way? That always bothered me. All that's off-topic, really. I meant animated flooding in the "F7 screen", like in Silent Hunter.

djdemo
08-05-06, 11:30 AM
Think of the programming difficulties, of getting the collision detection right, having all this going on inside a pitching, rolling sub?

Do it like that B-17 game where the crew have fixed animations - that way you avoid AI or collision problems, you just have a number of animations, such as people running through the bridge during attacks, or walking around doing little jobs on the sub that crop up from time to time - adds atmosphere.

Fore me, seeing the crew doing stuff in SHIII was amazing - and to see medals appear on their chest etc - helps immerse you in what appears to be a living breathing U-Boat.

I'd love to see more of this in the US fleet boats - more voices, more people repeating your commands "Surface the boat aye captaion" "15 degrees on the dive planes" etc etc.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-06-06, 05:08 PM
well if there was any major dammage like flooding or fire for example that should come imeadly.:hmm:

Safe-Keeper
08-06-06, 06:32 PM
well if there was any major dammage like flooding or fire for example that should come imeadly.Not necessarily. If it happened all the way back in the aft torpedo compartment, you wouldn't know it instantly - only when they reported it to you.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-06-06, 06:54 PM
well if there was any major dammage like flooding or fire for example that should come imeadly.Not necessarily. If it happened all the way back in the aft torpedo compartment, you wouldn't know it instantly - only when they reported it to you.
But it should come quick enough.

Steeltrap
08-07-06, 07:37 PM
But it should come quick enough.

I should think more than quickly enough if you happened to be IN the compartment concerned.....:rotfl: