PDA

View Full Version : Ports of Call

torpcatcher
08-02-06, 09:02 PM
I know that this might not be appropriate for this forum but.

I just found website for game Ports of Call a well known sea trading game from PC, Amiga platforms. It’s a classic and I know that many people have played the game or heard about it. Well, I was looking for the game (the classic version of it) and I found the new POC website. The POC got total make over and was seriously updated it even contains 3d ship sim!!!

The simulator part puts you in charge of a ship with challenging task of steering the ship out of the pier and out of the port and vice versa. You can also encounter different challenges like steering the ship through icebergs fields and reefs.

Here is the link to the game you can download the demo version for free. The game will last only 2 hrs. <comment removed as it goes against our acceptable use policy>

So for all of you sea dogs and merchant sim fans here she comes…..

http://www.portsofcall.de/

GlowwormGuy
08-03-06, 12:54 AM
Though it can get repetitive. I hope they can expand it a bit. It would be nice to have a shipping company that you can helm through periods like the great age of liners and the blue ribband, 'designing' your ships as new technology becomes available (coal to oil, swimming pools, container vans), the option to hire ships out to the government during wartime (and sailing in convoys!) or - like what was rumored with the Lusitania - carrying dangerous wartime cargo even if you're a 'neutral' ship.

I guess the game I'm thinking of is the old game ZEPPELIN which is somewhat similar (except you got airships instead of well, ships) but you could research techs, improve your individual craft for comfort, speed, amenities, etc. and there was a historical thing going with major dates being marked and possibly affecting travel, cargo and passengers.

Still the game has some limited modding capacity :yep:

Cheers,
Mountbatten