PDA

View Full Version : About the recent SH4 poll..

ME$$ENGER
07-29-06, 10:08 PM
I am not so sure if this belongs here. If not, please move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.

I just completed the SH4 poll, and everything was fine until I attempted to select my nationality. I scrolled down a bit....lo and behold, "Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China. Before you jump the wagon and shout "keep politics out of this place" I shall inform you that it's not politics, it's a fact. If Taiwan is a province of China already why the hell are they still talking about unification? Even Hong Kong, which is ACTUALLY part of China, doesn't receive this kind of special treatment. This is a balant misrepresentation of the situation and has indeed insulted me and possibly other Taiwanese as well if there are any. I hope this is simply a technical problem and I'd like to see it remedied. I am not suggesting anyone to put "Taiwan, an independent state" there. I am only asking that the choice of word being neutral and factual (ie: Republic of China or simply, Taiwan, would suffice).

I know this is a rather strongly worded post. However, I'm sure you can understand the extreme rudeness if I put "Israel, part of Palestine" there. As players here often deal with matters of historical significance, I think that neutrality and objectivity should be an integral rule of conduct, both to the usual forum goers and the administration alike. Sorry if I sound like nagging, but this is an important issue to me and I want to make sure it won't happen to anyone else, no matter what nationality.

Onkel Neal
07-29-06, 11:14 PM
I am not so sure if this belongs here. If not, please move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.

I just completed the SH4 poll, and everything was fine until I attempted to select my nationality. I scrolled down a bit....lo and behold, "Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China. Before you jump the wagon and shout "keep politics out of this place" I shall inform you that it's not politics, it's a fact. If Taiwan is a province of China already why the hell are they still talking about unification? Even Hong Kong, which is ACTUALLY part of China, doesn't receive this kind of special treatment. This is a balant misrepresentation of the situation and has indeed insulted me and possibly other Taiwanese as well if there are any. I hope this is simply a technical problem and I'd like to see it remedied. I am not suggesting anyone to put "Taiwan, an independent state" there. I am only asking that the choice of word being neutral and factual (ie: Republic of China or simply, Taiwan, would suffice).

I know this is a rather strongly worded post. However, I'm sure you can understand the extreme rudeness if I put "Israel, part of Palestine" there. As players here often deal with matters of historical significance, I think that neutrality and objectivity should be an integral rule of conduct, both to the usual forum goers and the administration alike. Sorry if I sound like nagging, but this is an important issue to me and I want to make sure it won't happen to anyone else, no matter what nationality.

Ah, you are right. :oops: Very sorry, I grabbed that list of nations from the index, didn't look at all of them that closely. I apologize for the mistake, I will change that.

Neal

ME$$ENGER
07-29-06, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad it's just a simple oversight with no particular intent. :up:

Drebbel
07-30-06, 04:05 AM
"Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China.

As far as I know China still sees Taiwan as an unfaithfull province. So I guess Neal has more Chinese blood in him then we all think he has :D

STEED
07-30-06, 09:20 AM
Neal, your two emails were a day late, I took the SH4 poll the day before. :D

Onkel Neal
07-30-06, 10:01 PM
"Taiwan, Province of China". WTF? Last time I checked Taiwan is NOT a province of China.

As far as I know China still sees Taiwan as an unfaithfull province. So I guess Neal has more Chinese blood in him then we all think he has :D

I'm not going to p$ss that guy off, I changed it ;)

Onkel Neal
07-30-06, 10:01 PM
Neal, your two emails were a day late, I took the SH4 poll the day before. :D

No problem, and remember, this isn't like voting in Chicago or Florida, only vote once :)