PDA

View Full Version : Crew Rotation

fullmetaledges
07-21-06, 02:51 AM
In the book silent running I have read, it was said that after every patrol a bunch of the crewman would be transfered to new boats out of the shipyards or to other boats, do any of you think this would be good to implement in sh4?

Wilko
07-21-06, 03:56 AM
dunno on that, using SH3cmdr 2.6 you get suggestions to let your officers go once they build up experiance but I don't anymore cause I want a good crew but if I was to be true to what happend I spose I should.

Be alright if when you got replacements they were a mixed bunch as well and not all just noobs to be blooded :arrgh!:

fullmetaledges
07-21-06, 04:20 AM
They sent the veterans to new subs out of the shipyards and in return you got green replacements, I can see how it might be annoying becauase you want a good crew but as with the annoying early war torpedoes they both happened.

Wilko
07-21-06, 04:27 AM
Yes and like I said if I was to be true then yep I'd accept that, what about as a option :hmm: out of interest how long did the average guy stay with a boat, a couple of patrols or just one.

fullmetaledges
07-21-06, 04:33 AM
as an option, I didn't think about that, thats a good idea. I'm not sure for the whole sub service but in this book I read, they were with on a few patrols. The guy writing the book did all his patrols on the same boat and by the end of the war I think everyone had replaced from the original crew but him.

Wilko
07-21-06, 04:41 AM
Yep, I like the idea that we have it as a option, and that maybe after a random 2 or 3 patrols your crewman rotates off, with that and any casualties you should end up with a mix of newbs and experianced hands :up:

Safe-Keeper
07-21-06, 07:36 AM
Works well enough in SH3 Commander.

Rosencrantz
07-22-06, 03:26 AM
Well, if we are talking about SHIV/USN then I think after few months of war the somehow regular rotation system was introduced. I think at least for a while 1/3 of the crew was replaced after the patrol and replaced men were then ordered to be in service in the base, they got some free time and finally they got an order to report on board of some another boat. E. Beach is telling something about the system in one of his books. Even the story is just fiction, Beach served on board of USN boat as an officer so I think the information is quite accurate.

In German navy there wasn't equal system.

Greetings,
-RC-

Sailor Steve
07-22-06, 11:00 AM
Works well enough in SH3 Commander.
As Rosencrantz said, it wasn't one or two guys as with SH3 Commander, it was one third of the crew. The idea was to make sure new boats got some experienced hands.

Rosencrantz
07-22-06, 06:02 PM
And maybe there was also at least one other major reason for a rotation: Battle stress. If I'm right, 2 - 3 months patrol was more than a rule between the USN boats. Then let's say about a month in the base before the next patrol. This means: 1/3 rotation crew member will complete 2 missions and about 6 months on the sea before "on shore post". After six months on the front in the crowded sub it's not a bad idea for a "little rest" in the base. I'm not sure if the rotation system was equal with the men and the officers, but if I'm right also captains were included into the system - someway or another.

In SHIII I use to "release" some of my men after a period. In RL there wasn't any rules for that in German navy, so I think men served much more longer times in the same boat than their US counterparts did in the Pac. Often I also release men if they are to be promoted but there is not "vacansies" in the boat.

-RC-

Wilko
07-22-06, 08:31 PM
What would be kinda cool is that when you train up Joe Wonder as a top notch XO you "release" him, when you get back or during your next patrol you get a message saying Joe Wonder has been assigned command of USS Pogey and maybe later on you see something about Joe Wonder and Pogey sinking 20 000 tnns of shipping and been awarded a medal

Give you a bit of satisfaction knowing you trained him and now he is out there making a difference. Now with SHIII when you "release" your top notch officers all you are doing is deleting them from your game...