PDA

View Full Version : On-line Ranking?

Safe-Keeper
07-06-06, 12:41 AM
First of all (everyone's deliberately going to miss this, as usual, but...:roll:):
DON'T CHOOSE OPTION 1 OR 8 UNLESS YOU MEAN YOU'RE GOING TO NOT PLAY MP IF [...]! THEY'RE NOT FOR UNDERLINING YOUR OPINION.

OK, task at hand:

Definite no here. Reasons:1. Too easy to exploit by signing up with a new name or some other cheap trick - no matter what measures the developers take.

2a. Encourages every-man-for-himself tactics and ego-centric play (ever notice how games with on-line stats have a higher percentage of "points-whoring"? I have).

2b. Likewise, it encourages cheating, hacking, and other very questionable practices already more than common enough on the Web.

3. I see no good reason to turn what what will most likely be intended to be a team game into a contest of individual skill [read: amount of spare time invested on playing:p].

As an example: If football recorded the number of times you scored rather than the number of times the team scored and declared individuals winners rather than whole teams, would players still pass the ball to team-mates as often as they currently do? I.. some..how.... doubt.. it slightly.
That's the main reasons, and I'm sure there are others I just haven't thought of yet.

On-line rankings sound good on the surface. Sure, it looks cool to have this chart showing thousands of players from around the world, complete with cute-to-idiotic nick-names and a tiny national flag demonstrating how [insert country]'s players dominate submarine warfare. And it might be fun to "climb the ladder", moving from 39 483th place to 39 476th place in [time span].

But below the surface, it's a bad idea. The cons outweigh the pros by far.

PS: I know there are three options for and four against. Don't tell me. Everyone makes mistakes.