PDA

View Full Version : Depth of the single-player missions

Safe-Keeper
07-03-06, 06:31 PM
Am I the only one who would want single-player missions, at least some of them, to be a bit more complicated? I'm not just talking about adding more historical information to them (not that the short descriptions should go, they were great -excellent and dramtic, every single one!). I'm talking about making them a bit more complicated, open-ended, and long-lasting. Most of them are just variations of "OK, you're near the enemy. Destroy that target and you're done!".

This shouldn't be done with all of the missions, of course. To use Silent Hunter III as an example, "U-505" has to start off with you surrounded by destroyers and in a position to attempt to sink the enemy carrier.

However, some of them could've done with a bit of extra depth and open-ended-ness. For example, I once made a mission where you started off with a "Reach Zone AA##/Patrol zone AA## for 24 Hrs." order, and then, five hours after reaching the area, you're ordered to proceed through the English Channel and hunt an inbound Allied convoy. The first two objectives are marked as "Complete", and your new objective is "Reach grid [south of Channel] and surface to receive new orders". Once you do that, you receive information on the convoy and orders to intercept it and sink so and so many tonnes of shipping.

Who else than me want some deep and long-lasting missions like this one (and let me add that if the Silent Hunter IV editor is given some more functions, the mission detailed above could be nothing compared to what might be). Make them open-ended, dynamic to some degree, and a bit longer than one minute. As I said, I'd like to see missions that aren't just some variation of "OK, you're in a good, decent, or terrible firing position. Sink that target, then you're done!".Safe-Keeper
PS: Anyone else than me played Empires: DOTW? That's the kind of open-ended, good, dynamic missions I'd like. The campaigns in that game were great.

JU_88
07-04-06, 11:56 AM
No, you are not the only one, for all the wonders and longetivity a dynamic campaign gives us - "Patrol grid XXXX for 24 hours" every time does get tedious, to be honest in SH3 you make your own missions up - e.g This patrol i will raid Scapa, next patrol I will hunt for an arctic convoy etc.

I would like some random mission orders embedded in to the campaign. You caould simply recieve these orders at random while on a patrol via radio, they shouldnt be obligatry, (you can ignore them with out being penalised)

Rescue missions - pick up pilots and other seamen from fallen vessels and aircraft.

Resupply/aid other submaines - (they should have a feature to allow us to trade supplies and ammo with friendly subs)

Special missions should also be offered or assigned to you at random -before you set out for a patrol. These could include:

Transport cargo material or persons to certain destinations.

Mine laying in enemy ports/dockyards and coastal areas where traffic is high.

Reconnisance.

These would be very easy to incorperate, and would spice up patrols. The palyer should be rewarded with renown and or medals for completing any of these special/secondary objectives.

I alway thought some small land targets would be nice, like coastal radar installations or fuel depots would make nice deck gun targets. Not ideal as specific mission orders - but just for oppotunist reasons, though you should be rewarded with renown, medels (or whatever) for any land targets you attack.

Safe-Keeper
07-04-06, 12:23 PM
I was talking about single single-player missions (like "Narvik", "U-505", "Happy Times", etc.), not single campaign missions. But good post nonetheless.

nikimcbee
07-17-06, 02:18 AM
Did any of you guys play SH1?:ping: The commander's edition, you could go on special missions.:up: