PDA

View Full Version : What ever you do - DON'T do this

Drebbel
07-02-06, 05:10 PM
Not all of you might be aware that this forum has several skins. Most of you are probably using the SmartDaft skin, but many are also using the LazyBlue skin.

Since most are using the SmartDaft skin, which has a dark back ground, they do not realize that text posted in a light color is barely readable by many users. See the examples below:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2347/jjgfjkfhh7ko.png

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9864/35635533xs5.png

So if you want all people to be able to read your post in a normal way then please stop using light text colors like blue, yellow, white, etcetera. Just type the text and leave it as it is, then the forum software will make sure every one can read your message.

And if you really want to change the text color then please change the skin before posting. So you can check if others will be able to read your message. A skin can be easily changed using the User CP (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/usercp.php) , but the fastest way for a quick check is the pull down menu in the bottom left corner of each forum page.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/664/7548949ck.png

Drebbel

PS: I mainly started this thread because I was getting fed up sending people private messages about it :D

Onkel Neal
07-03-06, 10:39 AM
I think this is always going to be a problem as long as we have three styles. People like to have their favorite style, but the forum program has no way of making a universal text area color and a universal text color across all styles.

Onkel Neal
07-03-06, 10:41 AM
..and that's SmartDark theme, lol. You and Gizzmoe are the only ones using it :D

Drebbel
07-03-06, 11:06 AM
but the forum program has no way of making a universal text area color and a universal text color across all styles.

YES the program does ! Just do not add any text color to you message, leave it alone, and every one can read your post. :p

NEON DEON
07-04-06, 06:36 PM
Oh boy I am famous! :up: ;)

Or infamous. :down: ;)

How ever you want to look at it.:sunny:

Sailor Steve
07-31-06, 09:09 PM
Well, gee, Drebbel, maybe some of you don't realize that black text is very hard to read for us SmartDark users.:p

Drebbel
08-01-06, 03:49 AM
Well, gee, Drebbel, maybe some of you don't realize that black text is very hard to read for us SmartDark users.:p

:lol:

That is why one should simply never change the text colour. Just type your text and let the forum software handle the colour.

Playing with crayons and colours is for kids anyway :D

nikimcbee
10-01-06, 12:24 PM
I didn't know we had beauty choices for subsim... Mine is set on plain-ol-gray- and it's fuel oil scented:rock:

Palindromeria
10-05-06, 05:40 AM
Hello .
Please stop using such dark colors and large fonts as they dont work well with the smartdark background IMHO.
pal

Drebbel
10-05-06, 10:15 AM
Hello .
Please stop using such dark colors and large fonts as they dont work well with the smartdark background IMHO.
pal

Maybe you should set the example. Writing unreadable nessages is not the best way to get the message across :-)
Any screenies available to show us what you mean ?

Palindromeria
10-06-06, 01:54 AM
do i take screenies of peoples fonts so i can upload them to a
website so i can then mirror them back here :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

no i dont

i would rather not be a part that particular hobby club

but thanks for the offer
and
for the insight with regard to my boardstyle color font
and lack of punctuation choices

Drebbel
10-06-06, 02:49 AM
Thanks for posting another message that can not be read by many people.

These forums are to communicate, so why not tell eachother when there is a communication problem ?

This thread is not at all a negative thread. Whenever I write people a PM that their posting style might cause a problem I also tell them to feel free to keep posting like that.

Hopefully you will find a hobby club of your choice soon, hopefully one where the people are able to read white text on a white background.

Palindromeria
10-06-06, 12:27 PM
PS: I mainly started this thread because I was getting fed up sending people private messages about it

These forums are to communicate, so why not tell eachother when there is a communication problem ?

ok , apparently you and i have a small communication problem

if such a topic is thread-worthy to begin with, one could set up a thread
that simply educates people about the different styles themselves.

You , on the other hand , choose to take pictures of peoples posts, single them out, and call them children.

so dont preach to me about how i should set the example.

i did so, by merely being jocular in the 1st place.

Drebbel
10-07-06, 03:25 AM
Never realized that subsimmers would feel like children and think they where being singled out. But I have been wrong before.

So I deleted the screenies. I am not too big to change things for the better of the community and protect the fragile submariner egos :-).

Now hopefully you don't feel too big to stop your childish behaviour.

Drebbel
10-07-06, 07:48 AM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9361/5464655oj1.png

Palindromeria
10-07-06, 01:01 PM
Never realized that subsimmers would feel like children and think they where being singled out. But I have been wrong before.

So I deleted the screenies. I am not too big to change things for the better of the community and protect the fragile submariner egos :-).

Now hopefully you don't feel too big to stop your childish behaviour.

I have no right to deny you your bliss.

If taking pictures of peoples posts in order to publicly critique their color choices is what gets you off - i think you should knock yourself out. Literally.

you can accomplish this by merely attempting to step down from the pedestal youve placed yourself on.

buh bye

Drebbel
10-08-06, 01:01 AM
Thanks for being such a great guy !

I always appreciate your warm welcome.