PDA

View Full Version : SH4 feature or add on?

r_wagner
06-06-06, 03:59 PM
Apologies if this has been covered before.

I've played sh3 for a while and it is a truly great game, with mods it's excellent. The thing about sh3 is that it is brimming of potential, potential to be something huge, especially with the combined work of modders and developers.

I therefore wonder if it will at all be possible to make the next game a multi-theatre game in the way that the stock version will be pacific as already established, BUT generically programmed and customizable so that

1) an official Atlantic theatre version can be released

OR

2) an unofficial Atlantic theatre version can be created through large scale mods (like GW, NYGM, RUB, AOTD...)

There are obviously mixed opinions about which theatre is preferable, so why not make 'em both? I for one do not mind waiting an extra six months to a year if it means a more complete game...

Any thoughts?

Sailor Steve
06-06-06, 04:47 PM
They've already made an Atlantic theater game. From all I've heard, SHIV will be pretty much the same, but in the new ocean. Of course if they're going to fix a lot of things, I would prefer to see them re-released as a 'fixed' version: SHIII Commander's Edition.

Kapitan_Phillips
06-06-06, 06:34 PM
I think the dev's should work closely with the major modders throughout the process of game development. Just a personal opinion, but I think that'd make the game more complete because it has had the input of the players - not to say that Ubi doesnt listen to us, but it'd be nice to see them actually asking for input

Drebbel
06-07-06, 04:52 AM
I think the dev's should work closely with the major modders throughout the process of game development. Just a personal opinion, but I think that'd make the game more complete because it has had the input of the players - not to say that Ubi doesnt listen to us, but it'd be nice to see them actually asking for input

Asking for input, I think they already have enough wishes and complaints posted in the SHIII and SHIV forums. :D

Remember that UBI will also probably have a beta test that includes members of the community, as was done with the SHIII 1.4 patch

Highbury
06-17-06, 01:01 PM
Apologies if this has been covered before.

I've played sh3 for a while and it is a truly great game, with mods it's excellent. The thing about sh3 is that it is brimming of potential, potential to be something huge, especially with the combined work of modders and developers.

I therefore wonder if it will at all be possible to make the next game a multi-theatre game in the way that the stock version will be pacific as already established, BUT generically programmed and customizable so that

1) an official Atlantic theatre version can be released

OR

2) an unofficial Atlantic theatre version can be created through large scale mods (like GW, NYGM, RUB, AOTD...)

There are obviously mixed opinions about which theatre is preferable, so why not make 'em both? I for one do not mind waiting an extra six months to a year if it means a more complete game...

Any thoughts?

I doubt there will be any 'official' Atlantic add-on.

I hope that people will be able to mod one but that would be a massive undertaking.

I pray that SHIII mods escalate to an amazing level beyond what we can imagine now so it will be easier to hold off until SHV (assuming it will be back in the Atlantic) and not have to cave in and play in the Pacific.

(Still very bitter about SHIV going back to the Pacific :roll: )

Sailor Steve
06-18-06, 03:24 PM
I doubt there will be any 'official' Atlantic add-on.

I hope that people will be able to mod one but that would be a massive undertaking.

I pray that SHIII mods escalate to an amazing level beyond what we can imagine now so it will be easier to hold off until SHV (assuming it will be back in the Atlantic) and not have to cave in and play in the Pacific.

(Still very bitter about SHIV going back to the Pacific :roll: )
Since it looks like SHIV is going to be SHIII in the Pacific, what would be the point of an Atlantic add-on? It would be the same game we already play.

Hopefully any SHIII problems they fix for SHIV will be made available as retroactive fixes for SHIII.

Why would you have to cave in and play in the Pacific? SHIII is still very much a wonderful sim. I play it all the time and still think it's great.

Also, If SHIV were to be in the Atlantic, what would you expect to be different? A whole new engine this soon?