PDA

View Full Version : K. I. A. = _________

Safe-Keeper
05-16-06, 01:49 PM
In Uplink by Introvision (awesome puzzle/sim/RPG title), if you got caught by the feds or the organizations you hacked into and received jailtime and a computer ban, you had to start all over again as the game didn't let you load earlier saves when you were busted.

I got to thinking: Shouldn't this be a realism/challenge setting in Silent Hunter IV (I say challenge setting because several of the difficulty options in Silent Hunter III were not realistic ;) )?

In other words, when you activate this option and a destroyer sinks you, it's over, period. No re-loading from the last save and undoing your mistake. Your data's entered into the Hall of Fame which I hope will be in the game, and you have to start over again from scratch.

Of course, like every other thing in the game, this one can be exploited (by copying your Career folder, for example). This can be safe-guarded to a degree, but every safe-guard can be penetrated. Still, I think it's a good idea.

Another realism option could let you continue playing after death, but with some sort of penalty, like a loss of all your renown points. What do you think?

S-K
(This should apply to other things, too. There should be some way of preventing people from loading a saved game to try an attack on a convoy or task force over again, for example.)

Threadfin
05-17-06, 09:03 AM
I play dead is dead. If I get sunk, career over. Some players want to reload. Fine with me. As long as both options are available so everyone's happy. I don't see why we need the game to force it one way or the other. Even though I could continue in SH3, I choose not to. No big deal.

Agree on the Hall of Fame though :up:

Threadfin
05-17-06, 05:14 PM
And FWIW, I hope renown in SH4 is for one thing, crew. The better your performance, the more sailors want to get on your boat, so you get the pick of the best.

In the US submarine force new installations should be a matter of course, not obtained due to reputation. My boat getting a 4 inch to replace the 3 inch should be more the result of a timeline, not whether I have renown IMO.

Refits in Mare Island, yeah :)

DeepSix
05-17-06, 06:20 PM
...In the US submarine force new installations should be a matter of course, not obtained due to reputation. My boat getting a 4 inch to replace the 3 inch should be more the result of a timeline, not whether I have renown IMO.

Yeah! :yep:

Refits in Mare Island, yeah :)

Heck yeah! :rock:

Keelbuster
05-17-06, 06:38 PM
I think that's a cool idea - but - if it's as crashy/buggy/TCy as SH3, sometimes you want to go back on a death for technical reasons. If they can make an uber-solid game that _cannot_ crash for any reason on my machine, then i would check the DiD checkbox. Then again, what about when a fire alarm pulls you out of your apartment without a save and the DDs smoke you? Sometimes yer killed, but not Dead is Dead.

Kb

Threadfin
05-18-06, 09:56 AM
I should have said overhauls in Mare Island. Refits are done at base, overhauls in Navy Yard, my mistake.

cmdrk
05-18-06, 12:34 PM
Most US Subs had hardpoints fore and aft for the gun mount. I would like the choice in gun location.

Safe-Keeper
05-19-06, 04:53 AM
I think that's a cool idea - but - if it's as crashy/buggy/TCy as SH3, sometimes you want to go back on a death for technical reasons. If they can make an uber-solid game that _cannot_ crash for any reason on my machine, then i would check the DiD checkbox. Then again, what about when a fire alarm pulls you out of your apartment without a save and the DDs smoke you? Sometimes yer killed, but not Dead is Dead.
I know what you mean, and it's a good point. I had a few episodes where I was cruising along at x4000+ time compression, and suddenly I get a Destroyer sighting, and due to lag that damned time compression doesn't sink to x1 until I'm litterally side-by-side with the damned British warship, making some nice scratches in her paint-job with a grinding sound as she pounds me happily with her cannons. Result?

K. I. A.

Other examples include hitting 'D' ('Dive') accidentally at full Time Compression and instantly diving to crush depth, the game crashing... I could go on and on.

TangoShadow
05-23-06, 03:30 PM
Hi,

hehehe!! I'll have to oput a guard over the "d" key so that doesn't happen to me! :D

--TangoShadow

squigian
05-23-06, 03:57 PM
The trick to Uplink was never to take on the annoyingly hard 'Ruin A Life' missions (you get caught quite randomly). And I did back up my save files. It should be an option, so that people can decide on what is best for them.

Another thing that I find annoying is having to have every option enabled to get full renown. 80% should be the cut-off point, after which renown gets a boost of 120% at 100% realism. I need the cameras so that I can watch my hits in all their cinematic glory! :o

Safe-Keeper
05-24-06, 03:32 PM
I need the cameras so that I can watch my hits in all their cinematic glory!
Game Recording Feature "for teh wineth!".