PDA

View Full Version : Bring the model into the game?

Nexus7
05-13-06, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

I did play a little with 3dsmax and built a very raw model of a generic submarine.

Have been looking around a little for some documentation on how to proceed to apply mods to DW , for example how to take my model into DW, but no success :(

can someone please forward me to some existing documentation on how to bring a self-made model to work into the game and what the pre-requisites are? If you explain it right here I don't mind also (of course) :D

Thanks, Nexus7

Fish
05-13-06, 07:40 AM
Perhaps Xabbarus should write a manual?

Nexus7
06-28-06, 07:39 AM
Anyone? :roll:

LuftWolf
06-28-06, 08:33 AM
I specifically don't know... anything to do with graphics has to be explained to me slowly using small words...

XabbaRus
06-28-06, 10:41 AM
Don't you mean using big words? :)

OK, I'll write something this weekend on how to get a model into the sim.

Sulikate
06-28-06, 07:01 PM
Don't you mean using big words? :)

OK, I'll write something this weekend on how to get a model into the sim.
Cool.

Nexus7
06-29-06, 02:20 PM
In the meanwhile I got an answer on how it goes. Here a simple to follow receipt.

Hello,

to put the model in the game you need to modify the database.
To do that there is DWDBEdit by JSteed (you can download it at subguru.com in the download section).
This program contains an executable file called ReadWriteDWDB.exe ore something like that. Put this executable in the Database folder of DW (/program files/sonalyst/dangerous zaters/database).
This file allows you to 'translate' the database in normal text files and to translate back the text files into database files.
To do that :
1) open dos prompt;
2) with the dos prompt go in the DW database directory (/program files/sonalyst/dangerous zaters/database);
3) type ' ReadWriteDWDB.exe export object.eod' then press enter. This command will generate some txt files that are the 'translation' of the database.
4) the models for each unit are specified in 3dobject.txt file. You can either modify one existing unit model by editing the name of the j3d file specified in that file or create new units. New units cannot be made drivable so if you want to drive with your new model you have to edit the j3d file name of one of the drivable units (i.e. Kilo, SW etc).
5) at this point, once you have edited the 3dobject.txt file inserting your j3d, you have to type (from dos prompt, DW database directory) ReadWriteDWDB.exe import object.eod'. This command will put your modifications in the database files read by the game.

Now you have just specified in the database that a certain unit is linked to a certain j3d file. You have to insert the j3d in the game. To do that you need cmputil.exe which can be downloaded on the Orionwarrior web site. Once you get that file do the following:

1) copy the file in the Graphics folder of the game (program files/sonalyst/dangerous waters/graphics)
2) copy your j3d model in the same directory
2) open dos prompt
3) with the dos prompt go to the above mentioned graphics folder
4) type 'cmputil.exe 3d "name of your j3d model" ' then press enter.
Now you have introduced the model in the game. If everything is done correctly you will see in the game the model you created for the unit you modified in the 3dobject.txt file.

This is just the basics. You can create nations, classes of ships, sensors, weapons by changing the database. For these kind of changes it's maybe better to use Ludger Styra's DWDBEditor (which you can find on subguru webpage). It's a quite easy tool that allows you to modify the database via an easy-to-use interface.

awood6535
06-30-06, 05:54 PM
I can't get it to work

XabbaRus
06-30-06, 06:20 PM
With model names the dbase is case sensitive.

So make sure your dbase model file name matches that of the real file.

awood6535
06-30-06, 07:16 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Family>\program files\sonalyst combat simulations\dangerous waters\database ReadWriteDWDB.exe export object.eod

'\program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

(The command prompt is giving me the above when I enter the information from the top line. Please help. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, or what is going wrong?):damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

aaken
07-01-06, 03:18 AM
recheck the sintax. it seems it did not like >\program files

LuftWolf
07-01-06, 06:19 AM
In order to use jsteed's editor you have to have MS Access 2000 installed.

awood6535
07-01-06, 08:50 AM
I got it to work about 2:30 am last night I tell you I need to learn dos agian