PDA

View Full Version : Concepts in Submarine Design by Roy Burcher and Louis Rydill

Deathblow
04-24-06, 03:00 PM
I bought this book a little while back

Concepts in Submarine Design by Roy Burcher and Louis Rydill (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052155926X/qid=1145908338/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5896544-7892150?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

Its a engineering perpective on some of the nuances of submarine design, construction, and performance. Written from a design point of view with writing that assumes at least a basic introductory college math, physics or engineering background. There are some chapters (1 or 2 out of 11) that are moderately filled with equations and graphs, while other are predominantly conceptual and contemplative.

Its come in pretty handy. Though I've not read it from front to back cover yet (I don't have time to really read consistently), I from time to time read selected chapters to provide some insights to the "why and how" of some aspects of sub performance. Things such as "Why do some subs use X rudders and some use cruciform," or "why to some subs put there sails in the front of the boat?"

If anyone is like me and likes to know the "how and why" with a twist of engineering appreciation, or if your a daydream sub designer (if I had to build a sub I'ld make it like this or that) then it may be something that you would enjoy.

Anyone that would like to know more let me know and I'll try to give a honest opinion.

db

Trinidad
08-28-08, 11:53 AM
Hi Deathblow,

I'm really interested in this kind of things....I like maths and this science stuff...I'm an engineer so you can imagine. This book is worth the money or should I try to find it over the internet for free?

McBeck
08-29-08, 01:07 AM
Hi Deathblow,

I'm really interested in this kind of things....I like maths and this science stuff...I'm an engineer so you can imagine. This book is worth the money or should I try to find it over the internet for free?I assume you are not talking of an illegal copy there Trinidad, since that is a really big no-no here at Subsim :arrgh!:

Trinidad
08-29-08, 01:23 AM
Hi Deathblow,

I'm really interested in this kind of things....I like maths and this science stuff...I'm an engineer so you can imagine. This book is worth the money or should I try to find it over the internet for free?I assume you are not talking of an illegal copy there Trinidad, since that is a really big no-no here at Subsim :arrgh!:

I talking about e-books...there are places in internet where you can find them......many of them, not all. Maybe this book is not in e-book format yet. Thatś what I mean.

Besides..there is another problem (for me)....I like books, traditional books...with pages, cover..more than electronic format books... So also asked if it's worthy to have the book as itself.

I didn mean an illegal copy...itś clearly said in the registration agreement : nothing illegal....

McBeck
08-29-08, 08:13 AM
Hi Deathblow,

I talking about e-books...there are places in internet where you can find them......many of them, not all. Maybe this book is not in e-book format yet. Thatś what I mean.

Besides..there is another problem (for me)....I like books, traditional books...with pages, cover..more than electronic format books... So also asked if it's worthy to have the book as itself.

I didn mean an illegal copy...itś clearly said in the registration agreement : nothing illegal....
Good man! Keep up the good work :up: