PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Pacific Info

Chris Bate
04-02-06, 07:29 AM
Hi, I am looking for a good, detailed book on WW2 Pacific navel operations, events, ship types (with details) etc etc.

Well not just the navel operations, but also general events infomation of the pacific war in ww2 (such as islands liberated etc etc)

I thought I would ask on this forum as you lot seem to know your beans :)

Thanks in advance.

TLAM Strike
04-04-06, 09:11 PM
Submarine! by Edward L. Beach ISBN# 0743487990

Covers a lot of the submarine operations in the PTO.

blue3golf
04-05-06, 04:27 PM
"A War To Be Won" by Williamson Murray and Allan R. Millet is pretty good. It covers the European theatre as well but what it has about the Pacific is in depth and well written.

SKeeM
04-06-06, 01:38 AM
The Big E! I forget the auther but its about the carrier Enterprise during the war. Most intresting and most detailed.

Driftwood
04-07-06, 03:19 PM
Silent Victory: The US Submarine War Against Japan by Clay Blair Jr. :up:

Threadfin
05-04-06, 12:50 PM
Agree with Driftwood, if I were to only have one book on US boats in the Pacific (like that's possible), Blair's Silent Victory would be the one.

Driftwood
05-04-06, 03:11 PM
Wake of the Wahoo and Clear the Bridge by RADM Richard O'Kane. Excellent coverage of classic WWII US Submarine tactics.

Threadfin
05-06-06, 01:08 PM
Good books, agreed, but Forest Sterling wrote Wake of the Wahoo, O'Kane wrote Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine along with Clear the Bridge..

Sailor Steve
05-06-06, 01:44 PM
Samuel Eliot Morison's United States Naval operations In World War Two. Fifteen volumes, but fairly cheap these days. It will answer every question you have.

Driftwood
05-07-06, 08:40 AM
Good books, agreed, but Forest Sterling wrote Wake of the Wahoo, O'Kane wrote Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine along with Clear the Bridge..

Ooops! :oops: Thanks for the correction and my apologies to both authors.