PDA

View Full Version : Pacific or Atlantic? why cant we have both??

JU_88
03-27-06, 05:25 AM
I agree 100% that SHIV needs to be Pacific, another Atlantic game alone (3rd in a row) would be marketing suicide for Ubi.
There is a divide though, some what Pacific, while some feel the Atlanic isnt finnished...
But its SH4 not SH3.5 after all right?

But who says we cant have both?? i personally think they should re-relase Sh3 on the same disk as SH4 pacific, touched up with all the improvments they apply to SH4 rather that worry about backwards comptibilty with SH3 - which will be quite outdated by the time SHIV is due for release next year.

Imagine if you could play as German, British, US and japanese submarines?

Look at it this way, the Atlantic campaign is already 80% done! it just needs some more german and italian traffic moddelled, in the North sea and the Med.

The U-boats are already done! and just need to be imported from SH3, (though they really do need to model the type XIV) The Germans could still be included in the pacific for their limited role in the south china sea (Monsun boats).

They could model playable S,T,U,V class submarines for the Brits. (U and V are virtually identical anyway, like a VIIB is to a VIIC)
The Brits hunting grounds would be the Med, Baltic and North seas where their subs had much success. Later on they can join the pacific campaign with the U.S against the japanese (T-class subs were used here)

The U.S and Japanese Subs would all need to be done from sratch along witht the entire pacific Campaign! that will be the main priority for SH4 after all.

Think about it, they have:
The Game Engine (which will need some tweaking),
Campaign Editor,
A ton of ships already modlelled,
And the best part of two years to work on the project....
Consider that the first two on the list took up most of SH3s development time, are already in place thus freeing up alot of time and rescources to concentrate elsewhere.

Then Just think what a destroyer command addon could offer for my fantasy version of SH4!!!
The end product could be both theatres, with 4 sides, with playble Destroyers and Subs.
Now that would keep almost everyone of us happy so long as they maintain and hopefully improve on level of detail that was in SH3!

I know the more die hard simmers here might frown upon this idea, as they worry that having four nations subs = less detail for each one, and yes, more content means some trade offs, theres no doubt about it.
But dont you think four campaigns over multiple theatres is going to add to more long lasting playabilty than say- being able to visit all your subs compartments?, lets face it we spend most of the game staring at the nav map anyway! I know thats just one example, but the level of detail in an unmodded SH3 is already satisfactory no?

Am I wrong? your opinions please.

AG124
03-27-06, 08:24 AM
That does sound good, especially if there is a SDK (even a limited one) so that modders can add even more to the game after release. However, I don't think there is any chance of that much content being added to the game, although they do have a lot of time to work on it.

Tonnage_Ace
03-27-06, 01:38 PM
That's a real mystery to me, why was the SDK never released? Every game, most notably Half Life, which propped up the game until Half Life 2 came out. But the way in which Half Life was modded showed other devs how important releasing the SDK is for the survival of a game, cost efficient as well because the community can fix bugs while the devs can concentrate on sequels. Now every game practically releases the SDK after a release, sometimes it happens before the game is released to the public! The fact that we've been able to alter the gameplay and visual aspects of SHIV is quite amazing althought we can't touch anything that has to do with the exe files...

Rosencrantz
03-29-06, 05:39 PM
Why can't we have both?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

It seems to be big task enough to get somekind of sim / game for ONE side and ONE type of platform. I hope they can build up a good game with no bugs (I know... you never get that), with GOOD AI, with GOOD sub models and, IF POSSIBLE, some new features... Best parts from AOD, SH and SHIII and that's it.

By the way, I think Pac theatre is the best possible backround for WWII subsim. Why? It's more simple than Atlantic. No wolfpacks (they are not essential at all when in pac), smaller convoys etc.

Subnuts
03-30-06, 05:06 PM
Why can't we have both?

By the way, I think Pac theatre is the best possible backround for WWII subsim. Why? It's more simple than Atlantic. No wolfpacks (they are not essential at all when in pac), smaller convoys etc.

Have you ever read Clay Blair's Silent Victory? You'd be surprised how much the Americans used "wolfpacks" of three or four boats to great effect in the last 18 months of the war.

JU_88
03-30-06, 07:23 PM
You tell him,

Jesus! Dont give the devs a reason to ignore Sub Ai again :damn: :damn:

Rosencrantz
04-02-06, 02:12 AM
Yep Subnuts. You are right. I just mean, I don't see the wolfpacks as essential in the Pac campaign. Most of the boats in the Pac never joined any of these late war sub groups. Japanese convoys were also MUCH smaller than their allied counterparts and I'm not very eager to travel in top speed maybe hours just to find out AI subs got them 15 minutes before I woulde have been able even to see a convoy. (Situation is a little bit different if the player would be in TacCom) So personally I wouldn't mind if there wouldn't be any group actions in SHIV. (Just wondering, when we'll see the Atlantic campaign with the wolfpacks...)
About platforms: Even if the backround is ready for more types, I'm still thinking: Many types = More bugs and less details. I'm more interested in better damage models, sifts system for crew and many other things...

-RC-

JU_88
04-02-06, 02:14 PM
Im not so bothered about wolf pack tactics for the pacific, but i dont want to be the only operational submarine in the whole ocean again - that aspect of SH3 was very gamey and well... crap!

Rosencrantz
04-02-06, 03:33 PM
JU88, I agree. It would be much more interesting if there would be AI subs hunting with you, sending contact reports, victory messages, or asking urgent help if attacked and maybe sinking or something. If we have our own surface units out there, why not subs. But wolf tactics... I don't know... It would be a real challenge for Devs to have it work properly. Maybe for instance I would like to see:

1) Every contact report coming through radio with coordinates - no more auto map updates with a "pony tail" to indicate targets exact course.
2) More radio messages to keep you informed what's going on overall.
3) Friendly units giving / requesting indentification signals via lamp or radio (for example DD's protecting your home base) + giving you a friendly message - not just bypassing without any reactions.
4) Weather reports given to you by radio.
5) A minor possibility to get new orders while on patrol
6) MORE friendly units at base and "dynamic harbour personals" - no more beautiful nurses with t-shirts when it's stormy, foggy night... At least: Rain coats on!

and so on...

JU_88
04-03-06, 03:09 AM
A couple of minor points,

Nuetral ships travel with lights on at night

When fog surround your sub in time compression, your wathc reports it "visibility nil / poor sir" rather than just leaving your sub compromised.

Boris
04-04-06, 11:30 AM
I also think SH4 should include the atlantic theatre. Not playing as the germans will just not be the same for me, and I see the pac theatre as only a bit of a novelty. Personally I'd rather see the European/Atlantic theatre done properly with all the features everyone has ever wanted.

Sailor Steve
04-04-06, 12:59 PM
I also think SH4 should include the atlantic theatre. Not playing as the germans will just not be the same for me, and I see the pac theatre as only a bit of a novelty. Personally I'd rather see the European/Atlantic theatre done properly with all the features everyone has ever wanted.
But you already have the Atlantic Theater with SHIII. Unless SHIV is a completely new game with a completely new engine and completely new graphics (which it almost certainly won't be this soon after SHIII), what is the point?

-Pv-
04-05-06, 11:41 PM
AOD was not a perfect game. SHII was not perfect, SHIII was not perfect. This is a chance for those with an interest in the Pac to have an imperfect game to complain about so we'll all have something in common for once. Hats off the SHI but it's too old to contend with the games mentioned above.

Come on. Three games. You Atl peeps had your shot. SH4 will not be perfect so you'll have your chance to gloat and say "see, it should have been Atlantic again." Of the many things the Pac has going for it, it made SH so popular it provided the incentive to produce 2+3. I see this as getting back to the success of the original project. It may finance the next perfect sub game. Those of you young enough, you'll undoubtedly see many more sub games. I'm 53 and waited a long time for this. People like me who saw Run Silent, Run Deep the 1st time when I was a kid, will never lose that mystique nor the desire to experience it in a game.

My older brother saw RSRD at the same time I did and went out and joined the Sub service the next week.
-Pv-

DeepSix
04-05-06, 11:56 PM
I see this as getting back to the success of the original project. It may finance the next perfect sub game.

Me, too. I'm 34 so I had to see RSRD on VHS, but even so it was probably the first submarine movie I ever saw. I still remember hours and hours spent (wasted?) on Gato and Silent Service.

I look at SH4 with the thought that now I'll be able to play and enjoy not only the historical significance (like I do with the u-boats) but also get to be on "our side."